The Graphic Design Thread UPDATE: 1st post filled with info. 2nd with NTer's portfolios.

ah ok, its gonna be tricky to start, but if you can draw with a mouse while looking at a screen its sort of the same thing. 

Did you get one with the pen? 
yeah i got a pen and one smaller and one large tablet. Going to try it out after work tonight 

yeah i got a pen and one smaller and one large tablet. Going to try it out after work tonight 
the way i learned was literally just tryna watch tutorials on youtube, and practice, gotta be a little weird cuz its like drawing on paper but not looking down, its gets confusing, and itll be tricky for the first couple weeks, but youll get the hang of it..its all i use now

This well known dj has a chef who is opening a restaurant. I'm being considered to design it along with some other stuff :pimp:

just last week i realized 'Air Max Day' was coming up on March 26,
and wanted to make my own version of 'The Master' in a pair of Air Max 90s.
1, because i didnt like how Nike executed the AM1 'The Master'. (toes shoudlve been 1 red & 1 blue & pairs used in the mudguard were inconsistent)

2, to brush up on my PS skills, havent opened up for any work for a month
and 3, to participate in Air Max Day on social media. deada**. (i got no Air Max heat) :rofl:

i thought the 26 was this past Saturday, so i posted my renders on twitter & instagram.
to then realize the 26 was Sunday.

a few minutes after posting it, i got a dm from Matt Halfhill, the NiceKicks founder, saying he wanted to feature me on the site.
i was pretty hype hearing that. wayyy back, i used to check the site daily.

heres my uber short feature on nicekicks.
AM90 The Master

then on the actual Air Max Day, i posted this on social media.
and folks who found me from the feature, retweets & whatever think this is real.
even a few people asking where to buy 'my customs' :lol:

/coolstorybro.

Last edited:
Bump. Found this thread by searching for "ipad procreate"

I used to be heavy into art (mostly just drawing) back in HS and earlier, but then when I got to college that kind of faded. Considered going into Graphic Design but ended up going a different direction. Now years later, I'm bored and getting the itch to start creating art again.

That said.... anyone have any thoughts on getting an iPad and the Procreate app? I have a Wacom Intuous medium Tablet from 5+ years ago, but it was too cumbersome to plug the pad into my laptop, laptop into my TV (for a larger screen), etc. Watching YouTube videos of the iPad + Procreate seems a lot easier, drawing directly onto the screen. Right now it would just be a hobby to sketch / mess around with, but wondering if anyone had any tips / thoughts on it. I know its not as "professional" as using AI or PS, but not sure that matters all that much anymore. I do have an Amazon Merch account (Print on Demand apparel that is printed and sold via Amazon, all you do is upload the design in the proper format and create the listing).

Bump. Found this thread by searching for "ipad procreate"

I used to be heavy into art (mostly just drawing) back in HS and earlier, but then when I got to college that kind of faded. Considered going into Graphic Design but ended up going a different direction. Now years later, I'm bored and getting the itch to start creating art again.

That said.... anyone have any thoughts on getting an iPad and the Procreate app? I have a Wacom Intuous medium Tablet from 5+ years ago, but it was too cumbersome to plug the pad into my laptop, laptop into my TV (for a larger screen), etc. Watching YouTube videos of the iPad + Procreate seems a lot easier, drawing directly onto the screen. Right now it would just be a hobby to sketch / mess around with, but wondering if anyone had any tips / thoughts on it. I know its not as "professional" as using AI or PS, but not sure that matters all that much anymore. I do have an Amazon Merch account (Print on Demand apparel that is printed and sold via Amazon, all you do is upload the design in the proper format and create the listing).

it's definitely viable (pros are have been using ipads in their workflow) and there are apps that can create vector art and export to ai/psd format but i'd recommend hitting an apple store/best buy or the like to try it out, if you are familiar w/wacom products it can rigged to work similarly except the experience of the pencil on the screen is super slippery and not nearly as pressure sensitive (tho functionally the pressure sensitivity really good even on previous generations)

it may also be useful to rock with the student version of the ipad that is compatible w/the apple pencil that i believe goes for around $329 + $99 for the pencil rather than the current gen pro that starts from $649 + 129 for the new apple pencil

it's definitely viable (pros are have been using ipads in their workflow) and there are apps that can create vector art and export to ai/psd format but i'd recommend hitting an apple store/best buy or the like to try it out, if you are familiar w/wacom products it can rigged to work similarly except the experience of the pencil on the screen is super slippery and not nearly as pressure sensitive (tho functionally the pressure sensitivity really good even on previous generations)

it may also be useful to rock with the student version of the ipad that is compatible w/the apple pencil that i believe goes for around $329 + $99 for the pencil rather than the current gen pro that starts from $649 + 129 for the new apple pencil

From what I've seen, the Apple pencil is still pretty nice and in Procreate you can adjust the pressure settings. That said, my research today reminded me why I dislike Apple. Last year's iPad pro isn't compatible with the Pencil 2, and vice versa. And the new iPad pro is usb-c which isn't an issue for me since my phone is as well, but there's no headphone jack so you have to get bluetooth or usb-c headphones.

I think I'm still going to get one though. Costco has the 256gb pro 11" for $100 off, and 90 day return policy. Have an 8 hour flight coming up so wouldn't hurt to have something to mess with. Wish it wasn't so expensive tho

What's the best platform to look for and find design jobs? I've used indeed for my current gig, but I feel as if I'm ready for the next level.

the apple pencil is kinda amazing, tho it isn't technically nearly as sensitive as a wacom stylus, in practice the difference is barely noticeable...but the way the pencil slides around the screen can take some getting used to, and tho using a matte screen protector does give the screen more resistance it washes out the colors and is only adds marginal benefit... i wish someone would make some felt nibs for the pencil. in any case, the differences between the regular ipad (the version that supports the pencil), the last gen ipad pro, and the latest ipad pro aren't so large and as it seemed you were on the fence and the latest ipad pro with the pencil costs twice as much (made a mistake on the pricing) & almost 3x for the 256 version...apps like procreate run just as well regardless of the version

What's the best platform to look for and find design jobs? I've used indeed for my current gig, but I feel as if I'm ready for the next level.

man, i feel you...it seems the best way to find works is by leveraging your network of colleagues/friends/relationships in (and outside as well) your field. that and perhaps hitting up hr/people @placesyouwouldliketowork tho it's always a toss up with getting a prompt response if at all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom