The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

My homie rented a 6D for a wedding and we got to borrow it for one of our (street fashion) shoots. Shot mostly with my 50 1.8 and man that camera produces such nicer shots (obviously) than my T5. Well that might br the wrong phrase as I think i can replicate thsoe shots with my T5 but obv full frame makes a huge difference. Its just much easier with the 6D.

Thinking of maybe grabbing one now but some reviews online have me second guessing. The 80D is not a full frame but in some reviews is "better" than the 6D. I like the fact the full frame and 50mm is a lot easier than my T5 and 50 as I have to be a lot farther with the T5. That would be my main notion to upgrade.

For what I want, full frame for the sake of not havinng to be so far to get a full body shot, better ISO performance would a 6D be ideal? Any other suggestions? Im reading the 80D has more focus points but the 6D seemed to focus well for street photography.

^ Just get whatever feels more comfortable for you to shoot with. There is always going to be a bigger and better camera out there, so don't be too concerned what other people think. If you used the 6D and like the results and ease of use, then I would get it. If you think the 80D handles better, then get that.

I don't know if yours is for a hobby or not, but photography is all about fun. I've been pretty turned off to the whole review scene, as the competition amongst cameras is rather high right now. If you release a crappy product, the market will pass you by. You pretty much get what you pay for these days.

I dont really care whats new and whatnot. I mean at the end of the day, the 80D isnt full frame so im gonna have to distance myself the same as I am my T5 now no?

I dont really care whats new and whatnot. I mean at the end of the day, the 80D isnt full frame so im gonna have to distance myself the same as I am my T5 now no?

I've had my 6D for three years and I dislike the fact that it only has 11 focus points for what I shoot. It produces great images and I've seen many people with the 6D get some amazing results but it's all about glass. If you have a sharp lens with the 6D you'll get great results. My advice is to go full frame now vs spending money on the 80d now and then later one deciding to go full frame. Unless of course you want the 5DMK3 but since you like the 6D things should work out.

That shot I posted above was shot with my 6D 24-105, not the sharpest but I don't have a prime right now.

Last edited:

Your 50mm is closer to an 85mm for your T5 due to the crop factor. If you want something closer to 50mm focal length in Full Frame look at a 35mm f/2 IS lens. Have you look into the Sigma 18-35/1.8? It should give you the bokeh you are looking for without upgrading to full frame and paying money on full frame lenses.

I've had my 6D for three years and I dislike the fact that it only has 11 focus points for what I shoot. It produces great images and I've seen many people with the 6D get some amazing results but it's all about glass. If you have a sharp lens with the 6D you'll get great results. My advice is to go full frame now vs spending money on the 80d now and then later one deciding to go full frame. Unless of course you want the 5DMK3 but since you like the 6D things should work out.

That shot I posted above was shot with my 6D 24-105, not the sharpest but I don't have a prime right now.

I agree with this. You are pretty much at the point of where you love this hobby enough that you might as well invest in it and get good equipment. My only gripe about the 6D is pretty much what Yanky mentioned. I am a focus snob so I would never get a 6D but if you are shooting only portraits where no one is moving, I assume it should be fine. I shot some surfing photos yesterday with a 300mm lens and shot on AI Servo and man, it was tough. I can't imagine shooting on a 6D where almost a 100% of your shots will not be in focus. It would be so frustrating. I even shot with a Mark 4 yesterday and the focus system is that much better than the Mark 3. Of course not a lot of people care to shoot this kind of stuff but I at least like that I can try where as the 6D, you would be only limited to shooting still things or something subtle like that.

If price is an option, than get the 6D but if not, get the Mark 3. Prices have dropped a lot and I am sure you can even get a used one for a super good bargain. If you want a cheap used Mark 2 in good condition, let me know. :tongue:

Anyone mess with flash mods?

Recently copped this for an event I covered. I highly recommend. Very nice to have a soft boost in the ambient light. :pimp:

Gary Fong Collapsible Speed Mount Light Sphere
http://amzn.to/2nQ68ww

Also have messed with the flash bender / snoot
http://amzn.to/2oCMdko

Wouldn't mind having a Gary Fong.

I honestly don't shoot with an external flash even though I have one :lol: No idea how to use it :lol:

Last edited:
You shot this?

For tripods check out mefoto roadtrip and manfrotto. Manfrotto has a wide range of tripods so what ever fits your needs. I have the mefoto roadtrip and I have no problems with it so far for what I use it for.
Yeah, shot that out at Vazquez Rocks... anyone in LA, I recommend checking this place out! And appreciate the recommendation - I know Manfrotto is one of the go-to's, just with their whole lineup I'm not sure how to narrow it down. Mainly looking into a tripod to get myself into some timelapse - but also looking for a travel one that I can grab n go with ease.

You shot this?

For tripods check out mefoto roadtrip and manfrotto. Manfrotto has a wide range of tripods so what ever fits your needs. I have the mefoto roadtrip and I have no problems with it so far for what I use it for.
Yeah, shot that out at Vazquez Rocks... anyone in LA, I recommend checking this place out! And appreciate the recommendation - I know Manfrotto is one of the go-to's, just with their whole lineup I'm not sure how to narrow it down. Mainly looking into a tripod to get myself into some timelapse - but also looking for a travel one that I can grab n go with ease.

I have this one.

Amazon product ASIN B008JE4S6G
I bought it from Costco for $70 I think a couple years ago.

Thread on PotN: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1144054

Who shoots night photography (engagements or proposals)? What equipment you use and what are you guys best practices for proper ambient exposure.

false
Who shoots night photography (engagements or proposals)? What equipment you use and what are you guys best practices for proper ambient exposure.

Good luck. That is a hard one. I would shoot flash but even that can be difficult. I would shoot wide open, hi ISO and pray to god you get something good. At most, I would do sun down shots but night photos can be challenging to get right.

Hey guys, I recently upgraded to a D810 from my D610 and looking to let my D610 go instead of keeping it as a backup. Was gonna sell it on eBay at first, but I'll let my NT fam get first crack at it :nthat: If you're interested in my D610 shoot me a message. I'll send some pics.

Going inside the transamerica pyramid tomorrow to take some shots. What lens would you recommend, I have a 24-105 and 70-200? Not sure if I should bring my nd filter since I'm shooting at 12pm |I

Some pictures of what it looks like from up there.

My homie rented a 6D for a wedding and we got to borrow it for one of our (street fashion) shoots. Shot mostly with my 50 1.8 and man that camera produces such nicer shots (obviously) than my T5. Well that might br the wrong phrase as I think i can replicate thsoe shots with my T5 but obv full frame makes a huge difference. Its just much easier with the 6D.

Thinking of maybe grabbing one now but some reviews online have me second guessing. The 80D is not a full frame but in some reviews is "better" than the 6D. I like the fact the full frame and 50mm is a lot easier than my T5 and 50 as I have to be a lot farther with the T5. That would be my main notion to upgrade.

For what I want, full frame for the sake of not havinng to be so far to get a full body shot, better ISO performance would a 6D be ideal? Any other suggestions? Im reading the 80D has more focus points but the 6D seemed to focus well for street photography.

tbh i wanted a full frame and still do, but i went and got a 60d and later got a sigma 17-50 2.8 for it. if you dont have enough money for full frame get a lens like this. really helps without breaking the bank. you dont have to get the lens i have, but i recommend it. also because i am able to try different focal lengths that will help me see what i like to shoot when i do move to full frame.

Last edited:
I prefer a prime lense, my 24 is nice but 2.8 is meh and it distorts pictures a bit. I dont mind shooting with it but maybe that 35 will be a good buy...

Hmmm

I prefer a prime lense, my 24 is nice but 2.8 is meh and it distorts pictures a bit. I dont mind shooting with it but maybe that 35 will be a good buy...

Hmmm

instead of primes i would suggest a zoom because it offers more. most primes that you can afford (i assume. sorry if im wrong) you will either have an issue with or cant use on full frame. you cant use the zoom i mentioned on full frame but it makes up for having to buy multiple primes. plus 2.8 can still get bokeh. the 24 distorts because of the focal length and more. not ebcause of the aperture. correct me if im wrong though

Last edited:
you should invest in a long lens for the bokeh you're looking for.

Oh no, bokeh isnt a main thing at all. Its nice in the pics that I do but certainly not at the top of my priority list.

Plus woudnt a 200mm or whatever for bokeh mean the shooter has to be far from me anyways? Thats difficult with the shots I normally take.

instead of primes i would suggest a zoom because it offers more. most primes that you can afford (i assume. sorry if im wrong) you will either have an issue with or cant use on full frame. you cant use the zoom i mentioned on full frame but it makes up for having to buy multiple primes. plus 2.8 can still get bokeh. the 24 distorts because of the focal length and more. not ebcause of the aperture. correct me if im wrong though

Yeah I didnt mean that the 2.8 is the cause of the distortion my bad. I would borrow my homies 24-70 and I MUCH rather use my 50 even with my T5.

This was shot on the 6D, edited on Enlight. 2nd pic is from my T5 also edited. I can take the "same" pics on my T5 as the 6D but the full frame factor just makes it easier for me in terms of actual distance from me and the shooter and the ISO performance. Anything above 400 and I have way too much noise.

oh i see.even though you said otherwise i think you might like the bokeh of it. you can achieve this with 2.8. i think you will just have to realize most lenses that most can afford when starting are lenses at 2.8. 50mm 1.8 is probably the cheapest there is at 1.8. if you dont want to try another lens then i suggest going fullframe and to not buy more lenses lol.

this is with the sigma 17-50mm 2.8. i found this on google, but similarr shot with the depth of field

Last edited:
you should invest in a long lens for the bokeh you're looking for.

Oh no, bokeh isnt a main thing at all. Its nice in the pics that I do but certainly not at the top of my priority list.

Plus woudnt a 200mm or whatever for bokeh mean the shooter has to be far from me anyways? Thats difficult with the shots I normally take.
mg]

i wasnt suggesting 200... just longer than 24 or 50

85mm is my go to portrait lens.

and yes, you will have to stand further back.

And yes, having a full frame will allow you to utilize the entire amount of focal length / let you stand closer.

Back
Top Bottom