The 25 most Overrated things in hip hop history

i've been sayin this for years.

when reasonable doubt dropped nobody was checkin for it or listening to it.

nobody called it a classic until jay started callin it a classic after he dropped blueprint.

same thing wit andre 3000 nobody every mentioned him amongst the greatest rappers ever, until blaze magazine made that list around 99-2000.

if you dont know these FACTS, youre probably too young or just stupid.

Originally Posted by Girl thats Jules

i've been sayin this for years.

when reasonable doubt dropped nobody was checkin for it or listening to it.

nobody called it a classic until jay started callin it a classic after he dropped blueprint.
no
it dropped in 96, I think by 98 most backpackers knew it was a classic.

there was a funny saying from djs and magazine's back then. that Dame was running around looking for Reasonable Doubt Cds to rerelease, since the originals dried up overnight.

what you're saying might be true for mainstream or out of the Tri State, but remember how much Jay was getting clowned for the "sunshine" video? off vol 1?

that's because everyone knew what he was capable of when they went back and heard reasonable doubt.

Yall are confusing two arguments. Yes RD did not get crazy radio play or make a huge impact on the mainstream level BUT it is a classic. If we're talking about the music whether it got radio play or if it went plat is irrelevant.

Haters or stans that have any knowledge of the time know that Jay was not a big thing in rap until the volumes and he only carved out a spot for himself on a mainstream level around Dynasty. That doesn't mean RD isn't classic.

For a comparison, Illmatic is way better, had decent radio play, and had an impact yet that album didn't go plat immediately when it dropped either.

Originally Posted by gllahone84

^ Illmatic had decent radio play? WOW.
In 1994, given that hip hop was still mostly only being played on (the few) hip hop radio stations, yes.

naw maaan 
laugh.gif

i never heard of reasonable doubt being called a classic until around blueprint.

i kicked wit a group of hardcore hip-hop DJ's and they didnt even mess wit it.  it was all about biggie,nas,mobb deep,and anything wu. for the most part.

not to mention i bought every issue of the source and rap pages. (xxl hadnt even been created yet)

none of the hip-hop publications called it a classic. it was good, but not good enough to stand out. everything else coming out around that time was pretty much better.

people are trying to rewrite history, i lived this man, i know how it went down.

Man yall _s were just neglecting Jay
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
He was always the odd man out in the 90s. Really got me thinking if he would've been the Bleek to Jay for Big had Biggie not died.

It's like saying BlackStar wasn't a classic cuz nobody was talking about it when it dropped.

I'll speak for myself when I say I did not need Jay to say RD was a classic for me to recognize it and I'm far from a big Jay fan. I know all about how he tried to skew perception during the early 2000s so he can get his fans to help his movement and rise to the top.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

In 1994, given that hip hop was still mostly only being played on (the few) hip hop radio stations, yes.

401505809.jpg

401505808.jpg

401505859.jpg

These three albums all had singles come out that had the radio on smash in 94. Biggie's was a little later though.

Illmatic had no radio friendly tracks.

Like dude above me said ya'll trying to rewrite history
laugh.gif

reasonable doubt has company when it comes to overlooked classics though in 96....

Hell_on_earth_%28mobb_deep_album%29.jpg

it went gold, and GOD part 3 was rocking on da radio..but mobb deep was like jay-z in 1996....SOOOOO much heat dropped that year that they got lost in da shuffle.

and ya forgot what wouldn't stop playing on da radio that wasn't rap?

41VNKE7BR6L.jpg

1996 is my favorite year ever.

Hell On Earth was far from overlooked. It was the follow up to The Infamous and they were beefing with Pac. If anything some ppl were disappointed it wasnt T.I. pt.2

hell on earth got overshadowed by it was written...if you're a mobb deep fan you know hell on earth is even HARDER then da infamous...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

hell on earth got overshadowed by it was written...if you're a mobb deep fan you know hell on earth is even HARDER then da infamous...
this

RD was an alright album but back then the definition of classic was different than it is now. 

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

These three albums all had singles come out that had the radio on smash in 94. Biggie's was a little later though.

Illmatic had no radio friendly tracks.

Like dude above me said ya'll trying to rewrite history
laugh.gif
I said decent radio play. I did not say Illmatic had radio friendly tracks. You trying to twist what I say and put words in my mouth and then talk about ppl rewriting history. Those albums having the radio on smash does not mean singles from other albums were not played
laugh.gif

Halftime was the 1st single and it definitely was played on the radio. Maybe you need to go look up the definition for decent. Regardless that doesn't change anything about my previous post as it pertains to Reasonable Doubt.

^ The singles released from their debut albums had a lot to do with Snoop, DaBrat, and BIG getting platinum plaques. Thats what was meant by radio friendly...and I think BIG was responsible for changing hip hop in that regard. His formula in turn altered Nas whole focus for the next album...linked up with Tone and Poke and the rest is history. Halftime getting play in the tri state area is what you could be alluding to, and also I never said other singles didn't get play on the radio. It's just that Nas was more of a local dude, and one of the best things he ever did was become more mainstream so a dude like myself could become a fan.

