The 2015 NBA Draft Thread: Draft Day Is Here

All I was trying to say without spelling it out was....
Potential if JO gets a solid jumper TO GO with his Post Game >>> Without.

Marc Gasol is the best back-to-the-basket C in the L and its not even close IMO

Boogie is a hybrid but I'd put him #2

Al Jeff #3
Duncan #4
Brook #5

Last edited:
Lol man 25 year old Shaq could come into the league now and you would still have your dudes doing the usual OMG the spacing would be terrible ****

Okafor at worst is going to be a top 5 offensive center the second he touches the court

People say this sort of stuff ALL THE TIME about bigs coming out of college. Maybe not to the level of Okafor - but still.

People are always thinking that a low post scorer in college won't have any trouble scoring in the post in the league. Then they start playing stronger, bigger, more physical guys. They start facing quick NBA double teams, being fronted by quicker guys, being pushed out of the paint by beasts. All of a sudden that elite post scorer is just pretty good or average. He has to turn to offensive rebounds, a faceup game to score buckets. It took Cousins a LONG time to score effectively in the post and even then - he had to adapt his game. Ton of jump shots, lots of facing up, getting position on the glass. Cousins was an absolute bully in the post in college with a big body and elite touch around the rim.

Okafor is no Shaq. No one is Shaq. Dude was a freak of nature that could not be contained or slowed down by ANYONE.

^^^ ALL. OF. THAT.

When I originally mentioned the name Shaq I meant the straight post entry feeding that he got game in and game out.

We will never see another dominant big man like Shaq.

RealGM Radio: Sam Vecenie On The NBA Draft

In this episode, host Daniel Leroux (@DannyLeroux) talks about the upcoming NBA Draft with Sam Vecenie of CBS Sports and the Amateur Hour podcast (@Sam_Vecenie).

The two discuss the top four prospects (Karl Towns, Jahlil Okafor, Emmanuel Mudiay and D'Angelo Russell) and their potential fits with the recent lottery results, the depth of this draft class and some of their favorite prospects outside of the lottery.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237963/RealGM-Radio-Sam-Vecenie-On-The-NBA-Draft

2015 NBA DRAFT BREAKDOWN – DEVIN BOOKER
Games Watched: Kentucky v. Louisville, Kentucky v. Notre Dame, Kentucky v. Arkansas and Kentucky v. Wisconsin

OVERALL: 18 year old son of former NBA player Melvin Booker. Known primarily for his shooting. Great stroke both off the bounce and catch and shoot. Has athletic ability but not overwhelming. Smart play who does little things that shows his understanding of the game. Coach Calapari showed great confidence in him early in the season in big moments giving him minutes. Terrific ball mover and passer. Sees plays before they happen.

Will Be Solid Pro If ….. Makes shots. Thought of as best shooter in the draft. Scored on 1.17 pts per possession on spot ups. One of the best in the college game. EFG% was 57.8%. On unguarded shots he was deadly at 68.6 efg%.

Will Struggle as Pro if … all he does is make spot up shots. Teams went at him on the defensive end and he had a hard time handling it. May not be athletic enough to handle the defensive responsibility in the NBA. In addition, had a hard time getting free off picks to get his looks at times on the college level. Speed of NBA game could reduce his ability to be a shot maker. Off screens he didn’t shoot well on the college level his EFG% was 43.2%. Off the bounce he shot just 37.3% and 38.2 efg%.
http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2015/05/27/2015-nba-draft-breakdown-devin-booker/

Last edited:
Decent video on Devin Booker

Looks like it touched on some of the things we discussed earlier. I noted that he displayed all the effort and desire you could hope for on the defensive end, but his average athleticism may not allow him to get past a certain ceiling 

He's 18 years old, he could get stronger/quicker/faster-- he's already shown that in "drills" at the combine. He's proving he can look good in "drills". Now when it comes to the game, at the next level, we will see. On either end of the floor, in the college season you could easily see he's just not an athlete

Regardless of his physical tools, I hope his shot becomes semi elite because that's the only way he becomes a niche starter in the league for years to come. That would help him create more offense and give him some wiggle off the dribble. If it isn't elite, I still think he can be a nice bench player. His intelligence and team focus should keep him on a roster

Love Devin and Stanley, especially Devin's defensive potential despite his limitations. Think he could be a JJ Redick type of defender in the league.

Will Booker's shot ever be as elite as JJ's though? I was thinking-- JJ was a historical shooter in college. That alone gave him a shot to even be on the floor and improve his defense at the next level

If Booker doesn't show the ability to be better than good with his shot (set shot, off curls, screens and off the dribble) will he even get the chance to show his defense...

He's such a young guy that I'd still take a chance on him early

Will Booker's shot ever be as elite as JJ's though? I was thinking-- JJ was a historical shooter in college. That alone gave him a shot to even be on the floor and improve his defense at the next level

If Booker doesn't show the ability to be better than good with his shot (set shot, off curls, screens and off the dribble) will he even get the chance to show his defense...

He's such a young guy that I'd still take a chance on him early

Freshman JJ - 39% from 3, 91%:smile:x) from the line.

Booker - 41% from 3, 82% from the line.

Freshman JJ - 39% from 3, 91%(
sick.gif
) from the line.

Booker - 41% from 3, 82% from the line.
JJ: 95-238 from 3 in 33 games

Booker: 58-141 from 3 in 38 games

Do you think Booker would have evolved into a JJ type caliber player/shooter further into his college career (given he played at a different school than Kentucky because he was never going to shoot that many 3's at Kentucky 
laugh.gif
)

Me personally, I have a hard time seeing that

Last edited:
This is just 
sick.gif

Keep in mind, teams were scheming and game planning to prevent him from shooting 3's or pushing him off the line, double teaming etc.

JJ's ranks:

3-Point Field Goals 
2002-03 ACC 95 (1st)
2003-04 NCAA 102 (8th)
2003-04 ACC 102 (2nd)
2004-05 NCAA 121 (3rd)
2004-05 ACC 121 (1st)
2005-06 NCAA 139 (1st)
2005-06 ACC 139 (1st)
Career NCAA* 457 (2nd)
Career ACC* 457 (1st)

Last edited:
Also Stanley surprised a lot of people with his marksmanship from deep this year, but I have serious reservations about his shot release point. Seems too low to ever get good results out of in the NBA. His form makes it really hard for me to see him being an effective shooter off the bounce. Could end up being an awesome 3 and D guy though. He's also a little too heavy IMO.

Rooting for him however, that's the homie. 

I really wish booker could have stay a few years like thompson but like vincent said at that age its gonna be worth the risk .

When exactly did klay begin putting up real #'s for the warriors ? like year 2-3 ...on top of that he stayed 3 years in college so you hope whoever draft him has patience .

Last edited:
name this player:

Weaknesses: An average athlete who plays below the rim ... He's a "momentum athlete" in the sense that he shows solid athleticism when he has momentum moving towards the rim ... Much better in the half court than in the open floor. His lack of elite athleticism gets exposed in the transition game ... Lacks great foot speed which inhibits his ability to take the ball off the dribble against quick defender...Long, athletic defenders can give him trouble

That's exactly why I said I'd still take the chance on Booker. He has everything else you could hope for: intelligence, IQ, height, size, desire on the defensive end, team player, unselfish, good mechanics on shot, played in a winning culture already etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom