THE OFFICIAL INVESTORS THREAD vol. Securities, Real Estate, Franchises

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

Originally Posted by finnns2003

It's evident by your avy that you are biased but yes that was one of the reasons and i'm sure they realize much more than you do as this is their profession.

There is a liquidation already in progress as his estate needs to be settled, once the family sells what they want/need to you will see the price drop like a rock.

Elliot wave technicians seem to think we are at the peak of a very long uptrend, which means a comparable downtrend should develop soon.

Like I said, this is simply what was passed on to me.  Differing opinions is what makes a market of course.  I'm not invested either way
You failed to address how people have been predicting an end to their run for years.

So the liquidation of his estate will bring the stock down all on its own?

I can't speak to what a collective of individuals have been saying for years, I was not aware of that fact.  Generally, you could pick any stock and find more than a few people
predicting it's end.

I listed 3 reasons for you, none of which are my own research so take it fwiw.  My opinion is that the entire market is headed for a steep correction. 
I believe we haven't seen the worst just yet.   It took nearly 20 years for the world to completely move past the great depression.

You keep waiting for that correction while I keep blowing away the indexes. Like in football, take what the defense gives you. The naysayers have been persistent since the turnaround in March 2009. I hope they're enjoying their losses.

For anyone who can take on some risk investing, they should look into options. Picked up 10 570 PCLN @ 1.2 today. Turned 1k into almost 10k in about 3 hours. Have the whole week left before they expire and earnings to drive the price northward of 580+. They are a lot riskier than stocks though so paper trade first if you are inexperienced. 

I just came in here to say that I'm sick that I didn't get in when APPL dipped to below $200 a share... Not sure exactly when this was but I think it was when Steve Jobs had stepped down as CEO due to illness. Now that !$** is above $500 for the first time.

I SUCK AT LIFE.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 430AM

I just came in here to say that I'm sick that I didn't get in when APPL dipped to below $200 a share... Not sure exactly when this was but I think it was when Steve Jobs had stepped down as CEO due to illness. Now that !$** is above $500 for the first time.

I SUCK AT LIFE.
laugh.gif
How about $45 a share in 05? If you put $100k into AAPL, you'd be in the 7 figures today. Kicking myself over not doing that.
indifferent.gif

For anyone like me that does not have enough money to invest in AAPL directly and just leave it there to grow, like I said before, check out options. Anyone who picked up AAPL 500 before earnings is sitting around 5-8x return depending on when they got out of it. I picked up 3 contracts at 50 dollars each and sold it at 550 each a little less than a month later.

I'm interested in diversifying my portfolio and possibly entering into a few fixed income / Bond - something with a decent return and a decent rating - An anchor to an equity based portfolio

Unfortunately I have absolutely NO idea how to invest in Bonds and have very little to no experience. Understanding of Terminology is at a minimum and honestly the method purchasing (minimum amount? Coupon rate? Secondary Market? Face Value?)

Is there any resources that can help me start from scratch? I use Fidelity btw.

Originally Posted by bkzkurse

I'm interested in diversifying my portfolio and possibly entering into a few fixed income / Bond - something with a decent return and a decent rating - An anchor to an equity based portfolio

Unfortunately I have absolutely NO idea how to invest in Bonds and have very little to no experience. Understanding of Terminology is at a minimum and honestly the method purchasing (minimum amount? Coupon rate? Secondary Market? Face Value?)

Is there any resources that can help me start from scratch? I use Fidelity btw.
How old are you?
AAPL $500  
pimp.gif

Feels good to sit at work at watch my portfolio grow exponentially.

I have about 5-6 Gs to put into stocks...just registered on TradeKing, any tips? Looks like AAPL is still trending strong. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

I have about 5-6 Gs to put into stocks...just registered on TradeKing, any tips? Looks like AAPL is still trending strong. What do you guys think?
Are you looking at short term or long term?
Long term I would throw all of it in AAPL. 

I don't really trade short term.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Are you looking at short term or long term?
Long term I would throw all of it in AAPL. 

I don't really trade short term.
Just imagine when they start releasing things like the iPad 3 and Apple TV set, plus adding in China's sales numbers, my goodness this thing may be looking at $700.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

You failed to address how people have been predicting an end to their run for years.

So the liquidation of his estate will bring the stock down all on its own?

I can't speak to what a collective of individuals have been saying for years, I was not aware of that fact.  Generally, you could pick any stock and find more than a few people
predicting it's end.

I listed 3 reasons for you, none of which are my own research so take it fwiw.  My opinion is that the entire market is headed for a steep correction. 
I believe we haven't seen the worst just yet.   It took nearly 20 years for the world to completely move past the great depression.

You keep waiting for that correction while I keep blowing away the indexes. Like in football, take what the defense gives you. The naysayers have been persistent since the turnaround in March 2009. I hope they're enjoying their losses.

Fair enough.  I'm thinking more long term but I think it is fair to say the economic model is unsustainable.  I'm not short
so I'm not seeing any losses but plenty are.  Differing opinions is what makes a market as the saying goes.  What is
your strategy if you don't mind me asking?

@freaky - I've been short on and off FSLR, so I've done some research on solar. Just hate the sector.

Currently undervalued stocks I like: PSS, F, RICK, GM

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

@freaky - I've been short on and off FSLR, so I've done some research on solar. Just hate the sector.

Currently undervalued stocks I like: PSS, F, RICK, GM
gm is overvalued and im staying away from that stock. the channel stuffing is insane!

A lot of good info in here, I'm def gonna look into investing. Need to pick up some of these books that were mentioned, I'm a complete novice btw, which books would you guys recommend?

I bought some Jan 18 2013 RIMM calls with strikes at $15. My plan is to let the stock go up a bit and then average into a straddle position by buying a put with same strike or lower.

My thinking is that RIMM has shed 75% of its market value and is ridiculously undervalued on many traditional metrics plus they still have good cashflow and should still be able to make money the next year or so in worst case scenario. Of course, they could be totally left behind by Apple, Samsung and other companies but they also have many valuable patents that could make them a potential takeover candidate.

Long story short, I have an upside bias for RIMM but would initiate a long straddle position (bet on volatility) as I can't see the price being at this level within the next year.

predicting it's end.

Fair enough.  I'm thinking more long term but I think it is fair to say the economic model is unsustainable.  I'm not short
so I'm not seeing any losses but plenty are.  Differing opinions is what makes a market as the saying goes.  What is
your strategy if you don't mind me asking?
I invest in companies that I am a consumer of or at least understand their business model well. I like to see low P/E, low PEG, and minimal debt. I like playing small caps. They're riskier but the upside is huge if you play it right. 
Obviously exceptions are made, but that's my general strategy. 

What small caps are you eying?

Good to see Nvidia selling off some today after yesterday's volatile session. Still a lil mad I didn't grab a chunk at 15.05 for a quick day trade, but the stock could very well retest that level so I'm watching it for now.

Back
Top Bottom