****The Everything LaVar Ball Thread****

Seriously, watch that 30 for 30 compared to the reactions now and witness the reality of white privilege.

I don't like cocky people in general. It's ok to big up your kids but ridiculous statements aren't needed.

I couldn't give a **** about your opinion regarding me, especially regarding race issue. Period

You stick your head in the sand about race issues and complain when anyone brings them up. I would have thought all that egg that landed on your face after Rousey Mayweather thread would have taught you a lesson. Apparently not

If you want you stick you head in the sand, go ahead. But don't whine when others don't follow you.

But fine, I don't agree with you, because you haven't made one sensible argument. So let us leave it at that
What happened in the Rousey Mayweather thread?

I do see the point some of you are making about this being blown up because of race. It does sound like it's getting too much attention for such a minor "issue". When I mentioned "it's not about race in this situation", I didn't know how much attention this story was getting and only related it to my experiences of growing up in an Asian community where there are MANY parents just like Lavar Ball.

However, for the people that are 100% for Lavar Ball, do you think that's a healthy way of parenting? To me, he just seems like the typical dad that pressures his kids too much so he can live through them/relive his past.

This is a minor example, but I think it's still relevant.

My friend was an excellent piano player, but he had no interest in it all. His parents forced him to go to piano lessons multiple times throughout the week for most of his youth, and he ended up being in large, well attended performances. Eventually though, dude snapped and said "I'm not doing this @#$@ anymore" and hasn't touched a piano in literally a decade.

I personally don't think it's worth forcing your kid to be great at something if it's just going to make them miserable.

For Lavar Ball, he's lucky that his kids actually like the sport. I've seen too many people growing up that secretly hated what they were forced to be good at though.

Again, I do agree with the point being made regarding this being overblown because of race and am not trying to deflect. What I'm asking is just a side question.

Last edited:
Man... why is Archie Manning's racist, misogynist *** being mentioned in the same breath as Mr. Ball.

Piece of crap dad ran a smear campaign against a woman who was sexually violated by her son, insinuating that she slept with black athletes as a way to ruin her character and even going so far to suggest a black athlete take the blame for his son.

Let an incident like that happen to Lonzo Ball and see if his dad can work his magic and keep it under wraps for 15 years until the details comes out, but only to get thrown under the rug again.

The rules are different.

If the ball Brothers were named  Hunter, Connor, and Chad and their fathers name was Cooper no one would have a problem with the Ball's. Mainstream society criticizes Black males for not having fathers in their lives, and when strong Black fathers emerge  in the public eye people have a problem with it. From watching the videos ive seen of the Ball family, Lavar looks mad fun, inspirational, and playful with his boys. He doesn't look like a father that would beat his boys if they played bad. We need more Lavar's out there who believe in and support their children's dreams. If I ever have a son and he plays basketball I'm gonna tell him he's the best and has the potential to be the greatest. Lavar  also helps challenge stereotypes about Blacks. People clown on the Balls for having unconventional names, people with unconventional names are often stereotyped as ghetto thugs from the hood. The ball brothers are far from hoodlums and come from a middle-class background.  The father is also smart with creating a brand and keeping everything in the family. Its better to let the whole family eat than let some sheisty agent take your paper. If the Ball boy's all end up making it to the NBA and become good players they can possibly create a sports empire. Imagine the things they could do if Lavar becomes an agent and they turn their clothing line into a sports and entertainment agency. Folk STAY hating on positive and talented upcoming Black folk. SMH. More fathers should take notes from Lavar.

[thread="660140"]White people need to do more listening than talking when it comes to discussions about race. Its like they try to lecture people of color about what its like to be a person of color from their privileged spaces..[/thread]

Preach.

Tryna tell you when it's ok to talk about race. :smh: :lol:

Last edited:
Nah, I'd still think his comments were foolish no matter what color he was.

I do see the point some of you are making about this being blown up because of race. It does sound like it's getting too much attention for such a minor "issue". When I mentioned "it's not about race in this situation", I didn't know how much attention this story was getting and only related it to my experiences of growing up in an Asian community where there are MANY parents just like Lavar Ball.

However, for the people that are 100% for Lavar Ball, do you think that's a healthy way of parenting? To me, he just seems like the typical dad that pressures his kids too much so he can live through them/relive his past.

My friend was an excellent piano player, but he had no interest in it all. His parents forced him to go to piano lessons multiple times throughout the week for most of his youth, and he ended up being in large, well attended performances. Eventually though, dude snapped and said "I'm not doing this @#$@ anymore" and hasn't touched a piano in literally a decade.

I personally don't think it's worth forcing your kid to be great at something if it's just going to make them miserable.

For Lavar Ball, he's lucky that his kids actually like the sport. I've seen too many people growing up that secretly hated what they were forced to be good at though.

Again, I do agree with the point being made regarding this being overblown because of race and am not trying to deflect. What I'm asking is just a side question.
I dont think Lavar is trying to live through his boys. He's had his time to play  sports career when he was younger. Not sure what he does for a living, but im sure his family is straight even if the boys dont make the league. From the video Ive seen the crib where the boys live is a nice ***  house, and it isnt cheap to live in Chino Hills.  Its not like hes a broke dad living through his kids because without them hell be homeless or stuck in the hood. 

One extreme to another....now a Tebow rant :smh: :lol:

Point is....it's perfectly fair to criticize or not like how Lavar Ball is gassing his kids up. Nothing at all wrong with that. It's preference.

Also, there is nothing wrong with calling into the racial undertones that can come when some ppl call him out.

That's all there really is to it.

I personally think Lavar is a troll, a good dad, an opportunist, a comedian, a fool and a visionary all in one.

Interested to see how this all unfolds.

Last edited:
Real talk when I first heard about the Ball brothers and saw their names and  heard about their father , I thought Lavar was some dusty washed up ex-drug dealer that was trying to live through and off his sons to make it out the hood.  Lavar knows what hes doing. 

This is the trap my man Stillin fell into.

Could this be a factor in some peoples head, yes.

But the blankness that you speak in makes people want to correct you.

Slow time in sports which needs factored headlines i.e. Javele vs Shaq.

Also the mentioning of Steph Curry.

​And most of what l heard was just people talking about the pressure he might be putting on his kid.

​l haven't seen this character assassination a lot of you are speaking of.

One extreme to another....now a Tebow rant
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Point is....it's perfectly fair to criticize or not like how Lavar Ball is gassing his kids up. Nothing at all wrong with that. It's preference.

Also, there is nothing wrong with calling into the racial undertones that can come when some ppl call him out.

That's all there really is to it.

I personally think Lavar is a troll, a good dad, an opportunist, a comedian, a fool and a visionary all in one.

Interested to see how this all unfolds.
I agree.

You literally have no evidence for this. He's given a handful of interviews saying he wants his kid to play for the lakers and learn from the greatest point guard of all time, that they are susceptible to sharks in the industry, and that his can be the greatest.

To your point about your friend playing the piano, again, you have NO evidence that the Ball kids don't like playing basketball.

We are throwing around a lot of assumptions.

I dont think Lavar is trying to live through his boys. He's had his time to play  sports career when he was younger. Not sure what he does for a living, but im sure his family is straight even if the boys dont make the league. From the video Ive seen the crib where the boys live is a nice ***  house, and it isnt cheap to live in Chino Hills.  Its not like hes a broke dad living through his kids because without them hell be homeless or stuck in the hood. 

It's often an ego/status thing with these types of parents though. I know some doctors that refused to let their children become anything else other than a doctor. I have an acquaintance in med school who HATES touching people, yet his parents want him to become a surgeon :smh: :lol: He once told me "I don't want to go to med school, but my parents would only pay for my college if I studied bio".

You literally have no evidence for this. He's given a handful of interviews saying he wants his kid to play for the lakers and learn from the greatest point guard of all time, that they are susceptible to sharks in the industry, and that his can be the greatest.

To your point about your friend playing the piano, again, you have NO evidence that the Ball kids don't like playing basketball.

We are throwing around a lot of assumptions.

??? I literally posted that they did like playing basketball in the post you quoted. I wasn't speaking on this specific situation as much as I was speaking on that type of parenting. Why quote me if you're not going to read what I posted?

