The Minnesota Timberwolves Offseason Thread - Kris Dunn at No. 5 in Most Recent DX Mock

The Minnesota Timberwolves announced that center Nikola Pekovic will miss the entire 2016-17 season due to recurring right ankle pain. A determination about future seasons will be made at a later date.

Pekovic, 30, has played parts of six seasons with the Wolves after the team drafted him with the 31st overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft. In 271 career games, the 6-11 center owns averages of 12.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 24.9 minutes per contest.

Minneapolis/St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced additions to the team’s basketball staff for the 2016-17 NBA season, naming Noah Croom as Assistant General Manager, Brian Pauga as Director of Player Personnel and John Carideo, Jim Eyen, Drew Nicholas, Scott Roth and Jim Todd as Scouts. The team also named Matthew Duhamel as Director of Athletic Therapy, Pierre Nesbit as Assistant Athletic Trainer and Troy Sutton as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.

The team also announced the following staff have been appointed to various positions within the organization: Calvin Booth as Director of Pro Personnel, Matt Bollero as Pro Personnel Scout, David Crewe as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach/Assistant Athletic Trainer, Emmanuel Rohan as Director of Basketball Administration, Todd Checovich as Manager of Basketball Operations and Rachel Saunders as Manager of Team Services.

NBA GM Annual Survey:

Which NBA team will be most improved in 2016-17 NBA season?

1. 56.7 - Minnesota Timberwolves
2. 23.3 - Utah Jazz
3. 10.0 - New York Knicks

If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?

1. 48.3 - Karl-Anthony Towns
2. 20.7 - Kevin Durant
3. 17.2 - Lebron James

Who will be the 2016-17 NBA Rookie of the Year?

1. 46.7 - Kris Dunn
2. 13.3 - Buddy Heild
3. 13.3 - Ben Simmons

Which NBA head coach has the best defensive schemes?

1. 60.0 - Tom Thibodeau
2. 33.3 - Gregg Popovich
3. 6.7 - Many

And to calm the hype a bit, The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor:

Kris Dunn, Timberwolves

The 46.7 percent of NBA general managers who predict Dunn will win Rookie of the Year must’ve made their choice before the preseason. You’d hope. Through six exhibition games, the rookie point guard has more turnovers (15) than he does made field goals (9); he shot 1-of-9 from beyond the arc, and just 8-for-35 from 2-point range.

The problems that plagued him at Providence — decision-making and shot selection — have carried over to the pros.

For every dazzling play Dunn made in college, there was one that was equally careless. Seeing history repeat itself in the preseason is enough to aggravate fans, let alone Dunn’s new basketball-obsessed head coach, who’s back after spending all of last season hunkered down in his film room bunker.

Thibodeau reportedly anticipates that Dunn will become the Wolves’ starting point guard about 20 games into the season, sources told The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski. That sounds crazy to me unless Ricky Rubio is traded, or the Wolves are really all in on tossing their prized rookie into the spotlight. It’s difficult to see how Dunn can be trusted to run an offense when he still frequently commits the kind of preventable mistakes made by high school point guards. Putting Dunn on that kind of timetable suggests that the Wolves are actually placing more emphasis on development than making the playoffs.

Of course, if that’s the case, it’s a justifiable decision. Those flawed plays also reveal the extraordinary quickness and burst that made Dunn the no. 5 pick in the first place. Dunn’s numbers will improve: He won’t shoot worse than his 20.7 effective field goal percentage from this preseason. He shot 44 percent off the dribble as a junior in college, per DraftExpress, so it could be only a matter of time before he finds his rhythm.

Dunn plays like a Walmart John Wall. He’s scary fast, though not quite as athletic, and certainly far less developed as a scorer and playmaker. We already know that Dunn can defend, that he can create space off the dribble, and that he’ll show flashes that will make your jaw drop. But by the end of the season I’d like to see the game begin to slow down for Dunn. Developing good habits off the bench against lesser players could be good for him. While adjusting to the speed of the NBA, he’ll need to show that he can play a composed game in order to be more than a low-efficiency scorer.

I don't understand why they can't stay. This team this season needs Rubio more than Dunn. Let Dunn play second units and learn. And if Rubio chooses to bounce then fine. Rubio just does so much for this team. I think this team maybe the best he's had a tad bit over that lockout squad.

Plus depth in the West is so key. Playoffs spots between 6-10 this season will be tough. I don't see anyone I would want for Rubio back. Just let them play.

They play with lack of energy a lot at times.

Hope for full recovery for Zach :smh: sucks.

Update!

View media item 2332654
@bradradio - #twolves new color scheme to feature lime green, navy blue, and heather gray. Uniform unveiled this spring and worn 2017-18 #PowerOfThePack

Bad news: I have almost zero confidence in this team to make this a classic, great look, as opposed to something "the kids" will buy with terrible hipster fonts, shorts, and design.
Good news: Uniforms need overhaul so anything new is good. Nike, not adidas, designers will likely have a hand in this.

Nike better release that black with green jersey damn it! Or rookie year KG jerseys.

Grave dig but I am completely pumped about last night.... the team needs this. It's go-time now and I get the sense more small moves are coming.

In a move that can only be described as surreal, Tom Thibodeau and Scott Layden finally pulled the trigger on their first trade since taking over the Wolves in April 2016, sending Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn, and the 7th pick (which became Lauri Markkanen, the stretch four from Arizona) for Jimmy Butler and the 16th pick (which became Justin Patton, the raw center from Creighton).

National media has essentially been giving the Wolves "A's" last night and the Bulls "F's."

SI.com's front page has the headline "Timberwolves fleece Bulls in trade for Butler."

None of that means anything right now but it's just fun to finally be on the other side for once. LaVine will be missed but the team knows it cannot pay him max-type money in a couple years. Dunn to me is a lost cause...as big a disappointment as we have seen around here and that's saying something. I do hope he picks it up for Chicago because he is a good kid.

Jimmy Butler's trainer, Travelle Gaines, had some choice words for Chicago Bulls general manager Gar Forman on Thursday night in the aftermath of a trade that sent the All-Star swingman to the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn and Lauri Markkanen.

Travelle Gaines @travellegaines -- 0-82. worst culture in the league. I met drug dealers with better morals then their GM. He is a liar and everyone knows

Gamechanger. 

I am def more in the middle than most because I have been on the record of saying that I like Dunn's game, and Lavine has obvious talent. 

The pick does not bother me at all though....

At the end of the day we finally have a star to pair with the pups. Playoffs are certainty pending injuries. Feels good.

More excited about what moves we have left.

We still have 3-4 players who most likely won't be here in October.

Last edited:
LaVine was my favorite Wolf, but eh...I'll take this for sure. If all goes well, Butler will end up being option #3 behind KAT and Wiggins on offense and if KAT and Wiggins come up to their defensive potential then damn...Promising future.

Y'all know how I felt about Lavine...He was my favorite and I think we should have stuck with the young core to see where it went but I knew Thibs was thirsty for a Bulls player better Jimmy than Rose and Noah.

I'll watch and see but I dnt see it, Jimmy has always had bad locker room rumors that can possibly disrupt chemistry. He's not a Vet that is a leader and he thinks he's better than he is I guarantee he will come with that it's my team now mentality while I prefer KAT to have that title. We will see....

Last edited:
LaVine was my favorite Wolf, but eh...I'll take this for sure. If all goes well, Butler will end up being option #3 behind KAT and Wiggins on offense and if KAT and Wiggins come up to their defensive potential then damn...Promising future.

With all we heard about Butler's attitude no way he will accept a #3 option role and I doubt Thibs would want it that way he favors older players. I always knew he would trade Lavine I seen it coming the minute he signed on

Last edited:
Gamechanger. 

I am def more in the middle than most because I have been on the record of saying that I like Dunn's game, and Lavine has obvious talent. 

The pick does not bother me at all though....

At the end of the day we finally have a star to pair with the pups. Playoffs are certainty pending injuries. Feels good.

More excited about what moves we have left.

We still have 3-4 players who most likely won't be here in October.

Tell me how you feel when Rubio is traded for Rose and you got three ball stoppers Rose/ Jimmy/ Wiggins freezing KAT out of the offense.

Bulls 2.0

Tell me how you feel when Rubio is traded for Rose and you got three ball stoppers Rose/ Jimmy/ Wiggins freezing KAT out of the offense.

Bulls 2.0
Im way more excited about Taj gibson possibility. 

I for the life of me cannot figure out why Thibs hates Tyus.....Good solid backup pg. 

I believe we're screwed because I think for sure Thibs is going to sign Rose and at some point trade away Wiggins if he's not fired yet. Everyone I'm reading online believes Wiggins is the third option and shockingly everyone now has the balls to say "if Wiggins is one of your top two players you can't win a championship" that was mostly Simmons and I wanted to choke him through my phone when he said that. But a lot of people believe Jimmy will light a fire under Wiggins while I believe Wiggins will get tired of his shots going to Thibs favorite son.

I'm not happy I would prefer to keep the young core and I'm sure they could've found a way not to pay Zach max money. I have no idea why everyone think they're a max player when they're not. But if he would've left then I say make the trade. I just hope one day he comes back like Brewer because Chicago is a dumpster fire.

Not excite just hesitant as all $&@@ right now. Wade may have corrupt him in someway and I believe there will be stories leaking out how Jimmy is being annoying.

But until then I'll wait......

New Jersey's should be revealed soon. Plus Target Center renovation. Interesting time to say the least.

Last edited:
Marc Stein:

The Minnesota Timberwolves remain intent on dealing point guard Ricky Rubio after acquiring All-Star swingman Jimmy Butler, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN that the Wolves, despite Rubio's strong second half last season, are trying to add more shooting to their lineup and continue to make the Spaniard available via trade.

The Wolves surrendered their presumed point guard of the future -- Kris Dunn -- in the trade with Chicago to acquire Butler, but sources say they remain in search of a veteran at the position even though Rubio, 26, averaged 16.0 points and 10.5 assists per game after the All-Star break.

I think boys blew it. I love Jimmy, but there will be a shelf life on his prime, which he's currently in. Hopefully that doesn't detract from KAT (or Wiggins, or any of the other pieces that are long term on the team). It should be a huge improvement, but are you locking in the potential to be a contender in Jimmy's Prime? I don't think so. Should have let those young cats all grow together. I love Thibs, but I don't think he was the right fit for these guys.

Also kinda dumb to trade 2 PG options and then put your starting PG up in the media for trade. You didn't mess up trade leverage doing that? Rubio had a slight surge in value the way he played late last year, imo.

and Gorgiu gotta get off the court :x he'd be a nice 2nd unit guy though. I thought Markonnen (or even taking Malik Monk as future PG/SG insurance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom