The Minnesota Timberwolves Thread: Timberwolves, Anthony Bennett part ways

If the Timberwolves don't reach an extension with Ricky Rubio tonight, he'll become a restricted FA at the end of this season.

Quotes from coach/GM/part-owner Flip Saunders just a few minutes ago on KFAN Sports Radio 100.3 in Minneapolis/St. Paul:

“Conversations are still ongoing, so that’s a good sign.”

“There’s always some things at the end that can pretty much go either way. So it’s always optimistic when you’re still talking … we’ll see where it goes.”

“You’re looking to put together a team, so sometimes you have to do things not just based on somebody’s feelings.”

On whether he thinks this is going to go to the wire:

“Well right now, it’s 5 o’clock, we’ve been going since July 1. I think this is a wire-to-wire finish.”

If Rubio steps up his shooting game which really is his only weakness then we will be good...

Andrew Wiggins 
mean.gif

He got burned a lot tonight.....The amount of Chicago fans in that building always surprises me, idk why tho.
But I felt Wigg was over helping too much on pick and rolls. He always had to rush back and cover the shooter who in most chances hit those shots in Butler and MDJr

I liked he was closing. And he took shot in those moments and Flip trusted him to cover Butler whenever knew Thibs was going for 2 screens to open Butler up. The rookie will learn and I expect him to bounce back.

BTW, Bennett's just show confidence to me. I believe next year he'll be the starter and I can't wait :smokin I'm all in for Big Daddy Canada.... :lol:

Missed the game, but didn't see much that stood out from the box score except KMart going off, which means diddly. Part of me wants him to go so this team can learn to score without him and allow someone to step up as the go to. I guess you need some veterans though.

Last edited:
Missed the game, but didn't see much that stood out from the box score except KMart going off, which means diddly. Part of me wants him to go so this team can learn to score without him and allow someone to step up as the go to. I guess you need some veterans though.
But at the expense of developing our young talent? Nah...

I see what you mean though, but the only vet I want on this team at the end of the year is rubio. Martin might win you 5 more games than you should but at what cost? He eats up minutes, while lavine and bazz could be getting clock, he also plays ZERO defense, and looks disinterested. Trade him to a contender for a young prospect, and trade brewer and buddinger for whatever you can get for them.

I think where Flip "Godfather" Saunders screwed up in this rebuilding year was not having some real veterans to plant themselves in the lockerroom and groom the young guys. I often take that aspect for granted but I read time and time again how important it is for newcomers and young players to see veterans lead by example and to also have an eye in the clubhouse. You create solid habits. Kevin Garnett has talked countless times about how when he got to MN Sam Mitchell and Terry Porter basically said "this is the way it is" and how it shaped him to be the player he eventually was.

The Wolves now? These young guys basically got the run of the clubhouse (by default) and also watch their vets play turnstyle defense and also not care about the scoreboard. Throw in the fact that the head coach (Saunders) has never disciplined in his life and it makes me cringe.

Despite having tired legs the New Orleans and Dallas games last week were absolutely embarrassing and I'm interested to see who steps up and cares and says this is not how we are going to be.

Britt Robson goes pretty hard at the team in his latest column: http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2014...bad-against-new-orleans-they-were-disgraceful

:lol:

76ers 85, Timberwolves 77

Once again Wolves playing like chumps. Any other opponent they'd be down 20. Pretty shameful, flirting w/embarrassment to save some energy — Britt Robson (@brittrobsin)
It was a demoralizing experience; arguably the sloppiest game I've ever witnessed in person, filled with turnovers, loose balls and dreadful offensive execution. - John Meyer, Canis Hoopus
...tonight’s game probably was the worst NBA game I’ve ever been to. - Tim Faklis, AWolfAmongWolves
Worst game I've ever watched. And it's not even close — Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski)
This is rock bottom. - Derek James, 1500ESPN
My love-hate relationship with the Wolves is teetering dangerously toward just hate. - Eric, Canis Hoopus
A decade of terrible basketball. A half full arena to watch a team with nothing discernible going for it. A POBO/coach who doesn't distinguish himself at either job, and an owner who didn't want him to coach but thought himself powerless to stop it. - Eric, Canis Hoopus

Ladies and gentlemen your Minnesota Timberwolves !

Last edited:
I watch most of that garbage. :x

Flip has been a disaster, the zone is a disaster.

and whats the worse, Flip isn't getting fired anytime soon since he's a part owner right?

Osh Flip is head coach, President/GM, part owner, and full decision maker on all draft picks and personnel.

Glen Taylor is the embarrassment. Which is what most of us have stated for years now.

The only good thing that is going on with this team is that thank god they are hitting rock bottom again and setting up for another high draft choice. This season is comedy again but would have been a waste without that IMO.

Last edited:
Chase Budinger gets to salvage everything and nothing tomorrow versus Houston.

What a piss-poor performance. I predicted it in the NBA Season Thread earlier during the day yesterday, it's just the same rising action (draft, May-June) and falling action (October-April) at this point.

I don't care if you don't have Ricky Rubio, Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Martin -- that's not a team anybody can lose to.

Sixers only had to hit freaking 80 points to win. Man.

I posted it because it's funny, not as a positive. Everybody in this state has already soured on Mo Williams.

Kevin Love missed 64 games in 2012-13 because of a broken hand.
Ricky Rubio missed 41 games in 2011-12 after tearing his knee and 14 of 19 games (and counting) this year with a bum ankle.
Chase Budinger was traded here in 2012. He then missed 100 of 164 games with a knee before this season.
Malcolm Lee was a rare second round pick given a guaranteed three-year contract. He played in 35 total games in two seasons because of leg and knee injuries and was shipped out.
Kevin Martin was brought in in 2013. He's missed 24 games of 101 (and counting).
Ronny Turiaf was brought in in 2013. He has missed 68 of 101 games (and counting) with various injuries.
Pek has missed 51 of the past 128 games (and counting) because of various injuries.

Been brought up before with this franchise but it's always amazing. Of all the Wolves issues (some of their own doing, some of just blind luck) the one thing that never stops is this team having the stream of players in street clothes. I don't know what the solution is.

I sat down and watched the entire Wolves/Warriors game last night.

It was horrendous. Like laugh out loud horrendous.

I can't believe this is a professional basketball team. Missed layup after layup, throwing the ball directly at the other team, not being able to hit any jumpers, can't guard anyone. It was like watching a bad CBA team. This franchise is officially cursed (as if we didn't know already).

Back
Top Bottom