The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

The new layout of NT looks great so far.....I have noticed that past photos shared by members via Flickr aren't showing. Does this mean we should directly upload here when posting?

Looking for some feedback from anyone on the Sony A7S II. I am looking at getting into taking 4K video and compiling videos of the various footage. I notice quiet a few of the people I follow on YouTube use them and the video looks amazing. Perhaps some people in here had a better experience with a different camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7s-ii/sony-a7s-iiA.HTM

haven't used the a7s2, but it is a very capable video camera especially in low light/dark situations...depending on what type of footage/use you are after or if you won't need the low light capabilities the panasonic gh5 (maybe even the 4) might be a better fit and the fuji xt-2/xt20 or sony a6500 might also be a good alternatives, but if you want that 35mm goodness for strictly for video, there isn't much that will give you the same look without compromising, though the a7r2 comes close (and has much better autofocus)...if you #doyourgoogles you will see there are pros & cons of each system, you may be willing to compromise on one or more things if the camera really addresses thing(s) you really need/want

haven't used the a7s2, but it is a very capable video camera especially in low light/dark situations...depending on what type of footage/use you are after or if you won't need the low light capabilities the panasonic gh5 (maybe even the 4) might be a better fit and the fuji xt-2/xt20 or sony a6500 might also be a good alternatives, but if you want that 35mm goodness for strictly for video, there isn't much that will give you the same look without compromising, though the a7r2 comes close (and has much better autofocus)...if you #doyourgoogles you will see there are pros & cons of each system, you may be willing to compromise on one or more things if the camera really addresses thing(s) you really need/want
Thanks I am looking to do video of cars in motion if that makes a difference. I will do my googles. LOL.

Figured out a bit more about that Filehub. I can transfer the RAW files to my phone and eventually to Lightroom Mobile it just takes 10 or so minutes. Got a birthday party this weekend hoping to grab some shots there and practice this process

So in SF, there was an unsanctioned skate event in the Mission District. A local brand promoted on IG and tons of skaters went. Long story short, people were bombing the hills and one of the head honchos from Thrasher Mag (Jake Phelps) goes flying down it and fell toward the end of the street. Cops and ambulance came down which caused a whole scene. From there, another kid gets hurt from a cop bumping into him and there was essentially a stand off between the two. It was all over the news that night but my photos somewhat went viral and it's the most liked photos I have ever posted on IG which oddly are the most bland as well. This is a case where the story made the photo but it was a crazy experience nonetheless.

phelpers-2.png

phelpers-1.png

Thanks I am looking to do video of cars in motion if that makes a difference. I will do my googles. LOL.

you might want to give the gh5 a serious look, it won't give you the same look as a the the 35mm format sensor of the sony (though you can make up some of the difference with speedboosters & really fast lenses), but it can shoot 4k @60 fps; which might be advantageous for shooting moving vehicles...

I think my card could be corrupted

just got back from a fantastic shoot I took 201 pics

I drove home so hype because that shoot gave me the motivation to not put my camera down

finally get home I see some old pics from a shoot I did last week which was odd because I formatted the card before I left so I just didn't think nothing of them and hit delete

that was about 75 pics and now my camera only has the last 75 pics

now I was thinking maybe the cpu showed the old images for some reason because they had the same file name, but at the same time that would still leave me 51 photos

I am so highly frustrated because idk what to do now, hard to recapture those moments

Good stuff up there with the Mount tam pics!

Fong-I saw that on the news, thought it was a bunch of skateboarders causing nonsense commotion but didn't really look into it lol. Dope to see your photos going viral though!

So I am sure I am late on this but when did Myspace Tom get so good at photography?!!! And only 4 years of shooting. This is seriously not fair.

https://www.instagram.com/myspacetom/

When you got the funds to get the best of the best equipment and probably a private jet to go to the best places it makes things much easier. He's in some great spots, you'd have to be a bumbling goof to mess up in some of those locations

When you got the funds to get the best of the best equipment and probably a private jet to go to the best places it makes things much easier. He's in some great spots, you'd have to be a bumbling goof to mess up in some of those locations
Was he officially affiliated with myspace, because if so he is certainly retired with 24 hours a day to focus on his passion. In 4 years of practice you are going to get good as well. Sucker for open road shots, would love to drive across country.

If I'm taking a picture of an off-white item with a white background, how do I remove the background so it appears that the item is "floating?" I know how to do it with darker items, can't figure out the lighter colored items though..

If I'm taking a picture of an off-white item with a white background, how do I remove the background so it appears that the item is "floating?" I know how to do it with darker items, can't figure out the lighter colored items though..
This might help, I am sure some of the experts will chime in.

I get so intimidated with Photoshop because there is SO MUCH to learn, let alone master.

Short answer I believe through layers, pick the layer with a shirt and remove the other layers.

Was he officially affiliated with myspace, because if so he is certainly retired with 24 hours a day to focus on his passion. In 4 years of practice you are going to get good as well. Sucker for open road shots, would love to drive across country.

If that's really myspacetom he def got time to do absolutely nothing but focus on finding the best place to take pics. And with that kind of attention to a craft he can most def make some great progress

The bastard took better photos out in Iceland than I did. Haha.

I think what I definitely don't have that a lot of other photographers might have is time. If I am traveling and I am at a spot, I have to shoot it as is and can't wait for it to look more "beautiful" with nice skies and what not. And honestly I don't care as much. I think photos don't always have to be shot during dawn or dusk but a lot of photographers will only shoot during those times. But I think if I had all that time to let mother nature take it's course, I could take better photos. That Tom guys is dope though. No shade to his work.

titang545 titang545 Thanks for that. Seems more advanced that I'm used to using GIMP, but I'll give it a try. I'm genuinely interested in learning photoshop.

titang545 titang545 Thanks for that. Seems more advanced that I'm used to using GIMP, but I'll give it a try. I'm genuinely interested in learning photoshop.
  1. Step 1 - Select the Image Background. Using the Fuzzy Select Tool select the part of the image that you wish to remove. ...
  2. Step 2 - Add Transparency to the Image. Add transparency to the image by using Layer > Transparency >Add Alpha Channel. ...
  3. Step 3 - Delete the Background. ...
  4. Step 4 - Smooth the Edges. ...
  5. Step 5 - Save the Image.

Question for you guys. I know lens are all subject to what you shoot but I was wondering if anyone thought this was a good deal. Found a guy on Craigslist that wants to trade a 35mm 1.4 for a 50mm 1.2. I've had the 50mm for a while and although I do use it for some odd portraits here and there, I wouldn't say it's enough for me to keep it. I have the 70-200mm now that I think will be my go to for that. Does anyone thing that is a good trade?

Question: Where does everyone get their batteries from? Need to replace my LP-E6 but don't want to drop $60 for a new one. Looking to get 2 of them

Question for you guys. I know lens are all subject to what you shoot but I was wondering if anyone thought this was a good deal. Found a guy on Craigslist that wants to trade a 35mm 1.4 for a 50mm 1.2. I've had the 50mm for a while and although I do use it for some odd portraits here and there, I wouldn't say it's enough for me to keep it. I have the 70-200mm now that I think will be my go to for that. Does anyone thing that is a good trade?

Are they both around the same price? I think the 50mm cost a little more since it's a 1.2. If it makes sense to you go for it but I'd keep the 50mm

Those of ya'll that shoot weddings, etc. How do ya'll dress? Might be a second shooter at a wedding this Saturday - I want to be comfortable but I don't want to just rock jeans and a tshirt (though I am considering it if it's acceptable).

Also, if ya'll don't follow danorst on IG I highly recommend it. This guy works wonders - and his bts on his story are awesome!

Those of ya'll that shoot weddings, etc. How do ya'll dress? Might be a second shooter at a wedding this Saturday - I want to be comfortable but I don't want to just rock jeans and a tshirt (though I am considering it if it's acceptable).

Also, if ya'll don't follow danorst on IG I highly recommend it. This guy works wonders - and his bts on his story are awesome!
Most I see are in dress pants and a button up shirt, the lowest I would go is khakis and a polo. I will check out his IG.

Edit: He takes shots of SoCal he already got my follow just for that alone.

Last edited:

All weddings I've been to the photographer wore a suit and tie. No jacket though.

Cool - appreciate it. Definitely intend on respecting the formality of the event. I guess I'll just bring an extra button up in case I work up too much of a sweat lol

Back
Top Bottom