The Minnesota Timberwolves Thread: Timberwolves, Anthony Bennett part ways

WE'RE HERE. Tuesday, May 19!

Through this cathartic video, relive the nightmares...

... because the dream begins tonight. :pimp:

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Last edited:
Ugh the high hopes I had for some of those guys. Oh well.

So it looks like Jahill is more of a PF but Towns could be a center, no? I'm only asking I haven't been watching college ball adjusting to a new city and school.

But if we get one of those two it looks like our frontcourt will be loaded: Pek, AB (who I think should be back and woild like back), KG, Gorgui, and then Payne. KG might be limited to what now, no more than 42 games, but will be paided to mentor the young guys.

If we land lets say 3-5 somehow how do yall feel about who would be available then?

Last edited:
I would love to hear the trade offers Flip is getting in the upcoming weeks.....Boogie anyone?

KD?

I AM SO HAPPY! :rofl:

Exactly my concerns. He can't stay healthy. What kind of trade piece is he if he's owed a lot of money and wont' play the majority of the season?

Thankful for the Knicks two-game winning streak to end the year.

The No. 2 odds fell to 4, and the No. 1 odds cashed out.

I love Pek. I do, but who is taking this contract?
No one is taking that contract 
mean.gif

But KAT and 22 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 the future is bright

:lol: they finally did it.

Gonna be real interesting next month to see what happens with this.

Both big men are obviously good grabs but Okafor especially I do not see him impacting a game like a great big man would 10-15 years ago.

No worries about anything right now, just soaking in this moment. 8) :smokin

If the Timberwolves make a semi-splash in FA (checking cap status now) for a wing who can shoot from long range or a starting 4, who do we all think they should target?

I imagine yesterday gave the franchise a greater chance of bringing in somebody of actual merit who could service one of those two needs.

Last edited:
KG seems to be returning.. do we have much roster space for anyone in FA?

We still have NemanjaBjelica the PF overseas who just won the MVP out there if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he chooses to finally come over this year.

Flip was blowing smoke and all kind of other stuff when talking to Barreiro earlier about Towns-Okafor's-Russell, but seemed genuine when he said they're only in a position to offer a couple MLE's in free agency.

Saunders soaking up the scene as usual :rolleyes

His yesterday schedule of worship:

7AM - On air with WCCO and Sid Hartman
9AM - On air with KFAN and Paul Allen
10AM - On air with 1500ESPN and Judd and Mackey
11AM - On air with ESPN and Colin Cowherd
2PM - On air with WCCO and Chad Hartman
6PM - On air (in studio) with KFAN and Dan Barreiro

Glen Taylor to ProBasketballTalk yesterday:

“It’s not definite,” Taylor said, after pausing for a few seconds when asked specifically about Saunders returning as head coach. “But in my mind, with the effort that he put in this year to bring this team along, it’s probably 90 percent. If he sees somebody and he changes his mind, he certainly could convince me. I think eventually I want a different coach, and I want him to be the GM. My guess is that he’ll go another year.”

Landing the top pick in the draft may be a nice enticement for Saunders to want to remain in the coaching position, but Taylor says that this recent, exciting development won’t affect that decision.

“It won’t change,” Taylor said of Saunders’ thought process. “I think that Flip will change if he sees somebody in the coaching ranks that he really respects, and thinks in the long run that they will be the right guy for this team, then I think he’ll make that decision.”

:lol:

Now it makes sense why I heard him so much on kfan yesterday

Last edited:
They're taking Jahlil Okafor, and I think Flip revealed that a number of times yesterday.

Here's how you know: He was extremely complimentary of Towns. Called him a two-way player that could immediately come in and change a team's defense, stature, and culture, but when you compare the other option at hand to one of the 10 greatest players to ever play the game, the best PF to ever play the game, you've made up your mind. Think: If he doesn't take him now after comparing him to Duncan, he has to live out Okafor's career from afar hoping desperately that he didn't CALL it and NOT take him. Imagine if that happened. That's why I think the debate is already over, no matter what gets batted around for the next month.

