The Official College Thread Vol. Best College Thread Ever!!!!!

I got his last year from the other college thread.

College List

Spoiler [+]
Okay. Here is my Master List for College. Please leave comments if you want to see things added, like explanations or whatever.

So a bunch of you are now going off to college in the fall. What will you pack? How will you survive your first semester? The following is general stuff that I hope you will find helpful. There are two sections: What to Bring and College Advice.

What to Bring

(In this section: Clothing, For the Bathroom//Hygiene, Cleaning Supplies, Electronics, For Your Desk//School Supplies, Storage, First Aid Kit, Toolbox, Food Items and Such, Craft Items, Miscellaneous, Items to Pick up in the Campus Vicinity, Items NOT to Bring)

Clothing
We’re all from New England, we all know how to deal with the weather (for those of you who don’t: layer). However, there are some clothing issues you might not be aware of:

1. Underwear. Bring enough to last you for at least two weeks.
2. Ditto with socks; if you’re going to a cold climate, bring a few pairs of wool socks.
3. Slippers, even if you don’t wear them at home, are really nice to have at college.
4. Umbrella.
5. Bathrobe, for those 4am fire alarms. (Note, though, that actually getting dressed is a better idea, and that the bathrobe serves other purposes.)
6. Long-sleeved t-shirts are great and useful in layering.
7. Clothes to work out in, because you might go to the gym.
8. Figure out what you need to bring clothes-wise, for pants, shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, bras, button-down shirts, ties, belts, shoes (snow boots, hiking boots, sneakers, nice shoes, rain boots, etc.), purses, blazers/sports jackets, shirts to wear to parties, coats and jackets, mittens, scarves, hats, etc.
9. Hangers.
10. Laundry detergent, dryer sheets. (Tip: wash your items on a regular basis. Follow the care instructions. And it’s okay to change your bedding, too! It feels really nice.) Also recommended is two rolls of quarters, in case the card machine in the laundry room gets busted before you go home. Of course, this all depends on how laundry at your school works. You should find out before you arrive on campus.
11. Have at least one nice thing to wear. “You never know if you’re going to end up at a little semi or a Greek event.

Originally Posted by Hop

How many of you guys stayed on campus?
nerd.gif

Any tips on dealing with crap roommates, meals, etc...?

- BE ASSERTIVE!!! Don't be nervous to communicate with your roommate when it comes to overstepping boundaries, talk to them from the jump, let em' know whats alright, whats not, and etc. And if you guys still have problems, then speak to your local RA, don't worry about all that "snitching" stuff, keep the street $%^& in the streets.

I finished my first year, second one in 2 weeks
happy.gif
, can't wait! I made a post like this last year, so I hope/assure you what I'm telling you will help!

- Get your work done, in College, academically speaking, it feels like there is no love for the "average", so do the very best you can. It's not like in HS where your in class all day, and hw all night. You have so much more time to do what you have to, so make good use of it.

- Make friends. There's no reason to be a introvert, the hall probably throws events to get people to chill with one another, so go to them. Talk with people in your class, make a little joke with the person next to you in your class. Be a chill guy, but also try not to be a guy who wants to be everybody's friend, you'll learn that will get old and annoying real quick.

- Going out/drinking/smoking - All under your discretion. But remember this: You have to know when is too much. There ain't no soundtrack in life when your making a potentially detrimental decision, no solemn music in the background
laugh.gif

and at the end of the day.....(If you read anything, read this, it's short.)
Spoiler [+]
What's equally important in college as doing well to shape your future, is also finding yourself. Seriously. Too many people in college are just plagued by the monotonous lifestyle it carries, you may feel lost sometimes when people are just doing the same things, but never follow anybodies footsteps. You are there for you, the "life" will always be there, and there ain't no problem with being in it at times, but what's better? Bud lite drinking undergrad? Or a bottle popping successful made man?

All the best of luck to you, and all others starting off this year.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Hop

How many of you guys stayed on campus?
nerd.gif

Any tips on dealing with crap roommates, meals, etc...?

- BE ASSERTIVE!!! Don't be nervous to communicate with your roommate when it comes to overstepping boundaries, talk to them from the jump, let em' know whats alright, whats not, and etc. And if you guys still have problems, then speak to your local RA, don't worry about all that "snitching" stuff, keep the street $%^& in the streets.

I finished my first year, second one in 2 weeks
happy.gif
, can't wait! I made a post like this last year, so I hope/assure you what I'm telling you will help!

- Get your work done, in College, academically speaking, it feels like there is no love for the "average", so do the very best you can. It's not like in HS where your in class all day, and hw all night. You have so much more time to do what you have to, so make good use of it.

- Make friends. There's no reason to be a introvert, the hall probably throws events to get people to chill with one another, so go to them. Talk with people in your class, make a little joke with the person next to you in your class. Be a chill guy, but also try not to be a guy who wants to be everybody's friend, you'll learn that will get old and annoying real quick.

- Going out/drinking/smoking - All under your discretion. But remember this: You have to know when is too much. There ain't no soundtrack in life when your making a potentially detrimental decision, no solemn music in the background
laugh.gif

and at the end of the day.....(If you read anything, read this, it's short.)
Spoiler [+]
What's equally important in college as doing well to shape your future, is also finding yourself. Seriously. Too many people in college are just plagued by the monotonous lifestyle it carries, you may feel lost sometimes when people are just doing the same things, but never follow anybodies footsteps. You are there for you, the "life" will always be there, and there ain't no problem with being in it at times, but what's better? Bud lite drinking undergrad? Or a bottle popping successful made man?

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

Graduated 3 weeks ago with a BS in Accounting. My advice for those entering college:

- Live in the dorms your freshman year, maybe even sophomore year, depending on how your school is. Junior/Senior year get an apartment, either on campus or as close to campus as possible. University housing is expensive anywhere, but depending on where your school is located, getting an apartment near campus may make the most financial sense. Chances are you'll only be paying 300-600 a month for rent if you have roommates, as opposed to a whole lot more living on campus. Plus the freedom you have living off campus is unlike anything you've ever experienced before, lving with no rules and basically having to answer to no one. Stay on top of your #$@% tho.

-The number one thing that I wish someone told me before I got to college: NEVER STUDY HARD, STUDY SMART. Use every single resource available to you in order to get ahead of the game. Find people in your major who may have taken the class a semester before and get whatever materials they can give you (old tests, study guides, test banks etc.) My philosophy (after having realized this) is that if the professor is stupid enough to give the exact same midterm every semester, or take his exam questions verbatim from the textbook test bank, its my duty to take full advantage of his/her laziness. Figure out the professor's exam style from the moment you get that syllabus. Test banks are important especially in my major (accounting/finance) because chances are your professor will find his exam questions in the textbook test bank. For a few of my hardest accounting classes (advanced accounting, cost accounting, auditing) I didnt even bother buying the textbook, just bought the test bank online and went in on that. I mean, where else do exam questions come from? In essence, your GPA is not indicative of your knowledge of the class or the material, but is indicative of your ability to get your #$@% together. When you apply to grad school, no school is gonna say, "oh, he got a C in that class, but I'm sure he tried hard and took each test honestly." *+$% that #$@%. The only thing that matters is the grade, which is why you must take every possible advantage you can.
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF  AN ONLINE FORUM  COMMUNITY SIMILAR WHERE STUDENTS AT SCHOOLS SHARE NOTES, CHEAT SHEETS, TEST ANSWERS ETC. FOR THE CLASSES THEY HAVE TAKEN . THAT IS A GENIUS IDEA THAT NEEDS TO BE EXPLOITED. 

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

Graduated 3 weeks ago with a BS in Accounting. My advice for those entering college:

- Live in the dorms your freshman year, maybe even sophomore year, depending on how your school is. Junior/Senior year get an apartment, either on campus or as close to campus as possible. University housing is expensive anywhere, but depending on where your school is located, getting an apartment near campus may make the most financial sense. Chances are you'll only be paying 300-600 a month for rent if you have roommates, as opposed to a whole lot more living on campus. Plus the freedom you have living off campus is unlike anything you've ever experienced before, lving with no rules and basically having to answer to no one. Stay on top of your #$@% tho.

-The number one thing that I wish someone told me before I got to college: NEVER STUDY HARD, STUDY SMART. Use every single resource available to you in order to get ahead of the game. Find people in your major who may have taken the class a semester before and get whatever materials they can give you (old tests, study guides, test banks etc.) My philosophy (after having realized this) is that if the professor is stupid enough to give the exact same midterm every semester, or take his exam questions verbatim from the textbook test bank, its my duty to take full advantage of his/her laziness. Figure out the professor's exam style from the moment you get that syllabus. Test banks are important especially in my major (accounting/finance) because chances are your professor will find his exam questions in the textbook test bank. For a few of my hardest accounting classes (advanced accounting, cost accounting, auditing) I didnt even bother buying the textbook, just bought the test bank online and went in on that. I mean, where else do exam questions come from? In essence, your GPA is not indicative of your knowledge of the class or the material, but is indicative of your ability to get your #$@% together. When you apply to grad school, no school is gonna say, "oh, he got a C in that class, but I'm sure he tried hard and took each test honestly." *+$% that #$@%. The only thing that matters is the grade, which is why you must take every possible advantage you can.
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF  AN ONLINE FORUM  COMMUNITY SIMILAR WHERE STUDENTS AT SCHOOLS SHARE NOTES, CHEAT SHEETS, TEST ANSWERS ETC. FOR THE CLASSES THEY HAVE TAKEN . THAT IS A GENIUS IDEA THAT NEEDS TO BE EXPLOITED. 

School is here.
First day of classes.
All the freshman girls.
All the girls.
haha
all the people.
New classes.
Getting money back from the school.
Feels good.
pimp.gif

School is here.
First day of classes.
All the freshman girls.
All the girls.
haha
all the people.
New classes.
Getting money back from the school.
Feels good.
pimp.gif

yo NT'ers where do you guys shop for books online? is there any good sites for used books or new books at a great discount?

i found this site called valorebooks.com and they have this book i need that retails for $70 marked down to $5 shipped used... but dont know if the site is legit....

??????

yo NT'ers where do you guys shop for books online? is there any good sites for used books or new books at a great discount?

i found this site called valorebooks.com and they have this book i need that retails for $70 marked down to $5 shipped used... but dont know if the site is legit....

??????

Half.com
Amazon.com
Craigslist.com

thats all i use

or friends that i can borrow book from.

Half.com
Amazon.com
Craigslist.com

thats all i use

or friends that i can borrow book from.

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

Spoiler [+]

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
taking this advice to heart my freshman year. appreciated nt fam

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

Spoiler [+]

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
taking this advice to heart my freshman year. appreciated nt fam

All the incoming Freshman enjoy. It's gonna be the time of your life.
pimp.gif

Going into my Junior year. This Hurricane is messing everything up though. Freshman were supposed to move in tomorrow and Sophomores Sunday with classes not starting until Wednesday. Now Freshman move in Monday and sophomore's Tuesday. There goes the Opening party weekend. Feelsbadman.

WHERE ARE MY TOWSON TIGERS? I know we gotta have some.
laugh.gif

All the incoming Freshman enjoy. It's gonna be the time of your life.
pimp.gif

Going into my Junior year. This Hurricane is messing everything up though. Freshman were supposed to move in tomorrow and Sophomores Sunday with classes not starting until Wednesday. Now Freshman move in Monday and sophomore's Tuesday. There goes the Opening party weekend. Feelsbadman.

WHERE ARE MY TOWSON TIGERS? I know we gotta have some.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom