THE AMERICANS Thread | Final Season: March 28, 2018

Had to watch the scene again.

Crazy how Stan let them go. Son really did move on from his job. Post Nina Stan is way more lenient.
That scene with Stan and Henry cracked me up though. Like yo, you couldn’t wait until there was some privacy to break the news to the kid my guy? Nope—gotta do it NOW. :lol:
Yeah, that was mad abrupt telling Henry in the middle of damn hockey practice. Your parents are Russian spies, your sister was in on it and you'll probably never see them again. Thats an after dinner conversation.

Last edited:
The symbolism of the McDonald's and the added gut punch of Phil seeing that happy family of 4.

I really liked even when caught in that see through lie Phil still refused to admit to also being a damn assassin along with Liz doubling down.

Paige and her obviously dumb lie. Should've said it was private.

Phil got Stan going home and watching his girl sleep. And I'm pretty sure she was awake and aware. Every hug got him second guessing.

Last edited:
Great finale, great show from start to finish.

To me, something stuck out this last season: How lazy and unprepared Phil and Elizabeth got towards the end. And I say this because from day 1 they were two steps ahead of everything, they had everything down cold and so did Russia.

Yet in this final season they got worked - the old spys would have known Oleg was highly likely to be tailed right now at all times by the U.S. and they would have never done a drop for him to pick up in public. The old spys would have had a better plan of attack around Thanksgiving when they had to blurt out to Stan that Liz was out of town alone. And the old spys would have had an end game plan down to the very second and inch on what happens if the cover finally is blown. Although getting back to Russia was always the end plan, and they did have passports and disguises ready, they were scrambling and acting like they had no idea the end was coming - arguing about what to do with their son, not talking to Paige previously about what happens when they think they might be caught (she clearly had no idea she might actually have to escape to Russia), and their heads were just spinning. To me, Phil and Liz would be the ones to have every step in this end game pre planned like a machine.

Some things were a tad unbelievable, but I'm still processing it all.

What an amazing way to end an amazing show. I was glad Stan didn't blast them but I would've understood if he did. Great how Stan and Phil were actually friends and that friendship really saved their lives. I was laughing when Paige didn't stay on the train. I was hoping she got caught. Paige is a shook one, a phony and a fraud. She was treating espionage like a game, a hobby or a side hustle, not life or death with real consequences. She was talking about Henry and not leaving him but she didn't seem to care when embracing the life last season and this season. I don't blame Liz for saying the same thing initially but Paige just seemed nieve to what she was getting into. Props to Stan for being the dad Henry deserves. His timing for telling Henry sucked but it is what it is. To be honest, I always viewed this show as a story about Phil and Liz and their marriage. Glad the show ended with them at the end because no way was Paige or Henry built for Mother Russia.

RyGuy45 RyGuy45 I feel like them slipping is due to the circumstance.

Phil was done for what seems like over a year. He was only doing his disguise meet ups and phasing out all of his contacts and connects. So he's clearly rusty on the stay on your toes 2 steps ahead grind.

Liz to me was obviously stressed. She's doing the job alone. Trying to prove she's super dedicated. Then sorta like Phil was seasons ago she becomes really disillusioned to the point of what she's doing and realize even her ppl are rotten with the coup they're planning. She was grinding so hard it makes sense that she'd lose the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
Very bitter sweet series finale but totally appropriate. I really loved the use of the Dire Straights song Brothers In Arms was so appropriate (song about PTSD for a war that really wasn't worth it). Low key mad they left it open ended about Stan's Renee. I swear I thought she was going to knock him out from behind when he had Liz, Phil, & Paige corned in the garage but that would've been too obvious.

This show did a masterful job of telling it's story as a slow burn/quiet fury... Nothing exemplified this more than when Phil told Liz once they were in russia saying, "They’ll remember us. They’re not kids anymore. We raised them.”

Last edited:
Im super late but I just finished the finale tonight. Got me feeling all empty.
Phil and Elizabeth did the right thing leaving Henry out of everything and Paige did the right thing staying. No way could she handle Russia in the 80's.
The last three episodes feel super rushed because everything unfolded really fast. Kinda felt like it should've been slower.
This is one of those great shows I will remember fondly.

Just finished it after I stopped watching during season 2. Show was great beginning to end. Seasons 3 or 4 was FIRE. I can't lie though the quality of the show dropped once they told Paige the game. This lil girl was annoying as ****. Always having meltdowns every episode. Then she snitched to Pastor Tim. Like she got to be the dumbest teenager ever.

I love Elizabeth. She was a soldier and hated the american system. Phil wasn't the same after his girl Martha left. I never felt like Phil and Elizabeth was a good match. They worked well together but Derek Luke and Elizabeth clearly had more of a connection and Martha understood Phil better.

I always thought the show would end with them and kids going back to Russia and weeks later Stan would find a big clue showing that they're spies or he would be interrogating somebody and they'll tell him "we had spies right across the street from you". Good ending though. It's fitting that would go back leaving the kids since they were fully americanized.

I felt bad for my dude Oleg. He deserved better than how he ended up.

My bae Nina’s life became such a mess and Martha got screwed over.

Did a rewatch over the lockdown. Still a 10/10 show.

This ain't right. Get this on netflix please. Show needs a second chance.

Finally finished this show…Pretty good, woulda liked more from the ending tho …And it started to drag a bit once the daughter got involved in season 3 or 4 shorty was terrible :lol: :smh:

Back
Top Bottom