The problem when you compare Okafor to Tim Duncan is that they need to be alike on the defensive end for that comparison to carry weight. Duncan had both coming out of Wake Forest. Granted, he was four years older when he came out, but do we think Okafor would be shutting down the likes of Rasheed Wallace when he was a Tar Heel, etc., like Duncan was had Okafor used up all of his eligibility, hypothetically? No.

It's exciting to think of him being like Duncan on the offensive end, but I still wonder if he has ALL the variation that Duncan has. Okafor's weight loss is intriguing to me. I wonder what type of impact that could have on his PnR defense and just his overall defense in the low post.

Again, if we're going to take him, commit to your investment and curve your offense around your most talented player(s).

Last edited:
They're taking Jahlil Okafor, and I think Flip revealed that a number of times yesterday.

Here's how you know: He was extremely complimentary of Towns. Called him a two-way player that could immediately come in and change a team's defense, stature, and culture, but when you compare the other option at hand to one of the 10 greatest players to ever play the game, the best PF to ever play the game, you've made up your mind. Think: If he doesn't take him now after comparing him to Duncan, he has to live out Okafor's career from afar hoping desperately that he didn't CALL it and NOT take him. Imagine if that happened. That's why I think the debate is already over, no matter what gets batted around for the next month.

The problem when you compare Okafor to Tim Duncan is that they need to be alike on the defensive end for that comparison to carry weight. Duncan had both coming out of Wake Forest. Granted, he was four years older when he came out, but do we think Okafor would be shutting down the likes of Rasheed Wallace when he was a Tar Heel, etc., like Duncan was had Okafor used up all of his eligibility, hypothetically? No.

It's exciting to think of him being like Duncan on the offensive end, but I still wonder if he has ALL the variation that Duncan has. Okafor's weight loss is intriguing to me. I wonder what type of impact that could have on his PnR defense and just his overall defense in the low post.

Again, if we're going to take him, commit to your investment and curve your offense around your most talented player(s).

There really isn't any logic to justify taking Okafor over Towns, when you look at the wolves roster,the landscape of the league ect ect.

but flip gonna flip.

ugHHHHHH.:smh:

Last edited:
Completely agree.

And why when people bring up Towns being a two-way player is the response typically, at least locally here, "Well we're not drafting for needs or what we have right now, we're drafting for the future."

Okay, sweet. Well, I think Towns is the best player available, so we're both under the impression that we're drafting for the future?... :lol:

Last edited:
Flip can take Okafor and he probably will end up pretty good. But he won't be able to run the floor like Saunders claims he wants with this team, teams will play hack-a-Jahlil with his 50% FT, and he won't be a major defensive presence for a team lacking one for almost a decade.

Every prospect can be nit picked but personally I am just liking this Towns kid more and more for what this team wants......and needs.

But I have always said it's "best player available" and worry about the rest later.

I say the Wolves bring both players in individually and have them work out against Garnett for a day and see what comes about.

Just for fun I looked up both players' postseason statistics:

JO
8 G, 27.6 MPG, 16.0 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 58-89 FG (65%), 12-28 FT (42.9%), 1.6 BPG, 0.8 SPG

KAT
8 G, 22.6 MPG, 12.5 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 35-59 (59%), 30-34 FT (88.2%), 1.8 BPG, 0.6 SPG

Last edited:
Speaking of Garnett...

Throwback Thursday.

... to that time Garnett swindled the Timberwolves, McHale and Glen Taylor into signing Troy Hudson to a SIX-YEAR DEAL FOR $37 MILLION after a 7 and 2 season in which he was healthy for only about one-third of the season!

Timberwolves agree to terms with G Troy Hudson

July 24, 2004

The Minnesota Timberwolves and point guard Troy Hudson have reportedly reached a six-year deal worth about $37 million.

Hudson played in just 29 games last season after suffering an ankle injury in an exhibition game in late October.

Hudson made several comebacks during the campaign but eventually opted for season-ending surgery in April.

He is slated to have his walking boot removed this week. The Southern Illinois product averaged just 7.5 points and 2.4 assists per contest last season for the Timberwolves, who were ousted in six games by the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference finals

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom