The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

Zoro would get bodied if he was a character in hajime no ippo.

I'm not crazy about the concept of a boxing anime either, but I might give it a shot if this season doesn't end up having many series that interest me.

I'm not crazy about the concept of a boxing anime either, but I might give it a shot if this season doesn't end up having many series that interest me.
Hajime No Ippo is one of the best animes that have graced the stage. 

I implore you to start episode 1 by this friday.

If you're an action fan, you'll REALLY enjoy HNI.

Here's the opening:

Last edited:
Every time Ippo winds up that Dempsey Roll I always get excited. :lol: :pimp:
That and Mamoru's badassery and Aoki's pure foolishness in the ring are always great. :lol:
Aoki's Lookaway>>> Ippo's Dempsey Roll :rofl:

And Takamura vs. Brian hawk is one of the best fights in the series. :pimp:

:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Every time Ippo winds up that Dempsey Roll I always get excited. :lol: :pimp:
That and Mamoru's badassery and Aoki's pure foolishness in the ring are always great. :lol:
Aoki's Lookaway>>> Ippo's Dempsey Roll :rofl:

And Takamura vs. Brian hawk is one of the best fights in the series. :pimp:

:rofl: :rofl:

The bowling episode might be the funniest ive ever seen

Last edited:

ive thought that way about sports in general like basketball. i can be surprised tho, i remember a couple years ago, there was a one shot anime about a group of kids with a little league baseball backdrop. it was cool actually. it was called one shot bench by naruto's kishimoto. wasn't bad at all. nothing crazy tho.

apparently anime/manga works with motorsports since initial D has a solid following.

quick question on the Dragon Ball GT series, if Trunks is already grown up (at the same age as when he went back in time to defeat android 17 and 18) then how come he doesn't just use time travel to correct his mistakes or defeat villains before they become more powerful? 

For some reason I like sports anime/manga. Hajime no Ippo is really good. My only big problem with it is that his character development outside of boxing is painfully slow especially since we're over 1000 chapters. 

I like Initial D, but reading it isn't as good because chapters are like 9 pages and it's hard to get a good visual of what's being described or happening. 

Cross Game and Touch are good baseball animes. Both were written by Mitsuru Adachi. The baseball in those is more realistic, but you also have to like slice of life series to like those two. 

I've seen Major. The baseball scenes are good, but it's much more 1 dimensional than most other Sports anime. 

I'm about to start watching Ace of the Diamond. I think it came out last season.

I think sports can easily be grafted onto the shonen template: the desire to be the best of the best, numerous training montages, built-in rivals, powerful & secret techniques that make spectators 'ooh & aah', etc. There's just less magic/superpowers involved.

Last edited:

I think sports can easily be grafted onto the shonen template: the desire to be the best of the best, numerous training montages, built-in rivals, powerful & secret techniques that make spectators 'ooh & aah', etc. There's just less magic/superpowers involved.
That's true.

I liked that Cross Game and Touch didn't have those things really. It was more based on normal high school life that included baseball.

Hajime no Ippo and Major fit well into the Shounen template. Especially their main characters. Major has a super confident one who's loud. HNI has a timid one who finds one thing to excel in, but needs to develop socially. 

Slam Dunk, Ippo, Kinnikuman and Eyeshield 21 are some of my favorites. If Initial D can be grouped as a soprt anime/manga, then add it up on my list. Captain Tsubasa was okay, wasn't just able to follow through all of the seasons. Dear Boys was okay, animation kinda sucked though.

Anyone familiar with the anime Go-Q-Choji Ikkiman (Battle Ball)?

Also, Crunchyroll acquired Chuunibyou season 2, Pupa, Nisekoi, and Sakura Trick.

Absolutely KILLED it two seasons in a row.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom