The 99ers Vol. Unemployment.. !%#$ is real

My biggest fear is working my &^$ off, graduating, and having to work at Wal-Mart. Hopefully I can make this microbiology degree work out.

On a side note have any of you college students ever look at the psychology, theater arts, sociology, etc.. majors and think damn, its gonna be extra hard for you later

My biggest fear is working my &^$ off, graduating, and having to work at Wal-Mart. Hopefully I can make this microbiology degree work out.

On a side note have any of you college students ever look at the psychology, theater arts, sociology, etc.. majors and think damn, its gonna be extra hard for you later

Originally Posted by crobers 78

Sitting on approx $1 Trillion...CASH! oh yeah that's right though...folks are just too lazy to look for work according to 9 point 5...smh
30t6p3b.gif

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-companies-hoarding-almost-rb-2687745036.html?x=0&.v=1
Exactly. These mofos puttin out ads about employment, get a billion apps and aint hirin b/c they scared the economy gon tank again. All the while, they're hoardin the money, cuttin costs, cuttin jobs, and raisin prices. As long as these jobs keep holdin out and not hirin ppl, the dollar will continue to get worse and worse. 

Originally Posted by crobers 78

Sitting on approx $1 Trillion...CASH! oh yeah that's right though...folks are just too lazy to look for work according to 9 point 5...smh
30t6p3b.gif

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-companies-hoarding-almost-rb-2687745036.html?x=0&.v=1
Exactly. These mofos puttin out ads about employment, get a billion apps and aint hirin b/c they scared the economy gon tank again. All the while, they're hoardin the money, cuttin costs, cuttin jobs, and raisin prices. As long as these jobs keep holdin out and not hirin ppl, the dollar will continue to get worse and worse. 

Dathbgboy wrote:
crobers 78 wrote:
30t6p3b.gif

httphttp://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-companies-hoarding-almost-rb-2687745036.html?x=0&.v=1://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-companies-hoarding-almost-rb-2687745036.html?x=0&.v=1
Exactly. These mofos puttin out ads about employment, get a billion apps and aint hirin b/c they scared the  know the economy gon  is tanking again. All the while, they're hoardin the money, cuttin costs, cuttin jobs, and raisin prices. As long as these jobs keep holdin out and not hirin ppl, the dollar will continue to get worse and worse. 

I hear you. I agree more with what i fixed though...not to mention all the legislation and taxes they have to pay n worry about that are still uncertain

Dathbgboy wrote:
crobers 78 wrote:
30t6p3b.gif

httphttp://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-companies-hoarding-almost-rb-2687745036.html?x=0&.v=1://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-companies-hoarding-almost-rb-2687745036.html?x=0&.v=1
Exactly. These mofos puttin out ads about employment, get a billion apps and aint hirin b/c they scared the  know the economy gon  is tanking again. All the while, they're hoardin the money, cuttin costs, cuttin jobs, and raisin prices. As long as these jobs keep holdin out and not hirin ppl, the dollar will continue to get worse and worse. 

I hear you. I agree more with what i fixed though...not to mention all the legislation and taxes they have to pay n worry about that are still uncertain

This topic is sorta depressing, but it's a little comforting to know that I'm not alone. 
Just graduated this year and got 2 interviews since. 1 was with insurance (commission-based, low base pay) but I didn't pursue it since it required soliciting my friends and family to further my career 
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
. Other interview was with a restaurant's accounting dept. I REALLY wanted that job, but they hit me with a surprise accounting quiz during my interview. Caught me off guard 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

This topic is sorta depressing, but it's a little comforting to know that I'm not alone. 
Just graduated this year and got 2 interviews since. 1 was with insurance (commission-based, low base pay) but I didn't pursue it since it required soliciting my friends and family to further my career 
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
. Other interview was with a restaurant's accounting dept. I REALLY wanted that job, but they hit me with a surprise accounting quiz during my interview. Caught me off guard 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

How can you knock people with certain majors when even the sciences x engineering aren't guaranteed jobs anymore? Its hard for EVERYONE regardless of what you studied. There are people out there with multiple degrees (undergrad and master's) that can't get hired. Just a few weeks ago someone had said that they knew someone who graduated with an engineering degree from MIT that was working at Friday's.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

How can you knock people with certain majors when even the sciences x engineering aren't guaranteed jobs anymore? Its hard for EVERYONE regardless of what you studied. There are people out there with multiple degrees (undergrad and master's) that can't get hired. Just a few weeks ago someone had said that they knew someone who graduated with an engineering degree from MIT that was working at Friday's.

Originally Posted by chickhien

unemployed since july 08. i cant even get a restaurant job so im hoping this grad school lands me a job in may 2011. i may "dumb down" aka omit items from my resume to see if i can atleast get part time work while in school. btw my wife and i live with her parents. i had to swallow my pride bc i lived on my own since i was 18 (im 30 now). i went from pulling in 55k (i know thats not ballin but in NC i was living a great life) a year to getting a $20 weekly allowance from my wife. i know some people may see me as a scrub but i dont give a crap what they think. im thankful i have a roof over my head, car paid off that runs well, food, and an opportunity with grad school. i cant even imagine having to pay a mortgage, car note, and having kids right now. my last major purhase was a $100 suit from target for job interviews.
all of yall struggling right now keep your head up for real. i hope with the free time some of you have you get a chance to follow politics and public policy. true colors come out and every politician is the cotdamn same.
thats some real $*$%

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GRAB AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING JOB GRADUATING FROM COLLEGE IN 2008 BUT I WAS LAID OFF FROM THAT JOB IN 2009 AND IT TOOK ME UNTIL APRIL OF THIS YEAR TO LAND ANOTHER JOB. IF I SAID, I PUT IN LESS THAN 300 APPS IN THAT TIME I WOULD BE LYING. JOB HUNTING BECAME MY JOB AND I WAS ON IT FOR 10 HOURS A DAY. LUCKILY, I LANDED ANOTHER ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING JOB HERE IN CLEVELAND. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT FINDING A GOOD JOB OUT OF COLLEGE I SUGGEST YOU EXPAND YOUR SEARCH TO NATIONWIDE. A LOT OF MY COLLEGE FRIENDS STILL HAVEN'T FOUND JOBS BUT THEY ARE KEEPING THEIR SEARCH TOO LOCAL...YOU GOTTA BE WILLING TO MOVE AND ACCEPT ANYTHING.

GOODLUCK TO ALL THOSE SEARCHING. IT DEFINITELY IS TOUGH.
this is some real (#&$# too

it sucks..........moving isnt easy but the jobs JUST arent there in your area sometimes.......

i think about it a lot.............but i almost had/wouldve had kids already. that can be a HUGE variable in these tough times.

chickhein, do you ever want to have kids? i kinda put 30 as my cut off age.

Originally Posted by chickhien

unemployed since july 08. i cant even get a restaurant job so im hoping this grad school lands me a job in may 2011. i may "dumb down" aka omit items from my resume to see if i can atleast get part time work while in school. btw my wife and i live with her parents. i had to swallow my pride bc i lived on my own since i was 18 (im 30 now). i went from pulling in 55k (i know thats not ballin but in NC i was living a great life) a year to getting a $20 weekly allowance from my wife. i know some people may see me as a scrub but i dont give a crap what they think. im thankful i have a roof over my head, car paid off that runs well, food, and an opportunity with grad school. i cant even imagine having to pay a mortgage, car note, and having kids right now. my last major purhase was a $100 suit from target for job interviews.
all of yall struggling right now keep your head up for real. i hope with the free time some of you have you get a chance to follow politics and public policy. true colors come out and every politician is the cotdamn same.
thats some real $*$%

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GRAB AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING JOB GRADUATING FROM COLLEGE IN 2008 BUT I WAS LAID OFF FROM THAT JOB IN 2009 AND IT TOOK ME UNTIL APRIL OF THIS YEAR TO LAND ANOTHER JOB. IF I SAID, I PUT IN LESS THAN 300 APPS IN THAT TIME I WOULD BE LYING. JOB HUNTING BECAME MY JOB AND I WAS ON IT FOR 10 HOURS A DAY. LUCKILY, I LANDED ANOTHER ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING JOB HERE IN CLEVELAND. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT FINDING A GOOD JOB OUT OF COLLEGE I SUGGEST YOU EXPAND YOUR SEARCH TO NATIONWIDE. A LOT OF MY COLLEGE FRIENDS STILL HAVEN'T FOUND JOBS BUT THEY ARE KEEPING THEIR SEARCH TOO LOCAL...YOU GOTTA BE WILLING TO MOVE AND ACCEPT ANYTHING.

GOODLUCK TO ALL THOSE SEARCHING. IT DEFINITELY IS TOUGH.
this is some real (#&$# too

it sucks..........moving isnt easy but the jobs JUST arent there in your area sometimes.......

i think about it a lot.............but i almost had/wouldve had kids already. that can be a HUGE variable in these tough times.

chickhein, do you ever want to have kids? i kinda put 30 as my cut off age.

Shout out to all the unemployed peoples, I got laid off in Feb 09 and didnt find a job until Aug 10. Keep ya heads up!

Shout out to all the unemployed peoples, I got laid off in Feb 09 and didnt find a job until Aug 10. Keep ya heads up!

1. Lie on your resume if you have to. Why? Because more people lie then you'd believe and even less employers check.
  --  I have 2 friends in the past 6 months that got jobs in finance ( micro finance firm  and a Hedge Fund) and they wouldn't have got the jobs if they didn't lie on their Resume. I'm not for it but in reality you have extremely little to lose by doing this.

2. If you don't have kids and are not tied down for a good reason then start looking outside of the US. It's not going to get better here any time soon.  Your relative proficiency in English (it is the global language) and a US degree are attractive overseas. 

3. Look into starting your own enterprise. The education system in this country doesn't teach you how to be self sufficient because its purpose is to churn out workers for Corporate America (where do you think they get most of their funding from). 

I'm thankful everyday that I have a relatively stable job and good pay. I realize how hard it is out there. I can move out but I still live with my parents because if I do lose my job, it takes an average of 10 months to find work (for those who actually find work). 

I don't see it getting any better for the foreseeable future though unless the feds start hiring for the sole purpose of driving down the unemployment rate. 

1. Lie on your resume if you have to. Why? Because more people lie then you'd believe and even less employers check.
  --  I have 2 friends in the past 6 months that got jobs in finance ( micro finance firm  and a Hedge Fund) and they wouldn't have got the jobs if they didn't lie on their Resume. I'm not for it but in reality you have extremely little to lose by doing this.

2. If you don't have kids and are not tied down for a good reason then start looking outside of the US. It's not going to get better here any time soon.  Your relative proficiency in English (it is the global language) and a US degree are attractive overseas. 

3. Look into starting your own enterprise. The education system in this country doesn't teach you how to be self sufficient because its purpose is to churn out workers for Corporate America (where do you think they get most of their funding from). 

I'm thankful everyday that I have a relatively stable job and good pay. I realize how hard it is out there. I can move out but I still live with my parents because if I do lose my job, it takes an average of 10 months to find work (for those who actually find work). 

I don't see it getting any better for the foreseeable future though unless the feds start hiring for the sole purpose of driving down the unemployment rate. 

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

i agree

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

i agree

Back
Top Bottom