Last edited:
If the ball Brothers were named  Hunter, Connor, and Chad and their fathers name was Cooper no one would have a problem with the Ball's. Mainstream society criticizes Black males for not having fathers in their lives, and when strong Black fathers emerge  in the public eye people have a problem with it. From watching the videos ive seen of the Ball family, Lavar looks mad fun, inspirational, and playful with his boys. He doesn't look like a father that would beat his boys if they played bad. We need more Lavar's out there who believe in and support their children's dreams. If I ever have a son and he plays basketball I'm gonna tell him he's the best and has the potential to be the greatest. Lavar  also helps challenge stereotypes about Blacks. People clown on the Balls for having unconventional names, people with unconventional names are often stereotyped as ghetto thugs from the hood. The ball brothers are far from hoodlums and come from a middle-class background.  The father is also smart with creating a brand and keeping everything in the family. Its better to let the whole family eat than let some sheisty agent take your paper. If the Ball boy's all end up making it to the NBA and become good players they can possibly create a sports empire. Imagine the things they could do if Lavar becomes an agent and they turn their clothing line into a sports and entertainment agency. Folk STAY hating on positive and talented upcoming Black folk. SMH. More fathers should take notes from Lavar.

View media item 581783

Lol.this fool made it a race thread by mistake, after complaining about not making this a race thread lol, the irony...

He STILL hasn't said how what Archie Manning did was any better..

But hey, that damn weekend avy and "weekend avy lite" are always instigating!

I'll take a crack at this one. Is what Archie Manning did really that bad? The Chargers are a poorly ran franchise. Archie played for a poorly ran franchise and saw firsthand how that can ruin a career. Ultimately it was the right move, the mannings got ripped for it, but it was the right move looking back.

If Donald Sterling was still the Clippers owner or if say the Knicks had the first pick with Dolan running the show, or any historically poorly ran team in general, pops would be well within reason to not want his son to go to a team which might be damaging to his career. Especially the Sterling situation. Would be completely justified. He'd likely still get crap from the media but his reasoning would be warranted, he'd be looking out for his sons best interest by not wanting him on a team which is poorly ran.

When he does all the extra stuff like saying his son will only play for one team, and that he's better than some of the best players in the league already, he's overdoing it and potentially costing his son money in that some teams may not want to draft Lonzo because of the father if there's a similar talent on the table as well.

Last edited:
It's often an ego/status thing with these types of parents though. I know some doctors that refused to let their children become anything else other than a doctor. I have an acquaintance in med school who HATES touching people, yet his parents want him to become a surgeon
mean.gif
laugh.gif
He once told me "I don't want to go to med school, but my parents would only pay for my college if I studied bio".
Your parents can want you to be whatever they want, but if the child  doesnt have the skills to make it in said profession theyll fail. Now if your child has the skills, then its a diff story. I have an Uncle who is a surgeon and hes super elitist. Hes  paid for my cousin to attend  expensive elite schools and universities and bragged about how he was gonna pass his practice to my cousin and flourish.  He's always wanted my cousin to become a surgeon that was his dream. My cousin had all the opportunities to be like his father, but he didnt have the skill set or the intellectual wherewithal to make it in the medical field. My Uncle has known for years that my cousin doesnt have what it takes, but he never gave up and forced his son to pursue medicine because it was HIS dream. Now my cousin is all messed up mentally and works as a secretary in his fathers medical office. My uncle lived through his son more than Lavar, in my opinion. It looks like the Balls have the skills to possibly be what their dad wants, and it seems like they truly love playing basketball. I think his talking and crazyness is used as a tool to motivate and inspire his kids. Hes different from my uncle because his Kids have the skills to make it, my cousin didnt. 

What do yall expect Lonzo to say about his sons? They suck and have ugly jumpers and their ceiling is a poorman's Steph Curry?

serious? he said someone has to be better than MJ regarding Lonzo

stop being naive

Either you're one of those MJ apologists that feel he can do no wrong and never be surpassed...

Or you're just a hater.

What if I told my kid "somebody has to be better than Barack Obama" no one would scoff.

We hold sports to a different standard for some strange reason, and it's only compounded w/ the fact that this dude is black AND knows wtf he's doing.

Lonzo Ball is a 6'5', possibly end up being 6'6' all american freshman point guard shooting FORTY PERCENT from trey. He will be ok.

NBA players are not going into games thinking "I'm going to buss his *** b/c his daddy wants him to be the best." **** don't work like that, my g.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom