The Bicycle Thread

^yeah, the chainset is identical - it's the freewheel or cog on the rear that makes it fixed or so you can coast. The only thing that is important is that you get a crank with the right spacing so that your chain is fairly straight to the rear - too much of an angle and the chain can come off.

^yeah, the chainset is identical - it's the freewheel or cog on the rear that makes it fixed or so you can coast. The only thing that is important is that you get a crank with the right spacing so that your chain is fairly straight to the rear - too much of an angle and the chain can come off.

Now how do I know the proper size crank, since the deals seem to be online. And I'm new to this LOL dnt wana buy something that I have to return and them wait another week on shipping

Are you replacing the wheels or just putting a freewheel on ten current one?

If you're replacing it you should find the chainline measurement in the packaging.

If you're using the same wheel you need to mount the freewheel and then measure its position from the centre of the hub - usually 40-45mm.

Then you just get a crank that can have a chainring at the right place. I'm just doing that for my winter bike - the rear spacing is slightly more because it has disc hubs so a regular double works with the rung on the outside.

You can move them around by using washers or putting the ring on the inside if you need to.

Last edited:
86' Bianchi Trofeo

84' Bianchi Special

86' Bianchi Sport SX (Project)

Last edited:
Just got this not too long ago for commuting paid 400 (which is a deal) frame is tripple butted chromo steel which isn't the lightest but since I am a heavier rider at 230 it's good for durability ..tektro front brake , I have a flip flop hub usually ride freewheel because fixed in New York city is a dathwish Imo .
Although lately if I go to prospect park I've been trying fixed which isn't bad, just not for commuting

Just got my bike tuned up for this below freezing weather. It's been rough out here. I had them replace the riser bars with some drop bars and added purple bar tape. Still cold but it's riding great.

Last edited:
looking for my first road bike. i don't really care for anything flashy just something durable/reliable to get around in and ride casually, and to learn about the bike parts and whatnot. as i get more into it i'll invest in something better. came across this Randor bike for $60. is it worth it? anone know anything about this brand?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/4822241052.html

Last edited:
^ I wouldn't. The frame is cheap but will flex. The gears are bottom end. The wheels look like 27" (not 26 like the ad says) so are a weird size and the look like steel rims which are death traps in even light rain.

It won't teach you anything and I don't think you'd enjoy it either.

looking for my first road bike. i don't really care for anything flashy just something durable/reliable to get around in and ride casually, and to learn about the bike parts and whatnot. as i get more into it i'll invest in something better. came across this Randor bike for $60. is it worth it? anone know anything about this brand?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/4822241052.html

i don't know all that much about bikes, but i think if you want to learn and you don't NEED the bike asap, a good way is to jump right in and build your own (gotta be patient though because it can get pricey!) fixed/single speed bike, i bought a decent frame with an installed crankset (pedals) for $75, if you are in the boston area there are quite a few bike shops that can help you do the knowledge to figure out what you don't know too...

Picked up this Lapierre last night, my first road bike! I was eyeing this BMC carbon fiber one, but retail was around $11k. 

Fellas I'm looking to get my first road bike. Whats an inexpensive beginners bike??
I bought the basic version of the Specialized Allez last year, hadn't ridden a bike since I was a kid and just wanted an entry level road bike. I've put over 1k miles on it already and kinda feel like I'm ready to graduate to a better bike. If I were doing it again I'd probably skip an entry level bike and go straight to a mid-range bike with better components. I don't know if I necessarily need a carbon bike yet but I do wish I had better components.

I'd just go to your local bike shop and ride a few (a Giant, a Specialized, a Trek, etc.) and see what feels good. Having a good fit is the most important thing. And avoid buying from Wal-Mart, Target, etc as it's more likely than not that the person who put it together had no clue what they were doing.

Then again I guess it'd be helpful to know what your definition of inexpensive is?

Look for a bike with 105 components and you'll be set. Unless you get really, really serious, there's no need for Ultegra or Dura Ace stuff.

Sup NT,

Good thread

In the market for a bike was looking at this 6KU, anyone have that brand? Or heard good/bad about them?

Wheels are dumb easy to steal if they have quick releases, especially front ones. I always lock up at a minimum the frame and front wheel.

Wheels are dumb easy to steal if they have quick releases, especially front ones. I always lock up at a minimum the frame and front wheel.

Yeah man I have the prober locks I just didn't lock up the front because my work neighborhood is so chill and you'd never expect it. 4 years and finally they take it lol.

People who will spend money on a bike, invest in locks. Just as important. None of that cheap stuff either.

Got this road bike last summer, several hundred miles on it so far. Not the best but I was really trying to get the best components for my money. Wanted 105's but everything I was seeing was over $1k. Got this Fuji Sportif 1.1 from Performance Bikes with full Tiagra gearset for $700, should last me several years. Once I upgrade I will go full carbon with Ultegra or better, road a few recently and they are so nice :x :pimp:

I would say for a beginner Performance has the best bang for your buck. I looked at tons of local bike shops and to get even a Tiagra set bike I was looking at $1k.

Man I'm taking the trash to the curb and what does my neighbor wheel out to trash? A friggin Cannondale. All it needs is new wheels and brakes. He said it's mine. Took that come up!

So Idk if you guys remember swing world tour I posted it around this time last year if not here it is lol

Now fast toward to present day

Sorry for the bad pic I went for a late night ride and was cold lol

Back
Top Bottom