Teen denied heart transplant due to bad grades and trouble with the law according to family

i mean if he isnt on the right course and there's reason to believe he's abusing the medication he's supposed to be taking then idk man... but also don they do the same thing to drug addicts and alcoholics?

but who am i to judge ?

denying a CHILD a heart transplant?

SMH
You're playing right into what this kid's family wants you to think. They're trolling for sympathy by tugging at everyone's heart strings. They know what they did by making him seem like the poor black kid being jerked around by the big, bad white hospital. The protocols are so stringent, that one little deviation is all it takes to strike you from the list. Sucks, but thems the rules.
lol @ the sarcasm behind "big bad white" ya know the same people that had blacks drinking from separate water fountains less than 60 years ago

it'll take yall double the amount of time yall oppressed blacks and other minorities to wipe your hands clean from the savage **** yall did under the name of "god"  

white apologists are hands down the most annoying people walking on this earth.....man up and realize what some of yall are 

much love to my open minded and caring euro americans though

in the hospital's mind the bad grades too them racist doctors, means to them that the black kid is dumb and is not going to college so he can't contribute anything to society so let him rot.... that how they be thinking, especially in prisons, let them all rot and die... smh racism is still alive, and white privelage

The bad grades and trouble with the law story is pretty unbelievable.

There aren't enough organs to go around and if this kid wasn't doing what he was supposed to do, then by all means he should be removed from the list. It doesn't take much for the organ to be rejected and the doctors involved already believe that he's shown that he isn't taking this seriously.

I love all the people with no medical background speaking on how atrocious this is and especially those throwing out race but yet have no idea but how stringent the criteria are to get on and stay on a transplant list. about 20 people including kids die each day from not being able to get a transplant and unfortunately depending on the organ someone has to die for the transplant to be available ie the heart.
unfortunately I get the pleasure of getting called many times in the middle of the night to come perform a biopsy on someone who is technically dead but being kept alive to make sure the organ is suitable for transplant

denying a CHILD a heart transplant?

SMH

You're playing right into what this kid's family wants you to think. They're trolling for sympathy by tugging at everyone's heart strings. They know what they did by making him seem like the poor black kid being jerked around by the big, bad white hospital. The protocols are so stringent, that one little deviation is all it takes to strike you from the list. Sucks, but thems the rules.

lol @ the sarcasm behind "big bad white" ya know the same people that had blacks drinking from separate water fountains less than 60 years ago

it'll take yall double the amount of time yall oppressed blacks and other minorities to wipe your hands clean from the savage **** yall did under the name of "god"  

white apologists are hands down the most annoying people walking on this earth.....man up and realize what some of yall are 

much love to my open minded and caring euro americans though

Heeeey.... yeah. Um... I'm Black. And I REALLY think that syphilis has spread to your brain.

This is why I don't watch or read the news anymore. I want all the details up front and some credible sources would be nice. But until than I have no comment on this matter.

So what were they suppose to do? "welp son they won't put you on the list I guess we'll just wait til one day your heart stops"

If their sons life was that important to them, they would have done EVERYTHING to follow protocol to MAKE sure he got a transplant, make sure he takes his meds, make sure he doesn't miss any appointments and so forth. If this guy was in jail he could still get his meds there and have a doctor come visit. Why waste a heart on someone who hasn't followed protocol and who hasn't prepped his body for the transplant it just makes for a greater chance of organ rejection.

Just tired of people trying to circumvent the rules laid out to get what they want.

If their sons life was that important to them, they would have done EVERYTHING to follow protocol to MAKE sure he got a transplant, make sure he takes his meds, make sure he doesn't miss any appointments and so forth. If this guy was in jail he could still get his meds there and have a doctor come visit. Why waste a heart on someone who hasn't followed protocol and who hasn't prepped his body for the transplant it just makes for a greater chance of organ rejection.

Just tired of people trying to circumvent the rules laid out to get what they want.

Well said

Amazing I feel more sorry for the kids he was put above. Social Media had the hospital by the nuts. Children's Hospitals require donations, bad press leads to less donations.

Good point about the pressure Digglo. Same thing happened in Jersey when two parents used the media to essentially strong arm their daughter onto the adult organ list for two lungs. A doctor the news spoke to about the situation said that these decisions are very difficult to make and aren't done so in jest. It sets a very bad precedent because the list rules are being broken. This kid better be grateful and do everything he's supposed to do because someone he jumped will likely die.

So what were they suppose to do? "welp son they won't put you on the list I guess we'll just wait til one day your heart stops"

That's cool and all but I was asking what they could of done at the particular moment not months before to prevent this. I don't want anyone to tell me what I could of done when I'm trying to figure out what to do now. Things change when your child's life is on the line.

"why waste a heart on someone who hasn't followed protocol", maybe because his life should be worth more than a set of hospital rules?

If he and his family aren't willing to follow the rules, then obviously his life isn't worth much.

That's cool and all but I was asking what they could of done at the particular moment not months before to prevent this. I don't want anyone to tell me what I could of done when I'm trying to figure out what to do now. Things change when your child's life is on the line.

"why waste a heart on someone who hasn't followed protocol", maybe because his life should be worth more than a set of hospital rules?

You already drank the Kool Aid man. Rules are rules. What happens if this kid jumped your kid on the list and you were following all protocols set?

Wish the hospital stuck to their guns. People need to learn discipline not *****ing and complaining when something doesn't go their way. All this medical care was free to them and they still couldn't follow rules.

My feelings are that everyone that needs an organ should get one. Especially a 15 year old kid. But the harsh reality is that the amount of patients that need an organ far outweighs the actual amount of organs harvested. When you have such a limited resource and there is no way you can save everyone, the organs should go to the patients with the overall highest chance of survival. All factors should be included PMH, FMH, and yes compliance should also be a factor.

One principal reason for transplant rejection is non-adherence to prescribed immunosuppressant regimens. This is particularly the case with adolescent recipients,[17] with non-adherence rates near 50% in some instances.[17]

So if he missed appointments and wasnt taking his meds the right way (an assumption because non-compliance was never clearly defined due to HIPAA) what makes you think he will become compliant post-transplant? Does his past behavior make you think that he will follow the immunosuppressant regimens down to the letter for the rest of his life? Are their other patients whose strict adherence to doctors orders increase their overall chance of survival?

Feel free to agree, or disagree if you want. But instead of being a keyboard warrior please become organ donors. Click here http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/stateregistries.html and then click on your state.

Shut up I didn't realize the title was misleading.
Thats because you started typing a response before you even read the article.

That would be a necessary part of presenting  an unbiased, informed opinion...

Back
Top Bottom