*****The Official "Anything About Money" Thread***

KennYc1116:

As far as the Blacstone IPO goes, you won't be able to get in at the IPO price anyway. Unless you are an institutional investor or large client with a prime brokerage, you won't be able to get in. And every company's goal is to raise funds for current and future investors returns (whether capital appreciation or dividend returns) so I woulnd't be too conscerned about that.

bohrdom:

Bloomberg only leases their terminals, you cannot buy them... very pricey...I mean extremely pricey...
Dog my projects got taste, although the rent aint nuttin but two fitty,
we sportin five thousand dollar drapes
No matter where he is next year, Amare Stoudemire is guaranteed to make the All-Interview team. When asked about his jumper after the Micky D's game, he responded: "My jumper has improved since the summer, bro, but I haven't even worked on my jumper."

For fidelity you need to have 400K in that account for initial IPO purchases

Also, you might be able to get in it if you got good relations with your broker but if you hold it for less than 3-6 months he wont give you another shot at an IPO.
I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid.
Want a guaranteed 20% on your money? PM me -1k minimum-
Money is like a second language to me​

Whats the deal with roth ira's? I have a retirement plan with the navy but I am looking to get out. They keep telling me I can roll that money into an IRA. What't the best IRA and what should I be looking for? Thanks
TeamLakers
Jim Buss Is The DEVIL! Please Wake up Mr. West....​

Regular IRA:

Tax defered, meaning anything you do in your IRA pre-retirement/forced distribution is not taxed until you get that money out. The hope is that you will be in a lower tax bracket when you are retired and will pay less in taxes. Also, the hope is that the pre-tax dollars being invested and recieving compounded returns will greatly improve your return than having a smaller amount of money initially invested after taxes.

Roth IRA:

Taxes are taken out when you put the money in the IRA, when you get distributions in the future, you will not have any tax taken out.
No matter where he is next year, Amare Stoudemire is guaranteed to make the All-Interview team. When asked about his jumper after the Micky D's game, he responded: "My jumper has improved since the summer, bro, but I haven't even worked on my jumper."

No problem... here for anything else... just post it...

I just got off a flight a bit ago so im about to pass out. Im gonna read through this thread tomorrow. Good to see a thread like this, im always posting in the weekly NT investing posts.

Ive made over 30% in the market in the last year. Hard to say exactly cuz i was always dumpin my paychecks into my scottrade account last summer. Anyway my stock of 2006 was MA Mastercard. I sold most of my shares at 97 after getting in at 47. The reason my return isnt even bigger is cuz i was a noob in the game and bought a penny stock (and I managed to lose money on apple stock over the last year. don't ask). DO NOT BUY PENNY STOCKS. Mine is down 98%. I think the symbol is GSCT (used to be VRDM). Im not kidding. Good thing I only put half of what I put into Mastercard in that thing and I was diversified.

I like Motley Fool Caps site for stock tips.

I just started a finance blog at valueplusgrowth.blogspot.com/
TEAM FINANCE​
No one ever got rich working​

Mastercard is showing no signs of dropping ever since they went public last year.

Visa is supposedly going public as well, I might look into that.

TEAMYANKEES

DRich, I have my roth at Scottrade. NO FEES. Its great, cuz if you go with some company that only charges u 50 a year lets say...well if u only put in a 1000 bucks your first year then u have to make 5% on your investment just to break even. Not my kind of deal. I recommend scottrade, u cant get any advice from them but they keep ur account maintained if u have a problem.

Regarding Visa,
I will probably stay away from that. Its one of those things that once everyone knows about it, it won't be good anymore. Not too many people knew about MA Ipo and it came during a bad ipo market, therefore it was priced cheap. Look for Visa to be very highly priced at its ipo. I would be suprised if the stock went up more than 30% (high side of my estimate) in its first year. Not to say it won't be a good long term holding.
TEAM FINANCE​

bohrdom

Quote:
foreplay: what's your average day like? also, when you first got in, i assume they train people. what does that training entail exactly?
ed training us even before we got there. Depending on where you'll be working, you have to take 8 assessment tests mine were finance and accounting. I didn't major in business so I failed all those miserably. They developed an online lesson plan based on the questions we missed. You complete that the summer before you go up to NY and take another test in person there that you have to pass this time.

For the people that don't have business degrees the training is a ... but its whatever I'm not complaining, I got in. First two weeks is all training in Finance and Accounting and things pertinent to the division you'll be working in. It's like school all over again but more accelerated. After that you have classes that you attend every week while working. It's more enjoyable than school because I leave the seminars or whatever you want to call them to go on the job and apply what I've learned. Some are optional and some are mandatory, but you never stop learning. Even the VP, Managing Directors, and Partners have seminars/classes they have to attend. Even after my first year I still ask 2342532 questions a day, and work weeks are crazy 65+ hours always. You want to stop and slowdown but it's like everyone is doing it and you'll be the one that stands out if you do.

As an analyst you do most of the legwork for the upper guys as far as organization of information goes. Get nice at excel while you can 'cause that and powerpoint will be your bestfriends. It's all about grinding and putting in more hours than the next firm and the next individual. You have a lot of team meetings where you brief each other on where you're at on a certain project, and go over goals and deadlines.

They take care of you though, if you work 'til the night you get a nice amount of money for food. Then after a certain time you get a free ride in a lincoln towncar home from work. So it's not all bad, they give incentives to work late. Oh and the performance bonuses are beasts...

For everyone who had done the cashcrate thing everytime you do a survey does that company send you a bunch of crap in the mail?
TENNESSEE SUMMIT
JUNE 16

Thanks big rob for explanation. Which IRA do you think is better?
TeamLakers
Jim Buss Is The DEVIL! Please Wake up Mr. West....​

Quote:
If you get into a good B-school and major in finance you can get a job at an investment bank making 100k your first year there and a few million 5-7 years in. That is of course at a huge Ibank like Morgan Stanley
:wow:
eek.gif

Martin & Co, how long it takes for the 20% to get back to me ?

Quote:
I work as a mover and im mostly in there buildings here in NYC. Dam them dudes be caking like that :wow:
eek.gif

I'm not sure if you mean their personal residences or where they work but regardless, yes you can make insane money. One of my boys who just got a job at GS has an uncle working there as a trader and he brings home 300K base + he made a $12 Million bonus last year.

Base salaries there are ALWAYS small but even what you would consider "petty" jobs at those companies that only make like 60-70K a year there get 6 figure bonuses.

Hit me PM to talk about the 20points
I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid.
Want a guaranteed 20% on your money? PM me -1k minimum-
Money is like a second language to me​

What's up with those ETF's? I was lookin to open a account at ShareBuilder.com (Anyone have any better sites/banks for ETF's?) and start out with $500-$1000. What are the pros and cons? I'm lookin to invest pretty aggressively right now, are there better options for me to put my money into?
"I got more kicks than a baby in a mothers stomach"

Yeah they get paid, this dude last year that they call the "Grand Wizard" PhD in Economics from the University of Chicago walked away with a $48 Million bonus. Your first year there you'll be like @#%$ at your salary but when the bonus comes in you'll understand. A bunch of people on the floor I work on actually use Robb Report magazines to shop.

I was at an ATM machine a couple of weeks ago on Wall Street and the dude ahead of me left his receipt when I went to get my transaction receipt I turned his over and it said $293,701.11, that number has been ingrained in my head since. It's like who keeps that amount in a low interest account. Also doesn't FDIC only cover $100,000? I guess he had his paper up like that to be keeping that much in his checking account.

thats jus insane... ok people in the know, what do u think of Jim Cramer, Mad Money, and Thestreet.com??? this guy is giving "sure things" and what not should i trust his research? my own? or a combination of both? my thing is... if hes callin it, enough people watch the show that shouldnt that drive the price up? doesnt seem smart to jus fall in line and follow what he says...

Quote:
if hes callin it, enough people watch the show that shouldnt that drive the price up? doesnt seem smart to jus fall in line and follow what he says...
TEAM FINANCE​

Back
Top Bottom