I'll stand by my opinion of RD not being a classic at that time in 96 though. Jay kept telling the fans it was classic years later and dudes ate it up.

do not agree with #5, Nas ended the beef with ether, rap especially when it comes to diss track means getting childish and attacking from any angle which will deal a blow to your enemy. Thats exactly what Nas did, he wasn't blunt about it, no subliminal messages, just a track directed straight at Jay. Jay was never the giant, BIG was the giant that let Jay ride under his wing, Nas was his own giant. Never compare a Poet to a freestyle artist. And the comment about Life After Death, is true but not completely, only 2 tracks i don't like. the rest was incredible.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

It was overshadowed because it wasn't as good as their previous effort. Not to mention it was the beginning of the "Willie" era and that album production was too dark. But it def wasn't overlooked.RD wasn't an instant classic the way RTD or illmatic were, but the way it has stood the test of time has made it one.

naw maaan 
laugh.gif

i never heard of reasonable doubt being called a classic until around blueprint.

i kicked wit a group of hardcore hip-hop DJ's and they didnt even mess wit it.  it was all about biggie,nas,mobb deep,and anything wu. for the most part.

not to mention i bought every issue of the source and rap pages. (xxl hadnt even been created yet)

none of the hip-hop publications called it a classic. it was good, but not good enough to stand out. everything else coming out around that time was pretty much better.

people are trying to rewrite history, i lived this man, i know how it went down.

For what it's worth, I agree with all of this. Reasonable Doubt was considered a classic in hindsight. In the moment, it was a good-to-great Rap album.

As far as Illmatic, I mean, it all depends on your definition of "decent" radio play.

In NY, a lot of those records got burn. Halftime got some OK radio play. It Ain't Hard To Tell, with the MJ sample got way more.

But I would not use the words "decent radio play" to describe anything off of Illmatic. "Some radio play" is probably a more fitting description.

Originally Posted by Fazar89

do not agree with #5, Nas ended the beef with ether, rap especially when it comes to diss track means getting childish and attacking from any angle which will deal a blow to your enemy. Thats exactly what Nas did, he wasn't blunt about it, no subliminal messages, just a track directed straight at Jay. Jay was never the giant, BIG was the giant that let Jay ride under his wing, Nas was his own giant. Never compare a Poet to a freestyle artist. And the comment about Life After Death, is true but not completely, only 2 tracks i don't like. the rest was incredible.
I always laugh it off when I read the excuse that Ether was childish name calling. As if a rap battle is some mature sophisticated event two rappers engage in for honor or like Jay was not just as childish
laugh.gif
No objectivity. Then they'll say Jay spoke more truth and stuck to facts when that is an outright falsehood.

A lot of petty things on that list. I see NORE and just ask myself why? Dude must have something against him or his movement at the time.

Originally Posted by illphillip

naw maaan 
laugh.gif

For what it's worth, I agree with all of this. Reasonable Doubt was considered a classic in hindsight. In the moment, it was a good-to-great Rap album.

As far as Illmatic, I mean, it all depends on your definition of "decent" radio play.

In NY, a lot of those records got burn. Halftime got some OK radio play. It Ain't Hard To Tell, with the MJ sample got way more.

But I would not use the words "decent radio play" to describe anything off of Illmatic. "Some radio play" is probably a more fitting description.

Girl That's Juelz is the only one that knows what the F he's talking about in here.

Reasonable Doubt was not considered a classic until Jay was in a certain echelon.

Ain't no N was the only thing you heard from that album and like other's said Foxy's pull at the time and it hitting the Nutty Professor OST.

Illmatic was considered classic status straight off the burner, but that sh.. was barely heard on the radio.

It wasn't until It Was Written dropped that NaS got major with If I Ruled the World.

Big's Ready to Die was considered classic, but not Illmatic classic, and that album, as well as Big and Bad Boy as a whole, was getting major major burn when it released.

The Wu ran a part of the 90's... I would say for me they were the first crew to have a long run from the early 90's all the way up to when they released Wu Forever.

I will say Mobb Deep was putting out good music, at the time, but they weren't like really really hot... only to us hood N's like ninjahood and the likes.

Also, Jay's Vol. 1 wasn't really well received... he didn't start getting hot hot until I believe Vol. 2 and that little Annie sample for Hard Knock Life.

Girls Thats Juels... you said that these Jay fans are trying to rewrite history... dawg that's all these dudes on here do fam... from his battle with NaS, and any other dent in his armor or his career they try to spin it around come up with some outlandish crap to justify the situation... don't eve waste your time.

Was a huge Jay fan at one time, and I had no idea Reasonable Doubt even existed until Hard Knock Life Vol 2 came out.
Ain't no N had mad buzz (at least down here i guess), and i remember seeing the video to Dead Presidents around that
time. Classic then? nope. Classic now? Arguably yes.

Another list made a by a derelict born in the 90's

You $*+ on Life After Death, All Eyez on Me, Reasonable Doubt AND Rap Concerts?!?!?!?!? (If you dont smoke, you are playing yourself if you go to a rap concert)

Why even listen? Switch to Rock or something?

P.S. Jay popped off into the mainstream in 99 off Big Pimpin, before that, Foxy kept him hot.............

Backpackers in 98 knew it was gonna be classic? Rewriting history INDEED!!!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I just went through all 7 pages and MAN... some of ya'll are BUGGIN'.

"I Used To Love H.E.R" is REALLY on that list though...

This is one of the dumbest list i ever read and the fact that half of yall agree shows me what im dealing with. 
All eyez on me, Tm101, RD, and life after all overated.

Jada overated, CB got bigger because of beating rihanna
ohwell.gif
, the #%!!@ facing 5 for snatching a phone

Back
Top Bottom