The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

I got my 2011 macbook pro 15" about a week or 2 after they dropped in march 2011. had my first charger replaced nov/dec 2011 (i have apple care). i thought it would be an easy swap since i had apple care but guy tried telling me the cables aren't supposed to fray (complete bs all apple cables are trash) and that he was doing me a favor by giving me a new charger :stoneface: whatever, i get out of there with my new charger, fast forward now, i need a new charger as this one has completely stopped working

i don't even think they will replace this one since it literaly looks abused :stoneface:

xqgndt.jpg

on another note, this is far more concerning to me... the charging port on my mbp appears to be a bit melted???
is this normal?

110ztjo.jpg

Last edited:
No chance that gets replace unless you get a really nice genius. AppleCare covers manufacturer defects, not physical damage. While all apple cable fray, frayings not covered because its technically considered abuse.

But yea, your MagSafe on the computer is a way bigger concern. If that's fried you're looking at a new logic board

Last edited:
No chance that gets replace unless you get a really nice genius. AppleCare covers manufacturer defects, not physical damage. While all apple cable fray, frayings not covered because its technically considered abuse.

But yea, your MagSafe on the computer is a way bigger concern. If that's fried you're looking at a new logic board

damn, well it still charges fine, I still need to get it checked out very soon though.

So for the past 2 days my browsing has been super slow, to the point where I can't even stream.

During this same time period, I've had this issue where my mac completely freezes, followed by a message prompting me to restart my system; this is what it looks like:

The super slow browsing was proceeded by the first freeze I had, so I'm confident they are related somehow. Anyway, does anyone recognize the issue here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Very please I got AppleCare three years ago

have had just about $1,200 in repairs

great feeling to see the receipt say balance $0.00

So for the past 2 days my browsing has been super slow, to the point where I can't even stream.

During this same time period, I've had this issue where my mac completely freezes, followed by a message prompting me to restart my system; this is what it looks like:

The super slow browsing was proceeded by the first freeze I had, so I'm confident they are related somehow. Anyway, does anyone recognize the issue here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That's a kernel panic, generally means something's wrong with your hardware. Open up activity monitor and see what your CPU usage is looking like as well as your RAM. When I had issues with that it was because my RAM was bad. I'd bring it in to a Genius Bar so they can run diagnostics on it.

my macbook is beachballing like crazy. it's the late 2009 white macbook running mountain lion. i thought the hard drive was failing but i just checked in disk utilities and it's all good it says. i repaired the permissions while i was at it. that didn't help. any ideas?

I got my 2011 macbook pro 15" about a week or 2 after they dropped in march 2011. had my first charger replaced nov/dec 2011 (i have apple care). i thought it would be an easy swap since i had apple care but guy tried telling me the cables aren't supposed to fray (complete bs all apple cables are trash) and that he was doing me a favor by giving me a new charger :stoneface: whatever, i get out of there with my new charger, fast forward now, i need a new charger as this one has completely stopped working

i don't even think they will replace this one since it literaly looks abused :stoneface:

xqgndt.jpg

mine isn't this bad, but there is plenty of tapae holding it together, luckily it works. I doubt they'll exchange it.

my macbook is beachballing like crazy. it's the late 2009 white macbook running mountain lion. i thought the hard drive was failing but i just checked in disk utilities and it's all good it says. i repaired the permissions while i was at it. that didn't help. any ideas?

looked into it more, i only have 2gb of ram and am running mountain lion. i hear mountain lion doen't run that great on 2gb, looking back i don't think i beachballed hardly ever on snow leopard. i think i'll cop this. you guys agree?

Amazon product ASIN B001PS9UKW

Any place I can get a reliable battery for an 08 aluminum macbook? How much do you think they'd cost in stores?

I used to get Kernal panics all the time, like 2 or 3 a day after a while. So I took it into the Apple store and the "Genius" said that it's because I changed icons.....I just left and whenever I finally updated to ML or whatever the newest OS is called it all stopped.
My icons are still changed too

Think I might of messed up my battery. My MBP dies way to fast now. I'll charged it all the way up, it will say I have 7 hours remaining on the battery until I start up iTunes and it will drop to 4. Any solutions?

Any place I can get a reliable battery for an 08 aluminum macbook? How much do you think they'd cost in stores?

The apple online store sold batteries for $130. I bought it from the online store because I trust and am more comfortable buying from the actual retailer. Turns out the battery didn't fit, that's when I brought it to the store to inquire about buying the battery in-store. They didn't have the battery in store, and they told me I would have to pay an extra fee and have them replace it there. I replaced the ram and removed my optical drive to use a SSD, so I was worried about that and I didnt want to pay a service fee for something I could easily do myself.

The story seems to conflict because I can buy the battery online, but not in store? Maybe the rep didn't know what he was talking about.

I ended up buying a new OEM 2009 battery on e8ay for $100. It's been almost a year since I've replaced the battery. 402 cycles / 86% health.

Let me know if you need more information, or if you want the seller's name.

Think I might of messed up my battery. My MBP dies way to fast now. I'll charged it all the way up, it will say I have 7 hours remaining on the battery until I start up iTunes and it will drop to 4. Any solutions?

You just need to re-calibrate your battery. Let your battery drop completely to 0% and then recharge and restart. It's recommended that this be done once a month. This should help adjust any major fluctuations with your battery status. Also, the battery status will adjust itself based on the processes that run. Your macbook may have 7 hours on an extra dim screen with just pages open, but this will drop considerably with more memory intensive programs.

The battery has an internal microprocessor that provides an estimate of the amount of energy in the battery as it charges and discharges. The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate and to keep the battery operating at maximum efficiency. You should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months after that. If you normally leave your Apple portable computer connected to AC power and very rarely use it on battery power you may want to perform this process once a month. The website www.apple.com/batteries has more helpful information regarding batteries and offers an iCal calendar to remind you to calibrate your battery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

looked into it more, i only have 2gb of ram and am running mountain lion. i hear mountain lion doen't run that great on 2gb, looking back i don't think i beachballed hardly ever on snow leopard. i think i'll cop this. you guys agree?

the ram seems to have really great reviews across the board and amazon has it $10 cheaper than newegg

best bang for your buck computer upgrade, too

pull the trigger

the ram seems to have really great reviews across the board and amazon has it $10 cheaper than newegg

best bang for your buck computer upgrade, too

pull the trigger

aight, yeah i'm gonna cop. i checked the activity monitor. most the time i run apps that are a little higher demand i have zero free ram. :lol: think i found my issue.

Get a program called coconut battery. It will give you statistics about the health of your battery.

aight, yeah i'm gonna cop. i checked the activity monitor. most the time i run apps that are a little higher demand i have zero free ram. :lol: think i found my issue.

If you have the money look into getting a SSD. Memory is nice and makes things snappy but hd read write speeds are the biggest bottle necks in modern day computers.

Sup

Gonna make this jump into the mac os world as I'm looking to get a mbp soon

I've been reading that i7 mbp's are overheating. Is this still an issue?

I might just do the i5 and then ram upgrade+ memory route if that's the case

So just recently my fan has been running nonstop. Even if I just have mail and word open the fan won't stop running. It has never done this before but recently it's been out of control. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Stats:
MBP 2011
8GB Ram
500GB hard drive
2 GHz Intel Core i7

Back
Top Bottom