The College Basketball Post

SI article breaking down Simmons so far. Credit to those here who have already questioned his shot and wingspan 

Simmons is a legitimate point forward who plays like a hybrid combination of Blake Griffin and Boris Diaw. He can handle like a guard, push the ball in transition, run an offense, and create shots for teammates in the half court. He’s the rare elite prospect who’s always looking to set up his teammates, whether he is driving the ball and kicking to a shooter, or making slick interior passes in traffic.

If there’s an early concern about Simmons, it’s his ability to shoot. With his quickness and ball-handling, opposing defenses are going to want to back off him as much as possible and dare him to beat them from the perimeter. He doesn’t seem all that comfortable pulling the trigger from deep (he has yet to attempt a 3-pointer yet), and that’s really the only hole in his game on the offensive side of the ball.

The real questions will come as the level of competition improves. How will Simmons fare against bigger NBA-caliber power forwards on the block? How will he fare on the perimeter against NBA-caliber wing players? Will his relatively short wingspan affect his ability to finish in traffic? How much can he impact the game playing off the ball in the half court if he remains a reluctant shooter? More than anything else, we want to see what he does in environments that more closely replicate what he will see in the NBA. Circle these two games on the calendar — Kentucky at LSU on Jan. 5 and the return match in Lexington on March 5.

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/11/19/early-signs-nba-prospects-ben-simmons-lsu

well you know...you can always get stronger and better at shooting. when the kid gets a consistent J, fools are in serious trouble. 

While there obviously isn't anything he can do about his wingspan, at least his shot isn't broken. It is something that he should be able to steadily improve...

His jump shot looks complete broken to me. Needs a complete overhaul IMO, from shot prep to release point if he's ever going to be an effective shooter.

I mean has even taken a jumpshot this year? :lol:

Last edited:
His jump shot looks complete broken to me. Needs a complete overhaul IMO, from shot prep to release point if he's ever going to be an effective shooter.

I mean has even taken a jumpshot this year?
laugh.gif
He has not attempted a 3

He has not attempted a 3

im not even talking about a 3 im talking about a straight up perimeter jumpshot, because I haven't seen it.

Like I think I can count on my hands the amount of jumper i've seen him take, like in all the HS games/exhibition/all star games dude seems to have a Rondo level aversion to jumpers.

Last edited:
If Blake can find a jumpshot in the league this kid can too. Blake shot was disgusting while at Oklahoma and first couple years in the league.

Random.

But Corey Johnson is going make a billion 3's during his Harvard career and probably break the heart of your favorite team in the early rounds of the tournament. :smokin

He's already got the greenest of green lights.

The Cal Bears 2016 recruiting class looks bad. That hurts, Cuonzo Martin must've known he had a good deal of guys leaving after this season.

Simmons again. Will watch on DVR after the Clipper/Warrior game. Hopefully some of those points were on jumpers

Counted more than 3 ast in the first half alone watching Ben. Guy is the real deal.

Ambidextrous AF. No jumpers though. There's no reason for him to even attempt them at this level.

For what it's worth. Diallo was cleared to travel with the team to Maui but has not been cleared to play. Whatever that means, lol.

Counted more than 3 ast in the first half alone watching Ben. Guy is the real deal.

Ambidextrous AF. No jumpers though. There's no reason for him to even attempt them at this level.
Maybe against this level of comp there isn't a reason but once he plays higher level i expect different

well you know...you can always get stronger and better at shooting. when the kid gets a consistent J, fools are in serious trouble. 

Blake didn't have a mid-range game until 2 years ago. Amare found a mid-range stroke after years of just dunking on people.

I don't understand how people are questioning his shooting as an 18 year old. It can only get better.

Back
Top Bottom