The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Just copped a MBA with the Best Buy Student discount joint. It was definitely overdue. My white 2008 MacBook was on its last leg :smh: :lol:

Just bought a MBA as well from Best Buy. Came out to roughly ~$735 after taxes.

However I'm thinking about returning it for a retina pro. The retina pro will obviously be a lot more expensive, but having my ram soldered in, combined with the fact that it is only 4gb worries me if I plan to use this MBA laptop for a few years. I also want to install Parallel to run windows 7.

Can some people chime in and weigh their thoughts? Reps will be provided of course :lol:

Just copped a MBA with the Best Buy Student discount joint. It was definitely overdue. My white 2008 MacBook was on its last leg
mean.gif
laugh.gif

However I'm thinking about returning it for a retina pro. The retina pro will obviously be a lot more expensive, but having my ram soldered in, combined with the fact that it is only 4gb worries me if I plan to use this MBA laptop for a few years. I also want to install Parallel to run windows 7.

Can some people chime in and weigh their thoughts? Reps will be provided of course
laugh.gif

I'd def go for 8gb ram MBP if you're going to use parallel. I use it on my late 2011 MBP and it runs but not great. Granted I only have 4gb.

Just copped a MBA with the Best Buy Student discount joint. It was definitely overdue. My white 2008 MacBook was on its last leg
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Can some people chime in and weigh their thoughts? Reps will be provided of course
laugh.gif

I'd def go for 8gb ram MBP if you're going to use parallel. I use it on my late 2011 MBP and it runs but not great. Granted I only have 4gb.

What do you mean by not great?

I took my macbook pro (early 2011) to the genius bar today and found out my motherboard has to be replaced thanks to one of my usb ports not working :smh:

Good thing I'm still under applecare cause the guy who took a look my macbook said it would be like 500 to get it replaced :x

mean.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

It can be really laggy at times. I give parallel 2gb of ram to run but then OSX runs slow until I close parallel. If I give parallel 1GB of ram but then its slow and laggy. Usable but not preferred. I use parallel to run windows 7, not sure how it would perform running Linux. I really have to upgrade the ram in this thing :lol:

mean.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

It can be really laggy at times. I give parallel 2gb of ram to run but then OSX runs slow until I close parallel. If I give parallel 1GB of ram but then its slow and laggy. Usable but not preferred. I use parallel to run windows 7, not sure how it would perform running Linux. I really have to upgrade the ram in this thing :lol:
Interesting. I'll usually give 2-3 GB of ram for parallels and I haven't really had any issues. It's been laggy about 3 or 4 times since I've had it but a quick restart takes care of it for me. I use it for win7 as well. Haven't gotten around to running Linux yet. Hopefully will in the next month or two when I get around to it. I do have 8GB of ram. Even before I installed parallels, the switch from 4GB to 8GB was noticeable. I've seen the beach ball maybe once or twice since doing so. This thing is from '09 and it still feels and runs like new.

Looks like I'll get the retina then.

I was really liking the MBA battery life and weight too though. Obviously my real, biggest gripe is that I need to drop a few extra bucks just so I can have a bigger ram :lol: :smh:

Interesting. I'll usually give 2-3 GB of ram for parallels and I haven't really had any issues. It's been laggy about 3 or 4 times since I've had it but a quick restart takes care of it for me. I use it for win7 as well. Haven't gotten around to running Linux yet. Hopefully will in the next month or two when I get around to it. I do have 8GB of ram. Even before I installed parallels, the switch from 4GB to 8GB was noticeable. I've seen the beach ball maybe once or twice since doing so. This thing is from '09 and it still feels and runs like new.

Great resource to see how much RAM you will need: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756865&highlight=ram+buying+guide

how do you know what year your mac is like how do you know that you just didn't go into the store today and bought a mac but it was built in 2012. would that still be considered a '14 mac?

I'm looking for a quality but affordable SSD for my '09 macbook pro

Any suggestions?

Cop the Samsung EVO 250 GB for 130 on Amazon, it's worth it I'll telling you

how do you know what year your mac is like how do you know that you just didn't go into the store today and bought a mac but it was built in 2012. would that still be considered a '14 mac?

Look up your serial number on About this Mac and type it in here

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

my 2011 Macbook Pro died the past summer.
got a 2014 Macbook Pro just last week, died 2 days ago.

Apple Genius' said it was the logic board. i was going to get my 2011 replaced, but figured a new one was worth it anyways. they said they can take out the hard drive and put it in a HD case for free (like an external)

im running Photoshop & Illustrator heavy. is there any way to avoid this in the future? cant keep running through Macbooks like this. i was thinking its the files that cause the problem. so ill store them on another external or whatever

Damn that sucks

What's the specs on the 14' one you purchased?

my mistake. its from '12.

-2.5, dualcore
-4gb ram
-500gb

best buy replaced it with a new one & switched the HDs so i didnt lose my stuff.

it happened to me again. twice in a span of 4-5 days. both times it stopped when i plugged in my iphone.

going to bestbuy tmrw, and get a new one & switch it again.

anyone know what could be the problem?

Damn that sucks

What's the specs on the 14' one you purchased?

my mistake. its from '12.

-2.5, dualcore
-4gb ram
-500gb

best buy replaced it with a new one & switched the HDs so i didnt lose my stuff.

it happened to me again. twice in a span of 4-5 days. both times it stopped when i plugged in my iphone.

going to bestbuy tmrw, and get a new one & switch it again.

anyone know what could be the problem?

No idea that honestly sounds wild. If you are getting the same problem over and over, it might something on your HD. You also may need 8 GB of ram to run those programs simultaneously.

Last edited:
No idea that honestly sounds wild. If you are getting the same problem over and over, it might something on your HD. You also may need 8 GB of ram to run those programs simultaneously.

nah, the 4gb is the 'standard' for my program. the 8gb is the one that died during the summer.

inconvenient as hell bc i got deadlines for monday/tuesday.

just did a quick google search on the problem. apparently its a somewhat common thing to have a macbook shutdown after an iphone is plugged in. ppl are saying its the logic board. but with 2 brand new macbooks? messed up. going to ask the Genius' this week when i pick up my old HD

Just purchased the latest Mac for $1747. Open box from Best Buy. Apparently, the customer thought it was suppose to come with a cd/blu-ray/dvd drive. When the customer found out that wasn't the case, he immediately returned the laptop.

So now I'm #TeamMac 8) . Bought a laptop case & keyboard cover so far. What other accessories should I look into? Any tips n' tricks on the MacBook that are a must know?

Anyone have experience with Anker? Tired of having to keep my computer connected to the charger all day long.

Amazon product ASIN B006ZGCH18
Good buy or no?
PLEASE RESPOND!
Just purchased the latest Mac for $1747. Open box from Best Buy. Apparently, the customer thought it was suppose to come with a cd/blu-ray/dvd drive. When the customer found out that wasn't the case, he immediately returned the laptop.

So now I'm #TeamMac
glasses.gif
. Bought a laptop case & keyboard cover so far. What other accessories should I look into? Any tips n' tricks on the MacBook that are a must know?
WHat? 
sick.gif
. You could buy two Macbook Airs for that price. What does that thing do, can I hack the Pentagaon? 

My macbook from summer 2011 is still going strong
Got an external during Christmas for some more memory which helps

I run music software and photoshop/word/excel/PowerPoint/DVD crazy and nothing has happened to me yet.

Had to replace a fan about a year or 2 ago but that was an easy switch

All good since then

Anyone have experience with Anker? Tired of having to keep my computer connected to the charger all day long.

PLEASE RESPOND!

So now I'm #TeamMac 8) . Bought a laptop case
WHat? :x . You could buy two Macbook Airs for that price. What does that thing do, can I hack the Pentagaon? 

I have the anker battery in my late 2008 macbook. I cant really say the quality of it because the mac is old so i dont know if it's using the battery efficiently. I know it's better than the stock battery because that one would show being dead after like 10 minutes. If I click on the battery icon on the top with the anker battery in, it tells me to service battery. I believe they have a good return policy and there are many reviews on them.

So now I'm #TeamMac 8) . Bought a laptop case & keyboard cover so far. What other accessories should I look into? Any tips n' tricks on the MacBook that are a must know?
:x there goes part of the down payment for the condo

PLEASE RESPOND!

So now I'm #TeamMac 8) . Bought a laptop case
WHat? :x . You could buy two Macbook Airs for that price. What does that thing do, can I hack the Pentagaon? 

I have the anker battery in my late 2008 macbook. I cant really say the quality of it because the mac is old so i dont know if it's using the battery efficiently. I know it's better than the stock battery because that one would show being dead after like 10 minutes. If I click on the battery icon on the top with the anker battery in, it tells me to service battery. I believe they have a good return policy and there are many reviews on them.
Mine is an 08 too. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom