The Official Nike LeBron 14 Thread. Retail $175

Have you looked at all of the lebron signature models recently?

I own the 11s and 12s and the upper is predominantly one piece hyperfuse-type material with pieces of posited material for support. I believe the 13 is similar as well.

If you compare this to earlier Lebron models, it definitely seems less expensive to manufacture. After the 11, they started cutting back the amount of Zoom used as well when they went to hex Zoom. On top of that they dropped the full length Lunarlon from the 11 as well.

Ehhh I can't agree especially since we have seen the different materials on the 11s and the 12s.
You couldn't get me to agree that it's more expensive to create the earlier lebrons either.
The zoom generation was pretty simple. Same as the 2 and the 3.
The 4 is a foamposite and the v wasn't mostly leather either.
You can go down the line and I wouldn't think the design was limited by any means.

The price of rubbers and synthetics rises with petroleum, so I I can see cost being higher for these recent signatures. It's a shame as I was a big fan of 1-8, especially with how the 7 and 8 showed us that leather can mesh perfectly with modern lightweight materials for a pinnacle shoe.

I honestly think JP has run his course, it's all they can do to get LBJ to stay out of soldiers even when a new signature drops

Didn't Nike lose a lot of its designers and stuff to competitors like adidas?

That sounds like the culprit to me especially since it feels like Nike hasn't replaced those talents yet.
That sounds like the culprit to me especially since it feels like Nike hasn't replaced those talents yet.

I agree.

It seems like Petrie, Chang, and Avar are the only ones designing. Chang is doing two sigs.

They should have Aaron Cooper (Pippen and Payton sit line) come back in to the fold.

Legit thinking that Nike thinks they are the smartest guys in the room. Hard to argue; but it ain't like the people making these decisions got them to their current market share. So many signs of a company that isn't hungry.

It's Jan. You're biggest star has a shoe line that is almost DOA.

View media item 2285089

Ehhh I can't agree especially since we have seen the different materials on the 11s and the 12s.
You couldn't get me to agree that it's more expensive to create the earlier lebrons either.
The zoom generation was pretty simple. Same as the 2 and the 3.
The 4 is a foamposite and the v wasn't mostly leather either.
You can go down the line and I wouldn't think the design was limited by any means.
I own the 11s and 12s and the upper is predominantly one piece hyperfuse-type material with pieces of posited material for support. I believe the 13 is similar as well.

If you compare this to earlier Lebron models, it definitely seems less expensive to manufacture. After the 11, they started cutting back the amount of Zoom used as well when they went to hex Zoom. On top of that they dropped the full length Lunarlon from the 11 as well.

It's an interesting subject because it's not something I've really considered before, but if I had to guess on the most expensive materials used on a LeBron, I'd go with the V, which is ironic, because it's usually mentioned among the least popular Bron sigs. I'm just basing my guess on the V's strap and metal used on the clasp.

Does Nike want to make good looking shoes? I'm sure. But with all the lifestyle models now compared to the 90s, people used to wear basketball sneakers casually a lot more, I think they're just focusing on performance.

Yea you can add real leather, or patent leather, and multiple panels to make a shoe look good. But it's not a coincidence that all the good looking 90s kicks are heavy and hot as hell.

The Lebron 14 looks light, flexible, and relatively breathable. If you want fashion shoes there are dozens of options, if you want these to play in, what more could you ask for really?

Does Nike want to make good looking shoes? I'm sure. But with all the lifestyle models now compared to the 90s, people used to wear basketball sneakers casually a lot more, I think they're just focusing on performance.

Yea you can add real leather, or patent leather, and multiple panels to make a shoe look good. But it's not a coincidence that all the good looking 90s kicks are heavy and hot as hell.

The Lebron 14 looks light, flexible, and relatively breathable. If you want fashion shoes there are dozens of options, if you want these to play in, what more could you ask for really?

I'm with you on the 90s Kicks being heavy, but the 7 and 8 were both very light and also enjoyable to play in. The 8 V1 showcased some great suede as well as tumbled leather (Chinas), coupled with flywire panels. I just don't see why that can't be replicated. There is a place for stripped down performance oriented hoops shoes, but in prefer that to exist with the 140-150 price point hyperdunk. It's not asking a lot of a 185+ dollar shoe to look the part as well as perform

My casual is what keeps me only to the ext and very few cws, I think most don't care about performance and I know it's a steep hill when trying to balance performance needs with casual looks, there's always the group that's die hard fans and will wear everything and then there's the group that say this is ugly and can't be worn casually. Personally the shoe has a strap so I think it has casual appeal of that alone

I'm with you on the 90s Kicks being heavy, but the 7 and 8 were both very light and also enjoyable to play in. The 8 V1 showcased some great suede as well as tumbled leather (Chinas), coupled with flywire panels. I just don't see why that can't be replicated. There is a place for stripped down performance oriented hoops shoes, but in prefer that to exist with the 140-150 price point hyperdunk. It's not asking a lot of a 185+ dollar shoe to look the part as well as perform

7s were a beast, not sure why they went away from that design, and you make a good point with that one. 8s were light (surprisingly) but they were the hottest and maybe the bulkiest 1-14 Js.

I'm with you on the hyperdunk point, but I think Nike is trying to showcase their top tech in the Lebron, which means less compromising for looks. So it's not as much paired down as high teched out.

I think people think a lot of these sneakers are ugly because the baggy jeans and clothes that made 90s basketball sneakers shine went out of style. Now it's more about low top shoes like runners and maybe a few bball models because of all the tiny pants.

Edit: my bad when I hear 90s kicks and numbers like 7 and 8 I immediately think Jordan. 7 and 8 Lebrons were both light and playable.

Last edited:
I hear people saying stuff like "they managed it in the 90s". Now, no lie, I was born in '90 lol. So, was there really anything else out there better for performance use besides leather and suede and other raw materials? Was there really anything like now? Fuse, mesh, wovens etc

I mean, like the person said up there they want to showcase their best tech on new shoes for Lebrons line. I personally don't have a problem with offering an "EXT" or "LUX" line on shoes. I'm just asking because if there is a better performing material than leather as far as playing basketball, then that's what they should offer. At the end of the day, it IS a performance model and they can offer a leather/suede option after that.

Times may have changed, but I still wear jeans (not big boot cut) and whatever shoes I d@mn well please with whatever I want. I wore the "Witness/The Land" 12s and got several compliments.

I'm not expecting a resurgence in basketball shoes being worn casually any time soon. I think for the most part that's dead. However, that doesn't mean Nike should sacrifice looks for performance. Nike used to be able to design good looking, good performing kicks in the past, so why should they stop now?

Last edited:

I'm not expecting a resurgence in basketball shoes being worn casually any time soon. I think for the most part that's dead. However, that doesn't mean Nike should sacrifice looks for performance. Nike used to be able to design good looking, good performing kicks in the past, so why should they stop now?
I don't think they did stop, but im probably in the minority. I think the Kobe XI, Kobe AD, Lebron 7-14, all looked really good and I think the Jordan 30 and 31 look great.

But I'm only wearing on court or with sportswear, at least since high school lol.

Back
Top Bottom