THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

The white/orange pair is hideous except for the solid metallic-looking heel counter, that looks nicer than the translucent ones.

I wonder if the swoosh and tongue logo are 3M on these greys...

20180610181755_original.jpg

The first sneaker came out in late Nov of 2014 ($225). The second one came out a little over a month later ($275) Same model Kobe. Same tech. Same materials. BUT...the second one was $50 more. Fifty dollars (50).

How is that possible? IMO, it's simply because the second one was that year's 'What The'; it was assumed there would be a lot more hype regarding that release, and they thought they could get away with $50 increase. It sat in stores near me. I call BS on a lot of the 'the new tech costs more $.' Just my opinion.

bought the 9 elite sequoia for $100 when we were still able to do phone orders thru NFS, one of the best deals i've caught :smile:

I appreciate the numbers you pulled/calculated, gives a lot of perspective.

However, is it fair to say inflation doesn't effect shoes as much as other commodities? Shoes have arguably gotten cheaper to produce and more automated. I'm not sure how expensive raw materials (leather) are, but I'm guessing textiles and knits are cheaper? IDK, this is pure speculation on my part.

Another thing I was thinking is they're also making shoes at a margin they are comfortable with. For example, if those Pippen 1s were $160 MSRP, but maybe cost $40 to make, then they made $120 profit. Common sense to me says Nike has only tried to grow that margin over time, not reduce it, so I gotta believe they're making at least $120 per 360 sold. Let's say, for convenience, they increased that $120 margin by $40 to $160, meaning it cost them $40 to produce the 360. Long story short, while average Nike BBall shoe prices haven't increased to $250+, Nike has advanced their production methods to make shoes or chosen materials that allow them to make the same profit per pair, presumably more, which allows them to keep their shoe prices roughly the same as the mid 90s.

Although I'm glad shoes don't regularly cost $250+, I don't feel "fortunate" either as if Nike is doing us a favor.

All interesting points. I don't work in the shoe industry and neither am I an economist or expert. I was just pointing out what I can plainly see, which is the fact that inflation is clearly not responsible (by itself) for why sneakers cost what they do. Common sense tells me that you are right about manufacturing improvements and modern materials providing Nike with the same or even better margins than it had 20 years ago.

That said, I also believe there is another big factor at play when it comes to pricing, and it is simply the fact that most products have an inherent value in the minds of the majority of consumers, and as a result there is a price ceiling past which those consumers will not go. If Nike could move as many units as it does today while pricing them at $300 a pair, it would. The reason it doesn't is, there aren't enough people willing to pay that much for sneakers to make the numbers work. Nike slowly crept the prices higher and higher during the past few years, with several shoes reaching or coming close to that $200 mark. And it appeared the market rejected those prices, leading to price drops on most all of the following year's signature shoes. Regardless of inflation and any other economic factors, the reality is that MOST people aren't into spending $200--hell, even $130 or $150--on sneakers. Nike sells the majority of its products to non-sneakerheads, not the kind of people on NT. More than anything, I believe that is what keeps the prices hovering in the range they do.

All interesting points. I don't work in the shoe industry and neither am I an economist or expert. I was just pointing out what I can plainly see, which is the fact that inflation is clearly not responsible (by itself) for why sneakers cost what they do. Common sense tells me that you are right about manufacturing improvements and modern materials providing Nike with the same or even better margins than it had 20 years ago.

That said, I also believe there is another big factor at play when it comes to pricing, and it is simply the fact that most products have an inherent value in the minds of the majority of consumers, and as a result there is a price ceiling past which those consumers will not go. If Nike could move as many units as it does today while pricing them at $300 a pair, it would. The reason it doesn't is, there aren't enough people willing to pay that much for sneakers to make the numbers work. Nike slowly crept the prices higher and higher during the past few years, with several shoes reaching or coming close to that $200 mark. And it appeared the market rejected those prices, leading to price drops on most all of the following year's signature shoes. Regardless of inflation and any other economic factors, the reality is that MOST people aren't into spending $200--hell, even $130 or $150--on sneakers. Nike sells the majority of its products to non-sneakerheads, not the kind of people on NT. More than anything, I believe that is what keeps the prices hovering in the range they do.
Sure, and to be fair, I wasn't following the conversation prior to your post so I probably missed some context.

Remember JB's "remastering" retros back in 2015-2016? Aka marketing speak for "we're going to charge more for our products". What a joke that was. You mean to tell me you've gotten worse at making a product from the 80s/90s even with the innovation and advancements in technology over the last 25+ years?

Sure, and to be fair, I wasn't following the conversation prior to your post so I probably missed some context.

Remember JB's "remastering" retros back in 2015-2016? Aka marketing speak for "we're going to charge more for our products". What a joke that was. You mean to tell me you've gotten worse at making a product from the 80s/90s even with the innovation and advancements in technology over the last 25+ years?

The entire thing is a joke. Nike/Jordan could make spot-on retros, it just chooses not to. I've gotten very particular about which retros I even will buy anymore as a result. I'm never buying a pair of IIIs again until they fix it. The good news is, there are shoes like this Kobe 360. I'm still just waiting for a colorway to appear that I can't say no to.

These could almost be mambacurials given the use the same colours as the Soccer World Cup Mercurial boots

That's what they are. In the past, Nike seemed to always put together themes or back-stories for Kobe releases. Now it seems like they just release them w/o that stuff.

I think they were tagged 'World Cup' on FLs store release stuff.

Those Js got 'remastered' about as much the Protros got new tech.

IMG_0116.PNG

Isiah Thomas PE.

These are fuego.

Maybe Kuzma will wear them next season, I doubt Thomas will be resigned by the Lakers, I actually have doubts that he will land on any good team! Maybe he gets a spot on one of the worser teams in the league!

Maybe Kuzma will wear them next season, I doubt Thomas will be resigned by the Lakers, I actually have doubts that he will land on any good team! Maybe he gets a spot on one of the worser teams in the league!

These are for IT, peep the #3. Kuzms is being shipped out once the lakers pick Lebron and other players. Sorry to burst you air max bubble these are just the inevitable facts.

I'm trying to decide between 360 'lakers' and protro 'final seconds'. I'm super washed and don't hoop that much anymore, just gym workouts. Which should I get?
360 Lakers look so dope in person, Protos are nice too tho sheeeh, I'd go with the newer tech, the react would probably be better for lifting tbh

These are for IT, peep the #3. Kuzms is being shipped out once the lakers pick Lebron and other players. Sorry to burst you air max bubble these are just the inevitable facts.

I think Kuzma would wear the shoes, even if they had a 24 or 8 on them! He might get shipped, so Julius Randle would take over these duties! LOL

Back
Top Bottom