Taking the SATs in two weeks.. Any tips from past test takers?

I didnt study and didnt get that much sleep and i got a 1650. Probably could have done better with a few more hours sleep.
frown.gif

Get sleep.
Good breakfast.
Dont stress.
DONT GUESS! Blank>stupid guesses.
DONT BE LIKE ME AND FORGET A PENCIL!
laugh.gif

i got a 1560 partying the night before and not studying as a junior..

if i were you i would buy the SAT question book that collegeboard releases, and break the practice tests down into sections. it helps.
its not as hard as people make it out to be. just pace yourself, for the most part you'll be working until the last minute of each section. bring acalculator, the SAT is designed so you dont need one, because the math only goes up to like 9th grade algebra. but still a calculator helps alot with time andstuff.
i didnt eat breakfast i had a piece of toast, i was starving.. eat breakfast you dont want to be distracted.
leaving things blank=no points against you. so thats a good look.

Originally Posted by bjm5295

I didnt study and didnt get that much sleep and i got a 1650. Probably could have done better with a few more hours sleep.
frown.gif

Get sleep.
Good breakfast.
Dont stress.
laugh.gif
Actually, guess all you want. Every right answer is +1, every wrong answer is -1/4. If you get 1 out of every 4 guess right (a pretty goodpossiblity), there'll be no harm. If you're able to narrow down the answers, your odds will be much greater and you'll probably add points to yourscore. Otherwise, pay attention, read everything and don't stress. Good luck!

Originally Posted by raburns04

Originally Posted by bjm5295

frown.gif

Get sleep.
Good breakfast.
Dont stress.
laugh.gif
Actually, guess all you want. Every right answer is +1, every wrong answer is -1/4. If you get 1 out of every 4 guess right (a pretty good possiblity), there'll be no harm. If you're able to narrow down the answers, your odds will be much greater and you'll probably add points to your score. Otherwise, pay attention, read everything and don't stress. Good luck!
Agreed. What I meant was dont randomly guess like out of four, cause that'll get you in trouble. If you can get it down to 2 possible answers,then its okay to guess.

Don't take it too seriously. I went to a midnight showing of one of the X-Men movies the night before and still did pretty good (1300 out of 1600)

with that said, we got a lot of smart NTers
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by chrisl5mavs

Originally Posted by 2sappy

well all the things posted here are good suggestions. what worked for me was getting a lot of sleep and NOT studying at all for either of the tests. i got a 2200 on the SAT 1 and a 2250 on the SAT 2. it was funny and sad that i got such high scores on my test while other people studied their heads off and barely got in the 1500's, and all i ever did was play ps2 all day.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Playing games instead of studying FTW!!!
pimp.gif

lol.. bro i feel the same way... i didnt get as high a score as you.. but to put it in perspective... i havent met one person from my graduating class this yr. who has gotten a higher score than me..
i didnt study at alll..
pimp.gif
Ducktales. Highest score on SAT II's is 800.

Night before:
-get a good sleep and watch a comedy to ease your nerves if you're nervous.

Day of:
-good breakfast. nothing that might make you go to the bathroom
-don't sit next to someone who might distract you (during breaks and the test).
-snacks but not too many liquids
-when reading, pretend to be interested. once you lose interest, you'll start slipping.

if i think of more, i'll add.

Originally Posted by soltheman

They still use the same words. They haven' added any of the newer (bling bling,) additions.

Use the review CD. And sign up for Word of The Day at dictionary.com.

It helped me a lot. I got a 490 in a scoring range of 450-530. 18th percentile in the state.
you realize that means 82% of people did better than you, right?

If you take it at your high school. Scout who you know that's smart and who you can cheat off. Everyone has the same test just the sections are mixed up. Idid that with English. I got like mid 500s in English but 700+ on my math each time. Well I copied the English sections off a kid who was in honors English atmy school the last time I took it. Ended up jumping another 60 points.

Originally Posted by LB510

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

1. Get lots of sleep
2. Take more than one pencil
3. Extra batteries for ur calulator
4. Eat a good breakfast
5. In regards to #4 don't eat anything that gives u the b.g.s
6. Dress comfortable
7. Don't read too much into it

Most ppl don't know this but the SAT is not a test that test your knowledge, but moreso how well u test.

great list

agreed

Originally Posted by Frank 7he T4nk

It can't be stated enough; get a lot of sleep before the test.
Listen to this man.

I was on NT all night before I took my SAT.

I could barely stay awake.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

Originally Posted by chrisl5mavs

Originally Posted by 2sappy

well all the things posted here are good suggestions. what worked for me was getting a lot of sleep and NOT studying at all for either of the tests. i got a 2200 on the SAT 1 and a 2250 on the SAT 2. it was funny and sad that i got such high scores on my test while other people studied their heads off and barely got in the 1500's, and all i ever did was play ps2 all day.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Playing games instead of studying FTW!!!
pimp.gif

lol.. bro i feel the same way... i didnt get as high a score as you.. but to put it in perspective... i havent met one person from my graduating class this yr. who has gotten a higher score than me..
i didnt study at alll..
pimp.gif
Ducktales. Highest score on SAT II's is 800.

the max is 800, you are correct on that, BUT you can take a maximum of 3 tests for that one. its the SAT subject test for a reason, and as you cansee, i took the limit of three.
tongue.gif

don't go in either drunk, or super loaded. =/ I had to walk out and reschedule.
But couple weeks after, I retook the test and did okay=)

I tutor SAT on the side...here are some tips that I use that helped my kids improve:

Verbal:
- For long reading comprehension, make sure you know the main idea and the tone. If you haven't figured it out by the end of the first paragraph, you needto re-read.
- The questions are always the same: Main idea, inferential, vocabulary, and one question that ties to each paragraph. Match the question with the paragraphand you're set.
- The answers can be found IN the passage. If you can't find your answer IN the passage, YOU'RE WRONG.
- Shorter reading comprehension is actually a bit harder. Again, the answers are IN the passage. When answering questions like "the author's attitudeis most likely..." look for KEY WORDS to justify your answer.
- Sentence completions are easy if you know how to approach them. Obviously nobody can know ALL the words. Sometimes you need to make the best educated guess.Ask yourself "do I need a positive, negative, or neutral word?" and go from there. Don't try to fill both blanks at once; the moment you knowshould fit, eliminate choices that go against your logic.
- The answer is usually explicitly stated in the sentence. Watch for "detour" words, like despite, although, furthermore, however, blah blah becausethese words will most likely determine your answer.
- If you don't know the vocabulary word, you can't cross it out. Only cross out words you KNOW don't fit.

Writing:
- The writing section is repeated OVER AND OVER again. The same types of questions come up. Matching the action with the subject, singular/plural, consistencyin verb tense, diction, possessives, etc.
- Practice enough sections and you'll start to notice routines.

Math:
- Take the easy way out: for questions with variables that seem to hard to do, plug in one of the choices and go for it.
- Don't rely on the calculator. Remember, calculators are OPTIONAL, so everything can be done without it.
- For the free-answers, DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING BLANK. You don't get penalized for wrong answers.
- The math section has a lot of triangle related stuff...practice hypotenuse-related questions (lengths of diagonals of cubes)
- The math section has a lot of circle related stuff...practice stuff with radii, radians, circumference, area, and so on.

You've heard the "you can't study for the SAT" claims, which is kinda true, but you CAN practice for it. Don't sit on your butt andexpect everything to turn out for the best...PRACTICE as much as you can. A section should take more than 25 minutes. I'm not too big on cheating. Wouldyou really want someone else's performance determining your collegiate career?

Back
Top Bottom