Superbus ____ Vol. Why is California spending $70B on High Speed rail?

I'm not sure what the cost of this thing is, or what a ticket costs, but this seems like a pretty good alternative to the public transportation debate. It seems fairly private, stylish, and comfortable for a trip. Not to mention the road infrastructure is already available in any major city.

I rather do Elon Musk Hyperrail

That looks like a bad idea since the space is limited so people cant bring things on

Its a bus for rich people not the public

Boy your comparison is flawed to say the least ...

Bathroom? Walking Space? Traffic Jams? Cargo Space? Etc Etc Etc ....

wait i r confused...

i could see this work on some sort of local level but isnt that high speed rail from SF to LA?

Last edited:
Boy your comparison is flawed to say the least ...

Bathroom? Walking Space? Traffic Jams? Cargo Space? Etc Etc Etc ....
I wasn't trying to make a direct correlation to this & long haul buses. But this type of thing with some modifications to give long haul a run for its money too.

But in California, public transportation is almost a scarlet letter with maybe the exception of BART. This seems fairly private, comfortable, & fast. Add some wifi & you're set, right?

FYI... There are no traffic jams in the central valley of California. You're lucky to have to go slower than 80 on a trip (And I've never seen a cop patrolling that stretch on several dozen trips either)
wait i r confused...

i could see this work on some sort of local level but isnt that high speed rail from SF to LA?
Yes, with numerous stops in LA, OC & the central valley. If it's not going to be a straight shot, why not use existing infrastructure.

sounds like a waste of money to me

But then again, this is the same forum where people think its a good idea to discontinue school buses and make disabled children catch cabs to school.

Last edited:
What's the ETA for the trip and is there an estimated cost already set for the high speed rail?

What's the ETA for the trip and is there an estimated cost already set for the high speed rail?

Yes, voters passed the bond measure for it 4 years ago for $70B. However, with normal cost overruns of these types of projects, it's estimated that it'll end up costing around $150B. It'll take about 3-4 hrs. to make the trip from LA to SF due to all the stops along the way. After all... Who wouldn't want to stop in lovely Fresno for a snack?

For the record everyone... I think both this & the HSR are bad ideas for any long haul trips when we still have fairly affordable air travel.

Why are conservatives so against public transportation? Not everybody can afford a car.

[Insert] white people coming out of a bus that looks like a BBC joke [/Insert]

Last edited:
Sounds like a waste to me too. Cruising at 155 sounds like a bad idea. The buses would need their own lane/road to be built too, right?

Why are conservatives so against public transportation? Not everybody can afford a car.
I'll just speak to the HSR in California. The price & speed aren't there compared to flying. You can get from LA to SF in less than an hour for under $100. Compared to the price of the proposed HSR line, it'll take at least 4-5x as long and the cost projected out to every adult in the state is $3000 EACH.

If we want to talk about city public transit, I have no problem with it other than I think smaller buses could be used on many routes around my area. Rarely have I seen the buses even half full even during rush hour. But that's a whole nother debate.
Sounds like a waste to me too. Cruising at 155 sounds like a bad idea. The buses would need their own lane/road to be built too, right?
Theoretically, yes. But you could also just convert the Diamond/Carpool/HOV lanes to strictly high speed public transportation too.

This and the hyperloop are completely impractical. Hyperloop seems sound in theory but, it seems like it'll be disaster if one of them crashes. You would either crash or stop with extreme force/high Gs which would make you though up your insides due to the speed. They want to run it back to back too so that would have to react extremely quick to problems and shut down the system for complex repairing. High-speed=High Risk, Hyper-speed=We're not ready for that on the ground yet.

Because it'll still get stuck in traffic on the 5, entering LA, and leaving LA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom