The NBA Stats Thread: The 15-year chain reaction that led to the NBA's current offensive explosion

I don't see how the legend trumps the production when he has the best winning percentage of any coach, in any of the four major sports.

And like I don't have to state again, it's not just regular season success.

Last edited:
Yeaaaaaaah, and there is my point.

The legend of Pop is faaaaar bigger than the actual production of Pop. I rest my case.
phils production was enhanced by great players while pops coaching developed good players into great ones.  u think manu and tony would be the same players today without pop?

So, Phil is 13-0 in Conference Finals.
Pop is 5-3.

Phil is 11-2 in Finals
Pop is 4-0 (let's for argument give him 5-0)

Phil has repeated as conference champ, and overall champ in 92, 93, 97, 98, 01, 02, 09, and 2010
Pop has NEVER repeated as conference champ, or overall champ

Phil has beaten Pop 4 of 5 times.

Phil went to 7 Finals in 11 years, WHILE Duncan and Pop were together, in their primes, with Phil going thru both of them those 4 times, but......
Pop won 2 of his titles (and maybe soon #3) while Phil was NOT COACHING. 99, 05 and maybe 2013.

In other words, Pop has TWO, titles while Phil Jackson was the coach.

And those 2, let's look at them.

Phil's team coming off a 3 peat, the Spurs finally beat them in 6, after losing 8 times in 9 games the previous 2 years, then they beat the Nets, in their second of a back to back Finals run.
In 07, they were losing to the Suns, before the hip check that suspended the Suns frontcourt and allowed the Spurs to move on, and face the one man Cavs team.

That is your case for Pop, over Phil. Even though not one single year did Pop have less than at least 2 HOFers on his roster, same as Phil. (certainly we know the overall edge player wise is indeed Phil)

But hey, coaching nice guy David, Duncan, Manu, Parker is much tougher than dealing with MJ, Rodman, benching Pippen for Kukoc (and being right) Bison Dele, Kobe/Shaq, Lamar Odom's issues, Bynum, etc.

Yes, I can see your points clearly now. I agree with you guys.

Manu yes (remember he was a heralded player coming from Europe in 2002 and Pop has even made jokes about trying not to coach Manu too much), but Tony not so much.

Yeaaaaaaah, and there is my point.

The legend of Pop is faaaaar bigger than the actual production of Pop. I rest my case.
phils production was enhanced by great players while pops coaching developed good players into great ones.  u think manu and tony would be the same players today without pop?

You mean Trevor Ariza was great before, and after the Lakers?
You mean Jordan Farmar and Sasha Vujacic were great before or after the Lakers?
You mean LO was a force before or after the Lakers?
Pau Gasol was winning playoff games before he joined LA?
Bynum outta high school was destined to be a great Center?
Ron Artest ever win ANYTHING before he came to LA?
Jordan and Pip were winning before Phil?
BJ Armstrong, Kerr, Paxson, the bummy 7 footers, Ron Harper's corpse, Horace Grant, Kukoc, they were all great before, or after Phil left them in Chicago?

Whaaaaaaat? Only Pop can get credit for bringing the most out of his players? WOOOOOORRRRRRRD? :lol:

Ok guys, I get it, Pop is better than any coach, ever. He has never lost to a scrub coach, or a lesser team, with HC, or a lead, any of that. When he loses, it's cuz Manu is injured. Every single time. Ever. Clearly, he is thee best, Riley, Red, and Phil all rolled into 1. The Heat should probably go ahead and send their players home now, we know they can't win, it's obvious as hell. I agree with you guys. I've seen the error in my ways.

Other than using subjective arguments over how good MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe were (and you might have a case)...there's just no other argument to be had for Pop > Phil.

Phil coached 20 years, he was in the Finals for 13 of em. Won 11. I think that stuff is so ridiculous that it's almost become easy to gloss over and say, 'yeah, that's great..but..'

Can Add this CP: Pop traded Rodman because they clashed, Phil went and won 3 in a row with him immediately.

Other than using subjective arguments over how good MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe were (and you might have a case)...there's just no other argument to be had for Pop > Phil.

Phil coached 20 years, he was in the Finals for 13 of em. Won 11. I think that stuff is so ridiculous that it's almost become easy to gloss over and say, 'yeah, that's great..but..'

Can Add this CP: Pop traded Rodman because they clashed, Phil went and won 3 in a row with him immediately.

Well, I was trying not to use too many facts, I get called a hater for pointing out things that actually happened, but thank you tho. I did indeed forget a couple things like that, and adding Ron Artest to the list of nutjobs Phil has coached into titles.

BJ Armstrong, Kerr, Paxson, the bummy 7 footers, Ron Harper's corpse, Horace Grant, Kukoc, they were all great before, or after Phil left them in Chicago?

Whaaaaaaat? Only Pop can get credit for bringing the most out of his players? WOOOOOORRRRRRRD?
laugh.gif

Ok guys, I get it, Pop is better than any coach, ever. He has never lost to a scrub coach, or a lesser team, with HC, or a lead, any of that. When he loses, it's cuz Manu is injured. Every single time. Ever. Clearly, he is thee best, Riley, Red, and Phil all rolled into 1. The Heat should probably go ahead and send their players home now, we know they can't win, it's obvious as hell. I agree with you guys. I've seen the error in my ways.
trevor ariza, farmar, and vujecic were never great.  lamar odom was the best player on a playoff team the year before he was traded to la.  gasol was already an all star and bynum better have been good eventually with that skillset to go with his size.   jordan and pippen were already great players before phil.  bj armstrong, ron harper, horace grant, also never great but were pretty damn good before phil.  

phil certaintly has gotten the most out of his players but thats not saying much when u have coached some of the best players of all time.  including 2 of the 3 most dominating players to ever play the game.  

i think its between pop and thibs for best coach right now.  can't decide between the two.

quit reaching and calling average players great.  your better than that.

Last edited:
Pop. As great as Thibs is, he runs his players into the ground. He and Pop are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as knowing when to get players some rest.

Usually I'll see this thread with 4-5 new replies and think "Must be a new article and a few comments, awesome". I saw 31 new replies and thought "I wonder what could have sparked such a discussion".

Sure enough, it's CP vendetta against Pop :lol:

Usually I'll see this thread with 4-5 new replies and think "Must be a new article and a few comments, awesome". I saw 31 new replies and thought "I wonder what could have sparked such a discussion".

Sure enough, it's CP vendetta against Pop :lol:

Not my fault man. I just commented on the last line and they came yellin at me for not praising him enough. :lol:

The guy is a top 4 all time coach, apparently that's not good enough for everyone. :smh:

4 rings isnt enough? That alone is enough production to let his legend be as big as it wants to get.

Whaaaaaaat? Only Pop can get credit for bringing the most out of his players? WOOOOOORRRRRRRD? :lol:

trevor ariza, farmar, and vujecic were never great.  lamar odom was the best player on a playoff team the year before he was traded to la.  gasol was already an all star and bynum better have been good eventually with that skillset to go with his size.   jordan and pippen were already great players before phil.  bj armstrong, ron harper, horace grant, also never great but were pretty damn good before phil.  

phil certaintly has gotten the most out of his players but thats not saying much when u have coached some of the best players of all time.  including 2 of the 3 most dominating players to ever play the game.  

i think its between pop and thibs for best coach right now.  can't decide between the two.

quit reaching and calling average players great.  your better than that.

What the hell are you talkin about?

You said Pop made Manu and TP GREAT, then took it back when PMatic pointed out Manu already was. So that leaves Tony, as the only Star Pop ever elevated. The rest are role guys, he raised up.
Same as EVERY name I just gave you on Phil's side. Role guys Phil elevated to their bests.

Ain't nobody reachin, I used your exact logic on the other side.

Less Phil-Pop and more LeBron because I feel like the world hasn't talked enough about his play.
What's wrong with LeBron in Finals

LeBron James has scored just 50 points for the Miami Heat in the 2013 NBA Finals, his fewest over a three-game span (regular or postseason) since the 2011 Finals against the Dallas Mavericks.

After shooting 62.7 percent against the Milwaukee Bucks, James’ highest shooting percentage in any career playoff series, he’s shooting 38.9 percent in the NBA Finals, his lowest shooting percentage in any postseason series with the Heat.

If it holds, James’ field goal percentage would be the third-lowest of all-time in the NBA Finals by a player who won the regular-season MVP, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

How is this happening?

Getting Further From the Basket

View media item 453457
One factor is shot distance, as James has moved further away from the basket throughout the playoffs.

His average shot distance has increased in each series, beginning with an average distance of 8.5 feet in the First Round vs the Bucks to 13.3 feet in the Finals vs the San Antonio Spurs.

Mid-Range Struggles

James continues to struggle with his mid-range jump shooting (outside the paint and inside the 3-point line) in his NBA Finals career. He’s shooting 23 percent from that area, including going just 4-for-17 (23.5%) in this year’s Finals.

The Spurs have had success keeping him out of the paint. James has attempted 17 mid-range shots through three games after attempting 22 such shots in the 2012 NBA Finals.

No Freebies

In Game 3, James failed to attempt a free throw for the first time in his Heat playoff career. In fact, he has shot just six free throws in three games this series.

To compare, James averaged 7.7 free throw attempts per game in the Eastern Conference Finals vs the Pacers. Even that was down from the 8.5 per game he averaged in the first two rounds this postseason and the 10.3 he averaged in his playoff career entering the 2013 postseason.

The significant reduction in looks from the charity stripe could explain why James’ scoring average has dropped to 16.7 PPG in the Finals. That would be the lowest of any individual playoff round in his career if it holds up.
Link

Phil is the best with personalities undoubtedly and getting the best out of great players...But x's and o's and game strategy I take Pop. Why is that so outrageous to you CP? You act like Pop is Don Nelson.

What the hell are you talkin about?

You said Pop made Manu and TP GREAT, then took it back when PMatic pointed out Manu already was. So that leaves Tony, as the only Star Pop ever elevated. The rest are role guys, he raised up.
Same as EVERY name I just gave you on Phil's side. Role guys Phil elevated to their bests.

Ain't nobody reachin, I used your exact logic on the other side.
you called trevor ariza, jordan farmer, and sheshe vujecic great.  if that isnt a reach than i dont know what is.  

used my exact same logic? show me where i called bruce bowen, tiago splitter, and malik rose great.

oh and i forgot to mention artest in my last post.  he was a defensive player of the year before phil.

Last edited:
Eerie ****........

Kobe loses in 6 gms in 08.
Kobe wins title in 5 the next year.
Kobe goes home down 3-2 the following year.

Bron loses in 6 gms in 11.
Bron wins title in 5 the next year.
Bron goes home down 3-2 the following year.

:wow:

I expect a game 7 on Thursday. And it will be historic as hell. :pimp:

Eerie ****........

Kobe loses in 6 gms in 08.
Kobe wins title in 5 the next year.
Kobe goes home down 3-2 the following year.

Bron loses in 6 gms in 11.
Bron wins title in 5 the next year.
Bron goes home down 3-2 the following year.

:wow:

I expect a game 7 on Thursday. And it will be historic as hell. :pimp:
pitchers and a round of shots on me...

Haberstroh:
Best Big Threes in modern history

The 2013 Finals is not just a championship. It's a battle of Big Threes, old and new.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili for the San Antonio Spurs versus LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh for the Miami Heat.

As the star trios have clashed for supremacy for the past five games, we got to thinking:

What's the best Big Three in modern history?

It's a juicy discussion that stretches throughout NBA history and across generations of NBA fans, but there hasn't been a thorough, comprehensive breakdown of the greatest Big Threes in the sport. Back in 2010 when James announced he'd take his talents to South Beach, Per Diem founder John Hollinger tried his hand at the best Big Three seasons.

But we want to go bigger than that.

In this edition, we're not looking for just the best Big Three individual seasons. We want to put all their seasons together and see which trios have produced the most value over time as stars.

To do that, we first need to lay out the ground rules.

The methodology

If you don't want to peak under the hood, feel free to skip down to the rankings. But if you want to know "Why I Hate Your Favorite Team's Trio" then pay attention to the following and learn how the sausage got made.

For this study, I considered every potential star trio in the NBA since 1974. Why 1974? That's the first season that the NBA officially tracked turnovers. Using that as a starting point allows us to measure each player using the same rubric. Turnovers are a pretty big deal.

So, wait. What qualifies as a star trio?

That's a great question with no simple answer. No two people will have the same definition, but we needed a logical framework to systematically tackle this project. Obviously, all three players have to be pretty good. After all, we're looking for a "Big Three," not the "Best Duo With A Scrub Third Wheel."

So how do we distinguish a scrub from a star? First, we'll need a tool to evaluate production. Luckily, we can grab fellow Per Diem maven Kevin Pelton's wins above replacement value metric (WARP), which is a handy all-in-one measure that estimates a player's worth above the guy on the end of the bench (for the nitty-gritty details, check out Pelton's explainer).

To qualify as a star trio in any given season, each of the three players must post at least a 5.0 WARP for that season. A five-win season is a pretty good mark for a player, which is right around what Dirk Nowitzki posted this season (5.6 WARP).

We can point to the 2000 Lakers as 'Exhibit A' for why we need this qualification. No doubt Shaquille O'Neal (25.7 WARP) and Kobe Bryant (11.4 WARP) make the cut as members of a potential Big Three, but Robert Horry was closer to a solid role player than a star worthy of a Big Three moniker. And WARP agrees; Horry posted a 4.9 WARP that season, just shy of the Big Three cut. And honestly, we remember the 2000 Lakers as a historic 1-2 punch, not a Big Three, right?

Furthermore, in order to qualify for Big Three status, a player has to be in the top three on his own team in production. This seems pretty obvious, but it's a critical factor in some recent cases, such as the latest San Antonio Spurs.

We still label the Duncan-Parker-Ginobili trio as a Big Three, but these days that sticky name is mostly rooted in sentimentality, not reality. At this point in Ginobili's career, it's hard to justify that he's the third-best player on the Spurs considering the work that Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green (your new Finals series 3-point record holder) have put in on both ends of the floor. Thus, the Duncan-Ginobili-Parker trio does not qualify the past two seasons.

Once we've isolated the Big Threes for each season since 1974, we sum up all of their qualified campaigns together -- both in the regular season and postseason -- to come up with a cumulative WARP figure. That number will measure each trio's longevity and sustained excellence.

One note about the cumulative WARP: We also wanted to reward trios for their postseason success. So we added a 25-WARP bonus for winning the title as a qualified Big Three and 10-WARP bonus if they lost in the Finals. Historically, Big Threes are somewhat defined by their ring count, but we didn't want it to be the end-all, be-all.

To avoid overvaluing Big Threes that just stayed together for a long time and didn't necessarily hit high levels of production, we also incorporated an average WARP in addition to the cumulative WARP score. We blended the two figures together (a straight 50-50 split) to arrive at a Composite WARP score.

Still with me?

Good. Because the rankings are below.

(No doubt you'll have questions about some missing trios. I'll address at the bottom.)

Onto the list ...

10. Shaquille O'Neal, Penny Hardaway, Nick Anderson | Orlando Magic

Composite WARP: 107.1 | Qualified seasons: 3 (1994-96)

Cumulative WARP: 160.7 | Average WARP: 53.6

Championships as Big Three: 0 | Finals exits as Big Three: 1

Believe it or not, this is Shaq's only appearance in the top 10. Throughout his Laker days, he never really had a consistent third wheel that was good enough to push him and Kobe Bryant into this exclusive club. And in Miami, it was more of the same. Ultimately, Shaq was usually a member of some amazing Big Twos, but not a Big Three.

But Orlando was the lone exception. As three young studs in the league who reached the Finals together, the trio of O'Neal-Hardaway-Anderson was ripe for long-term dominance, but that core was broken up due to Shaq's desire to play under the bright lights of Hollywood.

9. Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy | L.A. Lakers

Composite WARP: 126.5 | Qualified seasons: 3 (1985-87)

Cumulative WARP: 189.7 | Average WARP: 63.2

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits as Big Three: 0

You might have expected this group to rank higher, but the peaks of each individual's career were staggered. At the height of their powers, this Lakers trio could have easily rivaled some of the all-time greats.

But Magic-Kareem-Worthy just barely cracked the top 10 because of Byron Scott's ascension in 1987-88 when he led the Lakers in scoring, which also coincided with Abdul-Jabbar's long-awaited decline from stardom. When the Lakers won the title in 1988 with Pat Riley on the sidelines, the Big Three had already morphed into more of a Big Four.

8. Clyde Drexler, Jerome Kersey, Terry Porter | Portland Trail Blazers

Composite WARP: 135.8 | Qualified seasons: 5 (1987-90, '92)

Cumulative WARP: 226.4 | Average WARP: 48.3

Championships as Big Three: 0 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2

Don't think of this Blazers trio as a Big Three? Think again. Clyde Drexler and two-time All-Star Terry Porter made up one of the best backcourts of the Jordan era and Jerome Kersey was no slouch either. Most youngsters these days remember Kersey as the washed-up vet on the 1999 Spurs championship squad, but Kersey was a big-time rebounder and defender at small forward for the Blazers and helped push them to two Finals appearances.

If the rise of this Blazers' core hadn't run parallel with the Bad Boy Pistons and Jordan's Bulls, we probably would think of them much differently.

7. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh | Miami Heat

Composite WARP: 145.3 | Qualified seasons: 3 (2011-13)

Cumulative WARP: 218.0 | Average WARP: 72.7

Championships as Big Three: 1 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2*

*2012-13 inclusive

We're giving them only the Finals bonus now, but wins in Games 6 and 7 over the Spurs would push the Heatles into the top five. LeBron-Wade-Bosh have been talked about as possibly the best Big Three of all time, but they'll need a few more years (and championships) to enter that conversation.

Right now, they rank second among trios that played just three seasons together (behind No. 5 on this list), but their all-time ranking could hinge on what happens this week. If they rally to win the Finals, they'll be on track to be the best ever. If they lose one of the next two games, it might portend an early breakup. If that's the case, the only superlative that this trio should receive is "most-hyped."

6. Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom | Los Angeles Lakers

Composite WARP: 147.9 | Qualified seasons: 4 (2008-11)

Cumulative WARP: 236.6 | Average WARP: 37.3

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits as Big Three: 1

Most folks would see Andrew Bynum as the third wheel next to Kobe and Gasol, but Bynum's injury troubles early in his career made Odom the more valuable player during the Lakers' championship runs, according to WARP. Odom's recent demise shouldn't cloud what was an incredible run with the Lakers.

People forget that Odom was the starter for the 2008 Finals team and only moved to the bench to let Bynum start thereafter. With Bynum ailing in the 2009 Finals, Odom's double-doubles and floor-spacing were huge against Dwight Howard and the Magic. If Manu Ginobili can be considered a Big Three member while coming off the bench, so should Odom.

5. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc | Chicago Bulls

Composite WARP: 154.1 | Qualified seasons: 3 (1996-98)

Cumulative WARP: 231.2 | Average WARP: 77.1

Championships as Big Three: 3 | Finals exits as Big Three: 0
The second-best Big Three of Jordan's Bulls. No need to rehash how dominant the Jordan-Pippen duo was during their reign, but Kukoc was often Jordan's second fiddle, especially in the 1998 Finals when Pippen dealt with back problems and Kukoc led the Bulls with 30 points in Game 5.

Some might argue that Dennis Rodman deserves the third spot over Kukoc here, but it's hard to capture Rodman's defensive presence in numbers, not to mention he was well past his prime. You could say that the Bulls don't repeat the three-peat in 1996-98 without Rodman, but the same could be true for Kukoc, who was the 1996 Sixth Man of the Year and the team's third-leading scorer during that time. Don't discount "The Waiter."

4. Karl Malone, John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek | Utah Jazz

Composite WARP: 189.2 | Qualified seasons: 6 (1994-99)

Cumulative WARP: 324.4 | Average WARP: 54.1

Championships as Big Three: 0 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2
If this trio played at any point in NBA history other than Michael Jordan's Era, they'd probably be known as the model for Duncan-Parker-Ginobili. But of course, the general public tends to be blinded by the shiny rings that the Jazz trio unfortunately never received. Their cumulative WARP of 324.4 ranked third in modern history.

A former All-Star and one of the premier shooters of his time, Hornacek probably doesn't garner the recognition that he deserves. The guy was a beacon of efficiency and nearly joined the 50-40-90 club in field goal percentage, free throw percentage and 3-point percentage, respectively, during his entire run with the Jazz. Easily the best Big Three to never win the title.

3. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili | San Antonio Spurs

Composite WARP: 193.0 | Qualified seasons: 7 (2004-09, '11)

Cumulative WARP: 337.8 | Average WARP: 48.3

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits Big Three: 0

Though this trio has been together for 11 seasons, they only qualified for seven of those because of Ginobili's slight decline as he entered his mid-thirties. If you're willing to ignore that Ginobili hasn't been on the court very much the past few seasons and may not be one of the best three players on his own team anymore, you could make the argument that they belong at No. 1 on this list.

Still, this is an amazing run for the Spurs triumvirate. Regardless of what happens the next few days, we'll be talking about the Spurs' model for years to come. And it's all because of this trio's unassuming yet unrelenting dominance.

2. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant | Chicago Bulls

Composite WARP: 198.7 | Qualified seasons: 4 (1990-93)

Cumulative WARP score: 318.0 | Average WARP: 79.5

Championships as Big Three: 3 | Finals exits as Big Three: 0

No Big Three has posted a better average WARP than this squad. Though Grant may not have been as productive as Bosh is next to James and Wade, the power forward was certainly worthy of star status and was recognized as such when he was named to the 1994 All-Star squad.

What keeps this trio from nabbing the top spot is that they spent only four seasons together at an elite level before Jordan decided to go to Alabama and play minor league baseball. Had Jordan not gotten the itch to hit the diamond, this may have gone down as the best trio ever. But alas ...

1. Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish | Boston Celtics

Composite WARP: 226.5 | Qualified seasons: 8 (1982-87, 1990-91)

Cumulative WARP: 402.7 | Average WARP: 50.3

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2
What do you get when three Hall of Famers play together for about a decade during their primes? The top spot on this list. Injuries to Larry Bird and Danny Ainge's rise interrupted this Celtics core's run of excellence in the 1980s. But eight seasons of elite Big Three status? No one else can claim that.

While Bird-McHale-Parish might not have touched the towering heights of the Heat or Bulls' trios, no one rivals these three C's in sustained brilliance. And as the league continues to discourage the assembly of superstars on the same team, we may never see anything like this group again.

Any questions?

Wait, where are Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen?

I had the same question when I ran the numbers. But after glancing at their track record, it makes sense why they're not on this list. After 2008, who was the Big Three? Was it Garnett, Pierce and Allen? Or was it Garnett, Pierce and Rajon Rondo? Or was it Pierce, Allen and Rondo when Garnett got hurt? If you have to debate it for several years, then it's probably not a Big Three. It's a Big Four.

Magic Johnson, James Worthy and Michael Cooper have the most postseason wins of any trio in NBA history. What gives?

This is a fact: Johnson, Worthy and Cooper have 110 postseason wins together and only the current Spurs trio of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili (101 wins) can come even close to that staggering figure.

So why don't they get any love on this list? Simply put: Cooper just wasn't good enough offensively.

Not to take anything away from a fine, decorated career in the NBA, but Cooper averaged only double-digit scoring twice in his 12-year career and averaged over 30 minutes only once. He was a mainstay on the All-Defense squads and won the 1986-87 Defensive Player of the Year award, but from an all-around standpoint, Cooper didn't quite measure up; he posted only a five-win season three times in his career, according to WARP, which as a box-score-based metric admittedly might underrate his defensive capabilities.

Still, it probably wouldn't be enough to vault past the other Laker greats on his teams.

Can Miami's current Big Three become the best ever?

Definitely. But they better beat the Spurs first. Not only would a 2013 championship automatically catapult the Heat into the top five, it would all but guarantee that Riley will not break up the core ahead of the new CBA luxury tax guillotine.

What would it take for them to overtake the Celtics' trio? Another two seasons of dominance. At their current pace (let's assume they don't win the 2013 title), the Heat would need another two seasons in order to come close to topping the Celtics' composite WARP score of 226.5, which could possibly occur sometime during the 2014-15 season. They just need 81.2 more points to do so and they've been averaging 72.7 every season together. That is, if they stick together.

But as we've seen with Jordan's Bulls, anything can happen. And that includes the best player in the game leaving in his prime to play another sport. LeBron as an NFL tight end, anyone?

Anyone who's ever spoke with me about the NBA should know where this is comin from. But I'm saying it now, and early

Win or lose tomorrow, the Heat ain't winning anything next year.

I don't mean they won't be great or anything, I don't mean it as a slight. I mean it in terms of practicality.

To witness

LeBron last 3 years, 66 playoff games (with 1 to go)
Minutes those 3 years in playoffs, 922,983, and 915 wtih another 45(?)ish coming. So safe to say 960 or so. Almost 3,000 PLAYOFF minutes the last 3 years.

LeBron has to score, pass, rebound, defend bigs, smalls, set screens, and wil be 29 next playoffs, with a TON of games/intes already on his odometer.

And I haven't even gotten to Wade yet. He's in even worse shape overall than LeBron.

Teams just do not get 4 straight Finals anymore. They flat out run out of gas. It just happens. Wear and tear catches up. While the Heat are going ALL OUT like they did last night for this title, the Bulls been resting for 6 weeks. Pacers have maybe 30 playoff games the last 3 years. Knicks are well rested........ :nerd: .......you get the point.
Miami will get 2.5 months off, then be back in camp for a new season, another 9 months of playing, wear, tear, 80+ games, preseason, travel, and then ask for 2 more months of 20+ hard fought playoff games, against fresher teams? Wade, Bron, Ray, Shane, Haslem, all a year older?

My belief will once again bare out. 4 straight Finals is no longer feasible in the NBA. 3 straight is more than enough to be proud of for the Heat tho. I hated them in 2011, but I am enjoying them in 2013.

So I seen Spolestra start with Haslem, see it not work and bench him.
See Battier struggling last vs Indy, early vs the Spurs, bench him.
Birdman struggles, benches him.
Calls plays out of timeouts that get buckets, easy buckets, like the Wade layin late.

I also saw Pop ride Green hot as can be, and stay riding him dead as a doorknob.
He rode with Spitter for I don't even know what reason.
He benched Duncan and Parker at I don't even know why times then tried to go back to them.
And of course what he did with Manu.
Then I saw him call a play out of a timeout with Parker on the bench and Manu doing I don't even know what.
And last but not least, the Rondo defense on LeBron worked early, but when he got goin, he didn't adjust. He didn't switch to press defense, or doubling (outside of one time they came at him late in the middle)

Spo adjusted on the fly, got players in and out of the game/series when they were not playin well rather than just riding them into the deep like Titanic.

It was a great series, he's a great coach, but his legend just gets bigger and bigger and bigger every year, as he loses each year. Yet another series lost with a lead, they stole game 1 with that miracle shot, damn near got game 6, and collapsed. And yet, people will stay arguing with me and tell me Pop can do no wrong and is infallible, won't even glance at the wins he does have and in the contect they were won. Just, great.

Then those same folks will say Phil is overrated and bounce. :lol:

Anyway, incredible series, great year, I am going to miss the NBA like hell til October. :frown:

Back
Top Bottom