The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

i currently do not have enough money to upgrade to a brand new macbook and my current white unibody macbook from 2008 feels like it's getting super outdated. if i wanted it to perform better (open apps faster, run multiple apps at once smoothly, etc) what exactly do i need to upgrade the processor or the RAM? i currently have a 2 ghz processor and 1 GB of DDR2 SDRAM whatever that means. can anyone give me any ideas or recommendations? thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by C o IVI p L e X

i currently do not have enough money to upgrade to a brand new macbook and my current white unibody macbook from 2008 feels like it's getting super outdated. if i wanted it to perform better (open apps faster, run multiple apps at once smoothly, etc) what exactly do i need to upgrade the processor or the RAM? i currently have a 2 ghz processor and 1 GB of DDR2 SDRAM whatever that means. can anyone give me any ideas or recommendations? thanks in advance!
Upgrade your gram to 4GB.
You can then re-install Snow Leopard or Lion or whatever OS you have. I like to re-install the OS once a year to keep things fast and snappy.  

Hey guys, I was wondering where can I find the best and cheapest/reasonable external hard drive?

I just got my new Macbook Air and I am trying to keep as much minimal information on it as possible

Yo!! my boy told he can get a 15 inch macbook pro that goes for 1800, for $900!!! (street deal from his boy)
I'm super broke right now with school and all. I'm so needed for a upgrade i have the 1st gen aluminum unibody from 2008 and I'm due for an upgrade. I'm super tight i don't have the funds for it. I need a new job lmao.

13" Air should be coming in in a couple days
smile.gif

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

You can then re-install Snow Leopard or Lion or whatever OS you have. I like to re-install the OS once a year to keep things fast and snappy.  
DDR2 or you think it would be worth paying the extra for DDR3?

lately my battery has been draining like super fast after its done charging...like after an hour or 2....I checked the life and it says its good

what can I do.

Originally Posted by LeClutchJames

lately my battery has been draining like super fast after its done charging...like after an hour or 2....I checked the life and it says its good

what can I do.

what's its health? how many cycles?

turn down your screen, turn off keyboard backlighting, end heavy processes when you're not using them

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

DDR2 or you think it would be worth paying the extra for DDR3?

The 2008 white macbooks are only compatible with DDR2 if I'm not mistaken.

Can I see what you guys got for protecting your MacBooks i.e. screen protectors, cases, sleeves, etc. ?

So far I bought the iPearl Hardcover for $19.99 off Amazon.

Should I get silicone cover for the keyboard? I thought about it but I heard that it uses the keyboard to release heat and stuff so I wasn't sure.

Any info / pics appreciated.

JW, is there a way to turn off the auto dim? or should i just keep that on? once i step into light it gets brighter and when I'm in a dim room it dims..please help. thanks

Hey guys,
So I'm about to grab an old body Macbook Pro on craigslist and wanted to see if you guys had any clue if this is legit http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/2590971612.html

I talked to the guy on the phone and he said I can come in and test it if I want, apparently he's one of those middle eastern dudes that own an electronics shop in sf for those of you that are familiar with those in the bay, right at Geary and Market.

Is it bad for my computer to keep on SMC fan control for long periods of time?

Ever since i installed Lion its been a litter bit warmer, so i usually have it at 4000 RPM up from the system default 2000

i have it at 6200 which is the max when im running skype photoshop and other resource heavy apps

I'm currently running Snow Leopard, and I had a few questions for those running Lion:

1. Is it worth it to upgrade?
  2. How long does the process take?
  3. What are your favorite improvements and additions with the new OS?
  4. What are your least favorite things about the OS?
  5. Are there any bugs that haven't been addressed yet?
  6. Can I get a student discount for Lion?
Thanks
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

so when should we expect details of the 2012 mbp?

It’s entirely unclear what a new MacBook Pro would look like and what changes Apple would make to the design, if any. There’s certainly room for Apple to make the MacBook Pro thinner and lighter than the current version, or to move away from optical drives, or to ditch hard drives for the SSDs that Apple’s been installing in the MacBook Air. Regardless, if the current refresh schedule holds, we won’t hear anything from Apple until early 2012.

http://www.geek.com/artic...-case-redesign-20110426/

does anybody have a good app on the mac to keep track of sports and scores and schedules?

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Yo!! my boy told he can get a 15 inch macbook pro that goes for 1800, for $900!!! (street deal from his boy)
I'm super broke right now with school and all. I'm so needed for a upgrade i have the 1st gen aluminum unibody from 2008 and I'm due for an upgrade. I'm super tight i don't have the funds for it. I need a new job lmao.
I got the mid-2009 and it's running fine with some minor problems. It's my workhorse too, what do you use it for anyway?

got my newst version 13 in mba from amazon for 919$ coming in tmw
happy.gif
finally converting to apple. still plan on using my pc desktop as my main tho

Originally Posted by salbah3

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

I got the mid-2009 and it's running fine with some minor problems. It's my workhorse too, what do you use it for anyway?

Video editing
Web editing
multiple apps running

I'm about to bump the ram from 4gb to 8gb soon and get a hybrid ssd. It should bring some good performance. i'll copp a new macbook pro when the time is right, or a redesign.

Back
Top Bottom