The NBA Draft Thread

I think the plan to stop tanking commenced when Jerry Colangelo was hired.

I really feel it Didn't matter who was hired.This was going to be the last year regardless.The fan base and management wasn't letting this go on another year. Hopefully we land Simmons and make all this somewhat worth it.
That I can agree with (this being the last year no matter regardless).

I think they really want to build around Embiid, but can't because he's been injured.

That I can agree with (this being the last year no matter regardless).

I think they really want to build around Embiid, but can't because he's been injured.

Who Hinke really wants to build around is Wiggins..but..
That's the guy he targeted from the beginning and set all this in motion.

But I can't allow my self to get hype over embid no more..going into next season he wouldn't have played a meaningful basketball game in like 3 or 4 yrs if I'm correct. Stress factures in the back and now foot, and with the current state of the NBA dude will probably be out half the season due to back to backs and on a heavy min restriction.

The Sixers plan worked, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! They just picked the wrong people or the right people at the wrong time.

The plan requires you to put pieces in place to ensure losing happens but development occurs simultaneously. 1.) The Sixers roster - in totality - is/has been just WAY too young throughout this 3-4 year span. Have veterans in their 30s who suck to at least bring a level of stability to the locker room, a teacher among the young and undisciplined. Like, the Seattle Sonics/OKC Thunder may have worked out but then again take Nick Collison and the veterans who know what to do day in and day out and lead in example that way on just how to carry out a successful NBA career, and maybe you have a Durant/Westbrook team that far underperforms for years on end because there's not people around them at the vulnerable age they're at to teach them how the little things can be repeated and add up to the larger-scale goals.

Earth to Sam Hinkie:

A veteran is around, reliable and proof of a process that works in order to make a living on the NBA level.

A veteran isn't J-Rich 'Quarter-Man, Three-Quarters Contract'.

You need to be bad enough to lose and get the odds that can get you as high as you need to be to draft Embiid/Okafor/etc. but you must avoid all the negative attention and stigma that people will attach to that plan when you're devoid of veterans causing the sheer degree of losing that took place.

There needs to be a correct balance without garnering so much attention, so part of that is hitting on those picks so you can preoccupy people with that and not having them dwelling on Embiid's injuries, Noel's injuries, Okafor's immaturity, MCW's rise-and-fall, Saric overseas and TBD still... all that together tipped this into the territory of Jerry Colangelo needing to execute 'The Takeover' because while the Sixers were either in suits, in Europe, or punching people in the city of Boston there are makeshift 76ers players coming to arenas near you and drawing the worst road attendance (worst-attended games by team's home fans were vs. PHI by a mile) that the owners complained to the league about Hinkie and the blatant tanking finally.

Last edited:
The plan has always hinged on luck, but fundamental to the plan was getting the most lottery balls.

The lottery tankjob is all about the number of chances you have to win compared to everyone else over a course of a few years -> hoping that results in a franchise pillar.

The lottery has and will never be consistent and the odds don't remember the Sixers 'didn't' get the No. 1 last year. The balls fall in the way they do with no memory. As the executor/Hinkie, you can only put a plan in place that tries to ensure the most possible chances of team having luck, but devout adherence to the plan doesn't guarantee the end result you want... not a reality that you're going to get Karl-Anthony Towns when it's all said and done.

You can only increase the likelihood of getting KAT, not the reality of getting KAT. The plan was probably pitched with more embellishment or else why would Hinkie get the job?

You need luck even with the most lottery balls, because sometimes it's Anthony Davis No. 1 and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist No. 2 and the most lottery balls can still put you at No. 4 where you can get Dion Waiters or Thomas Robinson.

But you need to help yourself too. Sometimes it's Jahlil Okafor at No. 3 and then Kristaps Porzingis at No. 4.

Last edited:
Bynum I believe. It was a three-team trade, the one that sent Dwight to LAL, Vucevic to Orlando, and then AB to Philly (other pieces involved too).

what did Philly get in return for Nikola Vucevic?

He left in the Bynum trade..but I blame Doug Collins for that..he never played him and he stayed in his dog house for some reason. Most fans in philly didn't know what to make of him..Not to mention he drafted Evan turner before Cousins.

Last edited:
Bynum's career didn't exactly rebound though so maybe it was Bynum. Luke Walton might've played more games in a Cavaliers uniform than Bynum, who's to say.

Last edited:
Bynum's career didn't exactly rebound though so maybe it was Bynum. Luke Walton might've played more games in a Cavaliers uniform than Bynum, who's to say.

I was talking about Vucevic, Doug never gave him a chance here in philly.

Man Vuc used to put up numbers with us when he was in place of Spence when he was hurt. I was lowkey upset he got traded that day & now look at him doing his thing. Still dont think hes a franchise center tho

He was good at USC too. Then again, the 76ers had like a team one game away from the ECF/Game 7 for the ECF where Elton Brand and Andre Iguodala and a stable of veterans are your rotation. It looks stupid in hindsight when Hollis Thompson and Isaiah Canaan are main cogs of your rotation in the current day but back in 2011-12, Vucevic was a year into the league on a veteran team that went pretty deep into the playoffs before being bounced in a Game 7-situation by Boston.

Celts gotta trade whatever pick they end up with (assuming it's outside the top 2) for Okafor...It was already discussed prior to the deadline. Just need to make it a reality this offseason...

Makes sense for the Sixers too. They can take Ingram/Simmons with their pick and then either draft Murray/Dunn/Buddy or trade for veterans...

Last edited:
Whitehead into the draft without an agent...

Hope he comes back because they are a F4 caliber team next year with him. Having a strong Seton Hall team after what Nova is doing this year is a good look for the league.

Stefan Jankovic from Hawaii declared for the draft, he's very soft. But is 6'11, athletic and an shoot 3's.

Dwight Powell also was knocked as being soft in college and that worked out pretty well so he could be a possible steal.

Stefan Jankovic from Hawaii declared for the draft, he's very soft. But is 6'11, athletic and an shoot 3's.

Dwight Powell also was knocked as being soft in college and that worked out pretty well so he could be a possible steal.
Saw him play against MD. Solid player, but I wouldn't draft him first round...

Saw him play against MD. Solid player, but I wouldn't draft him first round...

yeah I meant as a 2nd rounder.

2nd roudners I like

Fred Van Vleet
Gary Payton II
Caris LeVert
Ron Baker
A.J. Hammons

deep sleeepers

Stefan Jankovic
Kay Flder
Shawn Long

Celts gotta trade whatever pick they end up with (assuming it's outside the top 2) for Okafor...It was already discussed prior to the deadline. Just need to make it a reality this offseason...

Makes sense for the Sixers too. They can take Ingram/Simmons with their pick and then either draft Murray/Dunn/Buddy or trade for veterans...

Im down for this...i want Buddy

Last edited:
yeah I meant as a 2nd rounder.

2nd roudners I like

Fred Van Vleet
Gary Payton II
Caris LeVert
Ron Baker
A.J. Hammons

deep sleeepers

Stefan Jankovic
Kay Flder
Shawn Long
I doubt payton lasts past the first round. If someone reached for Tyus for christ sakes

Back
Top Bottom