The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

gonna try and get MacDill after my time as a drill SGT. I just need to put in for my TS clearance and I should be good.

Anyone know someone in the merchant marine

Many jobs out there?

Pay worth it?

Overall feeling?

I just transferred to SUNY maritime and my first semester so far is alright just never been in a military element so it kinda taking its toll on me but after the summer I can go back to being a civilian if I like and getting a regular Ba in engineering in about a year n a half more but if I stick it out for 2 n half more years (and get into like 15k in loans) I can get my uscg unlimited engine license :smokin or :nerd: idk yet :rolleyes

gonna try and get MacDill after my time as a drill SGT. I just need to put in for my TS clearance and I should be good.

Yeah, it's nice. Great weather. Pretty women. Lax environment depending on your command. Great environment for singles and families.

Yeah, it's nice. Great weather. Pretty women. Lax environment depending on your command. Great environment for singles and families.
Yeah I'm familiar with the area. My mother in law lives in a small town called Wimauma, about 15-20 min from
Brandon. If I get out there I'm staying as long as possible :lol:

Any of my Navy cats know anyone in, or have been stationed at HPU Bahrain, I think I'm getting orders there and before I go back and forth with my Detailer about how I wanted RIVRON 2 out of Bahrain, I need to know about so I can weigh my options

Any of my Navy cats know anyone in, or have been stationed at HPU Bahrain, I think I'm getting orders there and before I go back and forth with my Detailer about how I wanted RIVRON 2 out of Bahrain, I need to know about so I can weigh my options
Give me a day or so, they're 7 hours ahead waiting on my ppl to hit me back about it

I joined at the same age and graduated basic/AIT top 3. What's your motivate for joining? You going active or reserve?

Just in need of a career. Got a decent paying job but I've kinda maxed out since I don't have a degree. No kids at the moment either.

My father a 25 year vet out of AF ..I'm regretting not going straight in :lol:

I joined at the same age and graduated basic/AIT top 3. What's your motivate for joining? You going active or reserve?

Just in need of a career. Got a decent paying job but I've kinda maxed out since I don't have a degree. No kids at the moment either.

My father a 25 year vet out of AF ..I'm regretting not going straight in :lol:
True that on starting late

Wat did you all do about bills ? I got a 350 dollar car note and some credit card debt. I'm guessing I could return my tags and cancel my car insurance for a while since I wouldn't be driving

Wat did you all do about bills ? I got a 350 dollar car note and some credit card debt. I'm guessing I could return my tags and cancel my car insurance for a while since I wouldn't be driving

Only had car insurance, cc, student loans and phone bill. You get paid in basic or boot camp. You won't have many expenses. Most our expenses are gas, food, rent etc

Which you won't have in boot camp so it's all good. My training at OTC was 13 weeks I have my dad power attorney and he just took care of all my finances.

If that's not an option just set up everything on auto pay from your bank account. You don't have to cancel your insurance they can suspend it for you for a temporary time. That's what I did.

Last edited:
For all my peeps in the Navy what are the most desirable jobs ? Heard that I should stay far away from any job near the flight deck

For all my peeps in the Navy what are the most desirable jobs ? Heard that I should stay far away from any job near the flight deck
Any job that will easily transition into the civilian world once you get out usually, (HM- hospital corpsman is usually the main one), thing is though most of those jobs are overmanned so advancement quotas suck. And I don't believe that about Aviation jobs, I work in aviation and I love it. Like everything it's all in what you make it, and how hard you work to get to where you wanna be. Everyone has their own opinion about everything so be careful with that. Doing your own research is a MUST, I use to be a recruiter so if you have any general enlisting questions let me know. Also there's an active Navy Chief and a few others on here as well so a lot of experience all around if you need any advice or input.

Any job that will easily transition into the civilian world once you get out usually, (HM- hospital corpsman is usually the main one), thing is though most of those jobs are overmanned so advancement quotas suck. And I don't believe that about Aviation jobs, I work in aviation and I love it. Like everything it's all in what you make it, and how hard you work to get to where you wanna be. Everyone has their own opinion about everything so be careful with that. Doing your own research is a MUST, I use to be a recruiter so if you have any general enlisting questions let me know. Also there's an active Navy Chief and a few others on here as well so a lot of experience all around if you need any advice or input.

Most interesting job I see is the Electronic Technician. Would love to be able to get into Engineerring. Are all the applied sciences jobs really competitive ?

Most interesting job I see is the Electronic Technician. Would love to be able to get into Engineerring. Are all the applied sciences jobs really competitive ?
Most of those jobs like ET, EM, OS, FC, IS, IT, etc. have good advancement quotas up to E-6/E-7. Not really competitive if you know your job and perform well honestly. We call them push button thirds because outta A or C school they're automatically advanced to E-4 (for ET/FC I know for sure). Also, usually a clearance is required for most those jobs just an FYI. Also, have you taken the ASVAB or the EST (practice one)? Depending on what you score is what type of job offers you'll get...with that though just because you qualify for a job doesn't mean you'll get it, again some jobs are overmanned and you won't be able to enlist in that specific field.

Most of those jobs like ET, EM, OS, FC, IS, IT, etc. have good advancement quotas up to E-6/E-7. Not really competitive if you know your job and perform well honestly. We call them push button thirds because outta A or C school they're automatically advanced to E-4 (for ET/FC I know for sure). Also, usually a clearance is required for most those jobs just an FYI. Also, have you taken the ASVAB or the EST (practice one)? Depending on what you score is what type of job offers you'll get...with that though just because you qualify for a job doesn't mean you'll get it, again some jobs are overmanned and you won't be able to enlist in that specific field.

Honestly I've jus started looking into it. I'm 24 and need to jumpstart my life. I have an active TS right now so maybe that gives me a leg up. I'm thinkjng I'll go meet the recruiter sometime soon and really get the process started. How long are ASVAB scored valid ?

Honestly I've jus started looking into it. I'm 24 and need to jumpstart my life. I have an active TS right now so maybe that gives me a leg up. I'm thinkjng I'll go meet the recruiter sometime soon and really get the process started. How long are ASVAB scored valid ?
If you took it in high school it's invalid now. Plus I know when I took it in high school my mind wasn't on joining at the time so I didn't take it seriously. Definitely go meet with a recruiter and feel things out. You're older too which is good, so don't let anyone sell you bs, and remember you don't have to join that day just take the EST which they'll probably put you on immediately, then set up another appointment to take the actual ASVAB. That'll give you time to figure out what you really want to do.

Last edited:

Do not do not do not be an engineer or a boatswain's mate. They have the worst quality of life. They are always at work. Your job will depend on how well you score on your asvab. HMs are hard to advance. If I was enlisted I would be an OS, IT, YN, CT or IC. They have the better jobs and their jobs translate over to the real world. Especially IT and CT. You can easily walk into a gov job afterwards knocking down 60-70k with a clearance and certs if you go for them. The thing about the navy is they will train and send you to school as much as they can. And if you look up navy cool they will pay for any certificate available.

Last edited:
solewoman solewoman you're an officer, that's cool. And also everything SoleWoman said is true, I used to be an engineer (EN) before switching over to MA (Police) and it was hard work and long hours, although there was a quiet satisfaction from it because I enjoyed seeing the product after I was done, but it was hard work and I knew I would not want to do it for very long. IT, IC, FC, ET,IS, CT are the way to go, stay out of trouble, keep your clearance together and you'll be fine.

Also, who here has been to Bahrain, I get to go to HPU Bahrain in June, really wanted RIVRON 2 out of Bahrain, but oh well.

solewoman solewoman you're an officer, that's cool. And also everything SoleWoman said is true, I used to be an engineer (EN) before switching over to MA (Police) and it was hard work and long hours, although there was a quiet satisfaction from it because I enjoyed seeing the product after I was done, but it was hard work and I knew I would not want to do it for very long. IT, IC, FC, ET,IS, CT are the way to go, stay out of trouble, keep your clearance together and you'll be fine.

Also, who here has been to Bahrain, I get to go to HPU Bahrain in June, really wanted RIVRON 2 out of Bahrain, but oh well.
I thought I replied back to you Art, my bad. So you did get those orders? I'll be out there in April for a detachment rotation myself.

My boy was an MA2 out there in charge of his own harbor unit, he said his biggest issue was personnel management. Bahrain has like the biggest population of MA's (juniors at that) so take that into account of being in a foreign area with little restrictions. Keep them in line and you'll be good. He says the working hours are crazy due to where you are of course and the tasking, you're an MA so you know what comes with that. His rotation was like 5 on 2 off...2 on 2 off...it fluctuated. You've been to BAH before? Even still familiarize yourself with the policies again, for on and especially off base. I know our curfew just changed to 2300, smh, when just a few years ago E-6's had no curfew. But we have a lot of knuckleheads who go on detachment and act up so our OIC changed a few things, smh. But definitely make sure your sponsor is setting you up for success (i.e. Living arrangements, transpo, etc.)

Last edited:
^^^ preciate it fam, because I know a lot of MAs, but none have been to HPU out there.

Last edited:
Any Air Force folks here that work at AFPC it's some jobs that I wan't but you guys system is jacked up. I wish it was like the Army it's way easier to retrain.

Back
Top Bottom