The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

How many clicks have you guys managed to put on your shutters?

When I checked earlier today, PhotoME showed 3897 for me since I got my camera about 15 months ago.

I thought that was a lot until someone else told me their shutter count was a little over 10k in just 9 months
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Bumping this because it got lost in the last page:

Hey, Rap (or anyone who can help, really)! With the 5dII, did the 70-200 f/4L still manage to get enough light on the 5dII to avoid noise indoors/at dusk? (Keep in mind that the 1DsII--my next body-- only has ISO expandable to ISO3200).

The 1DsII is full frame, but I shoot at night a lot so I just want to make sure I'm not wasting 500 bucks.
I thought about selling my Nikon gear and using that money and just getting the 70-200 f/2.8L, but I think I'm gonna keep the Nikon around for times when I don't want to risk using the 1DsII.

Thoughts?

In my opinion f/4 is way too slow for indoor/low-light shots. You'll have to seriously crank up the ISO and drag the shutter which is a biggerproblem for a telephoto because even the slightest movement of your hand can blur your shot. Even 2.8 isn't fast enough for me. If shooting in low-light iswhat you're looking to do, pick up a prime. Also last I checked, there's no way you can get a Canon 1Ds Mark II for $500. Used bodies are going for$2000+. If you've found some sort of ridiculous deal then yeah, that's practically a robbery...otherwise, it sounds like a scam. Even with a deadshutter, I can't see this body going for less than $1800. Lastly, the 1DsII is a pro body. They are meant to be rugged and can take quite a beating. Partof the reason why pro bodies are expensive is because they're built a lot tougher and are weather sealed (depending on the lens as well). Risking it inrough conditions should be the least of your concern.

Hope this helps.

@ksteezy, @lucky, and @bana
pimp.gif
pics. For the rest of you, I see some greatstuff, keep at it!

Again thank you all for the positive feedback on the picture. To respond to Fongstarr, I know that in a sense it was jacked up...I explained a little about myhesitation in my last post. I see him alot when I am out in the city and understand he is a really talented guy. I was meaning to talk to him more, but he waspacking his things up as soon as I finished with the shot. I definitely did spare him a few dollars though.

Per your request/suggestion, I have the b/w image attached. Anyways in terms of the OG that I posted, I brought the saturation down a little bit, so thatsprobably why it looks a little underexposed, I played with the raw file again, and I think you did bring up a good point with that, I'll look to change itsoon.

4192582482_44df84e905_b.jpg

another shot:
4192583206_8a154c84da_b.jpg

I'm adding another post, because this is a totally different topic, but since we are on the topic of lens and equipment:

My lineup (which is still obviously growing, equipment is expensive)
Canon 40D
50mm 1.8
and my newest baby- 70-200 f/4L. It's def. a bummer about how slow the lens is esp indoors and at night. But I needed (er, wanted) a telephoto so with thebudget I had I decided on that one. IS would be nice, and the 2.8 would be nicer...but I really can't justify the price tag yet since I am still learning.Soon enough though, soon enough.

Anyways...I am thinking about getting a UWA. I actually need one, I feel like since the widest I can get is 50mm, I am really limited. Can you guys recommendone for me? I was thinking of the Canon 10-22, but if I were to upgrade my body to a FF it wouldnt work, so any suggestions/reviews would be great (maybe even3rd party lens) Thanks.

Originally Posted by XX3forever

I'm adding another post, because this is a totally different topic, but since we are on the topic of lens and equipment:

Canon 40D
50mm 1.8
and my newest baby- 70-200 f/4L. It's def. a bummer about how slow the lens is esp indoors and at night. But I needed (er, wanted) a telephoto so with the budget I had I decided on that one. IS would be nice, and the 2.8 would be nicer...but I really can't justify the price tag yet since I am still learning. Soon enough though, soon enough.

Anyways...I am thinking about getting a UWA. I actually need one, I feel like since the widest I can get is 50mm, I am really limited. Can you guys recommend one for me? I was thinking of the Canon 10-22, but if I were to upgrade my body to a FF it wouldnt work, so any suggestions/reviews would be great (maybe even 3rd party lens) Thanks.
You can go for a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Larger aperture than the Canon 10-22 and it has a solid build. You can mount it on a FF but it is only usableat 16mm, which is still really wide on FF. If you want uber wide and full use of your range independent of the body, you can go for a Sigma 12-24. To myknowledge it is the widest lens you can put on a FF w/o it being a fisheye. A buddy of mine has one for his 5DII and it takes amazing photos. Granted it isslow, but for UWA, you don't particularly need a fast shutter speed for handheld shots.

I don't have an official count, but my 40D is already passed its life expectancy (over 100K, a couple thousand over actually). I want to upgrade so I'mdebating between a used 1D3 or 5DII. I still have a semester left in college and I still plan to shoot sports, so the AF speed of the 1D3 is totally necessary,but I shoot quite a bit of portraits and the 5DII with its FF gives me a shallower DOF and better low light performance. Either way I am in need of a new body,I feel the 40D breaking (it already flakes on me sometimes when I press down the shutter).

Originally Posted by XX3forever

Canon 40D
50mm 1.8
and my newest baby- 70-200 f/4L. It's def. a bummer about how slow the lens is esp indoors and at night. But I needed (er, wanted) a telephoto so with the budget I had I decided on that one. IS would be nice, and the 2.8 would be nicer...but I really can't justify the price tag yet since I am still learning. Soon enough though, soon enough.

Anyways...I am thinking about getting a UWA. I actually need one, I feel like since the widest I can get is 50mm, I am really limited. Can you guys recommend one for me? I was thinking of the Canon 10-22, but if I were to upgrade my body to a FF it wouldnt work, so any suggestions/reviews would be great (maybe even 3rd party lens) Thanks.
I think the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 would be your best bet.

Quick question for anyone that can answer this. My coworker is interested in getting a DSLR and she wants to get something at a pretty good price. What areyour thoughts on getting a refurb at say...B&H Photo? They have a D5000 for less then $600 there. Thanks!

^ Refrubs at dedicated camera stores should be fine. Most of the time they're just floor models or were used for a quick test when they first get theinitial batch. Electronic stores like BestBuy however could be a lot more used. Not to mention their floor models get quite abused sometimes. Just check forany clicks made before being boxed up.

Hey Bana how do you like that 24 1.4L?? Can you show me more examples of you using it? Im still looking for a Canon L ultra wide angle lens that's lessthan a 2.0aperture.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Quick question for anyone that can answer this. My coworker is interested in getting a DSLR and she wants to get something at a pretty good price. What are your thoughts on getting a refurb at say...B&H Photo? They have a D5000 for less then $600 there. Thanks!

I would trust almost anything BH puts their seal on. I say go for it.

Bana - Im hesitant of letting go of my 35L, I dont think ill own another lens as fast as this one, but if i do ill let you guys know. As far as the 135L isconcern im 90% positive thats my next purchase, paired up with a 5d that lense is a beast, one of our regulars on the other forum has the 5dmkI + 135L comboand his night candids are incredible as well, the amount of light you can draw in with this combo, makes shooting at night a much more pleasurable experience,not only that but I need the range, as of now im only covered thru 70mm. Ill keep you all posted.

XX3forever - much better on the B&W, powerful pictures like that always work best in B&W. As far as which UWA to get, i think the tokina is your bestbet bud.

Cameta is good for refurbed stuff.. its cheaper to get from their ebay store than their regular website tho

5D
5DII
24-105L
35L
85L II
135L

Soon 70-200 f/4 IS I don't need f/2.8 IS but who knows .. lol

430ex

1 Ab1600
2 Ab800
1 Octabox
1 Softbox
Grids
Color Gels
Barndoors

I don't have many lenses because I hardly use the ones I have and if I'm about to upgrade my gear I might do it for a Mamiya or used hasselblad.

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

I can't wait until I have enough for a D90!

I'm not sure how deep your kicks collection is but if you need money you can start selling those off ....

Now that I look back - I really wasted money on kicks - Bought a bunch of them just to say I have them .. SMH

Now I have over 200 in storage and countless sneaker on my trunk/girls house/families house .. **Let me not think about it**

**edited**

Ok... I don't think you guys are ready for my gear list...

T1i
18-55 IS
50 f/1.8 mkII

Did I get everything?

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

I can't wait until I have enough for a D90!
D90 is now cheaper than it was a month ago... once added to your cart on B&H and Adorma its only $790

But i feel the same way.. can't wait to upgrade bodies.. soon hopefully!

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Hey Bana how do you like that 24 1.4L?? Can you show me more examples of you using it? Im still looking for a Canon L ultra wide angle lens that's less than a 2.0aperture.

of course. it is my most used lens, i absolutely love it.. 1.4 is really amazing on the L lenses.

all of these are at night

3820067608_d54d21176e_b.jpg

3820098710_5e63e640fa_b.jpg

4060563740_096bc3c3c3_b.jpg

3819480644_9a84f41a7c_b.jpg

3739325209_0f7d395015_b.jpg

oooo flareeee and schmoke <3

3740187960_cf00ee501f_b.jpg

w/ flash:

3818678161_20f33b18c1_b.jpg

during the day at a smaller aperture, still crisp as hell.

3748762315_469104582e_b.jpg

and another 135L shot (during the day)

4076523511_a69f688c83_b.jpg

and Rikan- wow... stepping to a hasselblad
pimp.gif
and don't lie, you knowyou want that 70-200 2.8 =P, i say get that > the f/4.

^^^^^Yo Rikan....what is the purpose of having the 5D when you have the MK2? Back up camera?

And people with the MK2, you guys never use their camera for video? This was done by my friend Phil that uses his 7D for primarily video (he's a filmer):

Thanks for all who responded on my questions. I'll forward the info over.

Picking 5 favorites from 09' is a great idea, not sure if everyone is playing along... it was difficult to pick but this is what I selected:

The first 2 actually taken with a Canon G5...

This one, truthfully not one of my favorite shots that I've taken in terms of... technique and quality BUT def. has to be here for an 09' review.

I like this one because it was multiple hand-held shots pani but I didn't get too much motion in the final and was able to stitch rather quickly.

Nothing special, but I did thisone for a NT assignments this year that involved patterns... which by the way BRING BACK ASSIGNMENTS! I will work on aChristmas/Holiday related for the 24th (hopefully).

I know, I know, a little OD in the PP, well I didn't PP much
laugh.gif
(besides move a couple of sliders) but it doesn't look "natural" but still, I like it.

Ok, breaking the rules, couple bonus shots (but in medium size
wink.gif
)

Can't forget my favorite and most willing subject, Avy Check...

You mad? LOL My bad, usually don't post this many at once.

As always feel free to C/C, neg. or positive, I'm good with it AND feel free to visit the Flickr page para mas!

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Thanks Bana. And some of those shots are my Bana faves, so it's really selling me on the lens!

do it!
wink.gif

you can find a good used copy for around 900, i buy all of my lenses used.

hmm i didnt know we were showing our favorite 5 of the year, ill play along as well, btw that first one is great.
Caught this picture of my grandma on her first trip around the lady of liberty, this picture meant alot to us, concidering the struggle my mother went thru toget us where we are at today, far away from all the violence of our country, colombia.
4047421548_69fec20dfe_b.jpg

Im sorry about this one, as this is the 3rd time i post it, but it goes down as one of my favorite for 09 too, I love this picture!
3758712293_f17e235c92_b.jpg

This is by far my favorite shot of 09, made explore on flickr and will actually be published in a uk based magazine called Photopromagazine, they are doing anissue on Strobist and wanted to use my shot for a spread on the magazine. Really psyched about this.
3737538441_a0713f66d0_b.jpg

this was a shot i took of my fiancees brother and his expectant GF, its the first baby we welcome to the family and my favorite maternity shot so far. I knowits 2 pictures but i paired them up to sort of include the entire family.
4092305520_07a9203f18_o.jpg

last but not least this spread i did for a friend of mines, it was her daughters first bday and she wanted to do a cupcake themed party so I took the portraitsfor her to display at the party.
4126824343_c123812da5_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom