The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I've been ghost from the thread lately but good to see everyone still shooting. I have a huge photo dump to do eventually

ANY FELLOW NT SHOOTERS PARTICIPATING IN OPEN HOUSE CHICAGO THIS WEEKEND?

good looking out on the heads up for this, going to try to hit up some of these spots up

I might be doing a last minute one day trip to Chicago. Any recommendations for places to shoot. Also like those open garage rooftops to get a good shot of the city and train. I'll be heading towards the bean so around that area. Oh and the best pizza joint. Thanks guys.

i don't have knowledge of spots & such but nuff tings in the downtown area to see if you got the time to walk around & explore a bit; museums, navy pier, parks, the fountain, people, food & shopping are all right there near the bean...as for the best pizza joint, if you have not been to the chi before you should try stuffed pizza, there's always debate about the best "____" so you can do your googles if you are on it like that or you can just hit a giordano's or lou malnati's; you won't have to go that far to find either of these & while they may not be the best but both their stuffed pizza is really good

good stuff. kudos on undertaking learning off camera flash fong. its only a matter of time until you start connecting all the dots and kill everything. for guys like Dj, danyo, fong, rolo and anyone else for whom this applies, where did yall start with your websites/blog? wordpress, squarespace? gonna get one going to stay busy before this week's end. congrats and welcome to education blueribbon, sounds like busy first year. heres a few

30325301376_eb9f7fa7f1_c.jpg
30325292056_2992a16a19_c.jpg
29730193684_c4b5371937_c.jpg
29729186873_19bb7966bf_c.jpg

good stuff. kudos on undertaking learning off camera flash fong. its only a matter of time until you start connecting all the dots and kill everything. for guys like Dj, danyo, fong, rolo and anyone else for whom this applies, where did yall start with your websites/blog? wordpress, squarespace? gonna get one going to stay busy before this week's end. congrats and welcome to education blueribbon, sounds like busy first year. heres a few

Thanks bro. I wish I could just do natural light like you man, but it's like me to just start on something else without mastering the first thing. And to answer your question, I use wordpress but it is so outdated as of now. I think I'd do squarespace if I did it all over again or to at least make a portfolio on. I don't know what the popular domain sites though amongst the photographer community. There could be some other good ones out there.

Did some more flash shooting this weekend. Thought I had some epic shots with one location but turns out it looked horrible on the computer. I rented a 135mm this weekend, so did mostly portrait and full body shots.

maria-9.png
maria-8b.png

Last edited:

Squarespace all day

Man my main issue with photography now is .. Everyone is one .. Since Instagram now every avg joe is a photographer and it doesn't matter if they are good or not as long as they have tons of like and or followers ...

Seen some Dookie dudes with thousands of followers and I scratch my head when I hear the stories of how amazing they are and how other people need to expand their wings but yet their port of just like everyone else ... No ingenuity, sunrise sunset + landmark and LE ... Smh

This is good - from the previous one you had one that stood out ...

One thing I learn - that sometime less is better. There are plenty of pictures that I don't post or release because although they are tech good - they dont compare to the others, which means that people will be disappointed or not even pay attention ... 

^^^^^^Thanks man. I got the lighting dialed on that one. It's weird cause I just sort of fiddle with it until I get it right. Previous like 5 shots were all out of whack and I just had to adjust accordingly. It was actually pretty dark in this area and the lighting just sort of sold it to the point where it almost looked like natural light. My only gripe if any is I wish I was somehow did a panoramic / stackable photo of this location. It had tons of trees that looked great in a horizontal photo. I just didn't have the time cause it started to rain shortly after.

And yeah.....photography is in a weird space now. Back in the days (actually not that long ago), getting a high end camera was almost for the wealthy or gifted. Now that gap has really closed up within cameras being way more affordable now than ever and people are starting this hobby with more ease. Then you have the treatment of photos in general. Your casual photo taker never went to the point to edit photos even for social media. Now it's almost customary to do so even if it is just adding a filter or a change in brightness and contrast. People are just really good at shooting now and people's expectations are just really high now. It's hard to please everyone and even yourself.

^^^^ Filters definitely changed the game for cats on IG and Tumblr. But photography been catching on well before that for general interests. Around the time the D40 came out, I started seeing more people copping DSLRs to take pics for WDYWT threads here, other forums and lookbook.nu

Stepped waaaayyyyy out of my comfort zone again. Did a bath shoot for the first time. Halloween themed. It was a fun experience and really difficult to pose a girl who isn't thin as a piece of paper.

I really love that photography gets me out of my comfort zone so frequently and forces me to try new things.

^^^^That bathtub shot came out dope. Did you just use a ladder and shot to her right/left?

I am keeping my eye open for a 135mm on CL. Oddly Canonrumors is talking about the version 2 should come out soon. Great.

I still want to know more about this beast. The lens seems really god damn big though to the point it looks like it'd be a hassle to shoot with. First review was up and it seems positive. http://petapixel.com/2016/10/17/review-sigmas-85mm-f1-4-art-lens-exceeds-expectations/

^^^^That bathtub shot came out dope. Did you just use a ladder and shot to her right/left?

Thank you. shooting a chick in a tub is a lot different than a couple in the park :rofl:

Her tub actually had a pretty tall platform for me to shoot from.

Here's a BTS shot.

Back
Top Bottom