The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^ im not sure what the deal is. whenever i upload a photo it always comes out to look out of focus. i even checked the images on my camera and in iPhoto just to make sure i wasn't taking them like that :lol:
the photographer and i share a mutual friend who told me she was trying to expand and needed extra help. once she heard about me, we met and she offered the opportunity. i just said volunteered because its gonna be unpaid for the month except for gas expenses and i also get to use the images i take in my portfolio. i really want to learn more so i think its a win/win.

Just got the new artillery in today. Came out to $2050 for the 6d and 24-105mm and now i have to add about $200 for the squaretrade warranty. Overall I think I did pretty well.

^ thanks. I used Adobe Lightroom to edit. Sometimes i felt like i was changing the picture too much. Almost like an IG pic w/ too many filters.

and I'm still contemplating on what lens to get next.

^ thanks. I used Adobe Lightroom to edit. Sometimes i felt like i was changing the picture too much. Almost like an IG pic w/ too many filters.

and I'm still contemplating on what lens to get next.
When I had that cam, for me I got the 18-55 kit lens next just cause I wanted wider. It didn't last long and I ended up replacing it with a 17-50 f/2.8 Tamron

^Nice pics up there for the first time using a dslr. That's a good set up you have there also, you can do a lot with it.

Nice! now set up a website or flickr or something and start posting! (and add me.)

My flickr stream is in my sig :wink:

My first time using an SLR so be easy. Wish i had all the equipment ya'll have but all i have is a Rebel t3i and a 50mm lens. Gotta start somewhere.

Man.....these suck!!!!

Haha.....nah dude. You definitely got a handle on shooting already. I am going to Treasure Island this weekend just because of that pic.

What would be a good beginner camera and lens?
I've always been interested and finally have money
To purchase a camera.

^How much do you guys usually pay the models? Never used a modeling site before so I don't know how it works if you pay the model directly or deal with an agency.

i just bought a camera and i was just going to use it more for pictures of my son and family, then meet people through IG and it just took off from there. 

What camera would you suggest for a beginner?

There's an abundance of choices out there for beginners. I started off with a Nikon D3200 which you can get a used one for under $500 with a kit lens if you look around. The D3100 is even cheaper but still for a beginner a great camera. There's also the D5100 which can be bought for around $300 with the kit lens but it doesn't stack up as well as the 3200. Most of your money is going to go into the glass so keep that in mind.

As far as Canon goes I think most people would suggest going with the Canon T2i or T3i. I don't have experience with those so can't speak for myself.

I'd suggest going with a brand in which you will stay with so that when you get the glass you can use it for the next body. Unless you're upgrading to full frame then some of the glass won't work. I think it goes

1. Photographer
2. Glass
3. Body

Right?

What would be a good beginner camera and lens?
I've always been interested and finally have money
To purchase a camera.

This is a question that gets asked a lot in this thread. Like in my previous post there are literally A LOT of choices, you just need to do some homework and go from there honestly.

Currently have a 35mm 1.8 and 105mm Micro shooting on DX. Debating on whether to pick up the 50 1.8 or 85 1.8. Thoughts?

Currently have a 35mm 1.8 and 105mm Micro shooting on DX. Debating on whether to pick up the 50 1.8 or 85 1.8. Thoughts?

What would you use them for; general photography? Are you planning on moving to full frame any time soon? Serious questions :smile:

What would you use them for; general photography? Are you planning on moving to full frame any time soon? Serious questions :smile:

Yup just general stuff. Not planning on moving to a FF for a year or two but I will eventually, after I build up some lenses.

Yup just general stuff. Not planning on moving to a FF for a year or two but I will eventually, after I build up some lenses.

Word. I would advise against getting an 85mm for a DX body unless you want that telephoto focal length. It'll a 120mm full frame equivalent. 50mm woudl be about 75mm. I'm personally not a fan of anything above 50mm (FF) unless I'm shooting portraits. I don't do any wildlife or sports photography, so longer lenses are out for me.

If I were you, I would try to get the 28mm f/1.8G since the 24mm would be a bit too expensive. Unless you want to get the D versions of the 20mm, 24mm, etc.

With all that said, that's just my opinion. Check if you can borrow or rent lenses from somewhere, and see how you like them!

Last edited:

Word. I would advise against getting an 85mm for a DX body unless you want that telephoto focal length. It'll a 120mm full frame equivalent. 50mm woudl be about 75mm. I'm personally not a fan of anything above 50mm (FF) unless I'm shooting portraits. I don't do any wildlife or sports photography, so longer lenses are out for me.

If I were you, I would try to get the 28mm f/1.8G since the 24mm would be a bit too expensive. Unless you want to get the D versions of the 20mm, 24mm, etc.

With all that said, that's just my opinion. Check if you can borrow or rent lenses from somewhere, and see how you like them!

My opinion... Only because I am going thru this etc. If you plan to go full frame at all, you are better off buying FX lenses. Don't waste your money playing the catch up game down the road. Right now I have my kit, 55-200, and 35mm 1.8 sitting on my desk waiting to be moved. I replaced the 35mm 1.8 with the 28mm 1.8 because it is an FX lens. I suggest you get the 50mm as your next lens, because it is an amazing lens and when you switch to full frame you should have one in your arsenal. What are they 200 now? The 85mm and 28mm are like 500 and 700, from a financial standpoint that's a no brainer to me. You have a 105 micro, so you are covered for distance even if it is a bit far, but you can make that work. But if I were you I would get rid of the 35mm if you plan to go full frame because it won't benefit you unless you want to shoot in DX mode.

So would the 28mm 1.8G and 50mm 1.8G compliment each other on cropped as well as FF?

Edit: Also, I went to a store to see the 50mm 1.8G yesterday and wasn't too impressed with the build quality, when moved it felt and sounded like there was something loose inside of it. I asked for another 50 and same thing. Is this common with this lens?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom