The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Unintentionally ended up bringing my camera to the bar for my 21st...

Also, I might be going to a Holi event in NYC this Saturday. I want to take my camera but I've seen how messy it can get. Do any of you have any experience shooting Holi?

Unintentionally ended up bringing my camera to the bar for my 21st...

Also, I might be going to a Holi event in NYC this Saturday. I want to take my camera but I've seen how messy it can get. Do any of you have any experience shooting Holi?

happy belated! i actually came across a medium-largish crowd celebrating holi a few weekends ago i didn't stay long nor take part so i was away from the fray #bars...and it definitely gets messy, especially if you are involved in the goings on, i saw a couple a people with cameras out but they were conspicuously, relatively free of the caked on paint most others were; i would think it be hard to shoot & participate, especially if worried about your camera? maybe get a case & lens filter for protection???

oh em gee by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

happy belated! i actually came across a medium-largish crowd celebrating holi a few weekends ago i didn't stay long nor take part so i was away from the fray #bars...and it definitely gets messy, especially if you are involved in the goings on, i saw a couple a people with cameras out but they were conspicuously, relatively free of the caked on paint most others were; i would think it be hard to shoot & participate, especially if worried about your camera? maybe get a case & lens filter for protection???
Thanks man! 

I've never been to one of these things before so I definitely wanna participate without being preoccupied with my stuff. I do wanna bring my camera for whatever else I end up doing besides Holi, so maybe I'll just bring a backpack and keep it in there and just take the Holi pics with my phone. I don't have any protective cases or anything like that, so hopefully my stuff will be safe in my backpack wrapped up in plastic bags and maybe a towel lol.

What type of pics would you guys use a 18-55mm VR autofocus lens for?

Going on a trip tomorrow and my gf is gonna give me her Nikon D3100 to use and thats the lens she has.

Going on a trip tomorrow and my gf is gonna give me her Nikon D3100 to use and thats the lens she has.

What kind of a trip is it? 18-30mm can be used for landscapes, buildings, scenery, if you're going with someone you can take pictures with them, portraits, pretty much anything.

What kind of a trip is it? 18-30mm can be used for landscapes, buildings, scenery, if you're going with someone you can take pictures with them, portraits, pretty much anything.

Visiting my homeboy in Abu Dhabi and I'll probably go to Dubai on Saturday. I mainly wanna take pics of buildings, cars, and landscapes.

Not trying to sound dumb but you can set a 15-55mm lens to stay within a certain range?

Last edited:
Visiting my homeboy in Abu Dhabi and I'll probably go to Dubai on Saturday. I mainly wanna take pics of buildings, cars, and landscapes.

Not trying to sound dumb but you can set a 15-55mm lens to stay within a certain range?
Wait, you mean an 18-55mm right? I've never heard of a 15-55mm, but the 18-55 is the standard kit lens. In my opinion the 18-55 is very versatile and should be fine for your needs. 

As for making the lens stay within a certain range, I'm not quite sure what you mean. The focal length should stay the same as long as you don't twist the barrel of the lens.

Wait, you mean an 18-55mm right? I've never heard of a 15-55mm, but the 18-55 is the standard kit lens. In my opinion the 18-55 is very versatile and should be fine for your needs. 

As for making the lens stay within a certain range, I'm not quite sure what you mean. The focal length should stay the same as long as you don't twist the barrel of the lens.

My bad, I had 18-55 in the original post. I asked about the ranges because @yanky mentioned 18-30mm, I thought the camera/lens had some feature that restricted it, nvm that then. Thanks.

My bad, I had 18-55 in the original post. I asked about the ranges because @yanky mentioned 18-30mm, I thought the camera/lens had some feature that restricted it, nvm that then. Thanks.
Yeah no problem. I'm pretty new to DSLRs myself so restriction might actually be a thing, but as far as I know there is no such feature. That lens should be more than adequate for snapping quick pics during your trip. Sounds like fun, have a blast!

@DaBottom305 Wanted to just answer your PM here. I would say the best thing for you to get is a tripod first. A lot of my shots in Chicago were practically all mounted on a tripod. It's sort of a pain to setup but the rewards are so worth it. Remember, if you do shoot on a tripod, drop your ISO down so you won't get grain on your pictures. And if you do try to do it handheld, try and just set your camera on a sturdy ledge or the ground. If need be, you can always try and increase your ISO high and shoot pics hand held. You might get a lot of blurred shots but since this is digital, you can shoot over and over again till you get one clear one.

Also if you have means, try and get a new lens too. The kit lens you have will get you some good outdoor shots but night ones will be the challenge. But yeah, a tripod and a good lens will be your best bet for shooting with that camera.

I just copped a tripod yesterday at Best Buy for $30. I should've came in here sooner. I been going through most of you guy's pages and reading the settings. lol

^^^^^^^If you haven't shot a lot, you can try and shoot on other modes other then manual. Try aperture priority (av). Just change your F-stop so it is more open (I think you kit would be f/3.5) and just shoot away without changing anything. At night it might be more of an issue but day time, I'd use AV mode for sure.

Thanks man! 

I've never been to one of these things before so I definitely wanna participate without being preoccupied with my stuff. I do wanna bring my camera for whatever else I end up doing besides Holi, so maybe I'll just bring a backpack and keep it in there and just take the Holi pics with my phone. I don't have any protective cases or anything like that, so hopefully my stuff will be safe in my backpack wrapped up in plastic bags and maybe a towel lol.

I mean, I dont think it'll seriously damage your camera, but it is messy and from what I saw, I doubt you'll want to have a dslr hanging around your neck...

Yea I meant you can set it anywhere between 18-30mm, but in those focal points is when the lens will be more open vs being zoomed in at 50mm. Not sure if that makes sense. Hope you get some good shots in dubai! Always wanted to go there, the car scene there is :x. So much winning with that oil money.

I recently started following this guy who has some killer shots of dubai's scenery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcheong/

Have fun on your trip and take lots of photos! If you can get into the Burj Khalifa or Burj Al Arab :smokin You sir are winning.

Last edited:
^^^^Damn. That dude is tight. I hardly follow people on Flickr aside from people here but I have to add that dude. He literally only shoots at blue hour. Dude is dope though.

^^^^^^^If you haven't shot a lot, you can try and shoot on other modes other then manual. Try aperture priority (av). Just change your F-stop so it is more open (I think you kit would be f/3.5) and just shoot away without changing anything. At night it might be more of an issue but day time, I'd use AV mode for sure.

Funny, the first vid I watched about A,S,M was from dude's tutorial. I showed my coworker that Chicago pic and he mentioned the exposure thing. Gonna watch this vid in a bit.

Yea I meant you can set it anywhere between 18-30mm, but in those focal points is when the lens will be more open vs being zoomed in at 50mm. Not sure if that makes sense. Hope you get some good shots in dubai! Always wanted to go there, the car scene there is :x. So much winning with that oil money.

I recently started following this guy who has some killer shots of dubai's scenery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcheong/

Have fun on your trip and take lots of photos! If you can get into the Burj Khalifa or Burj Al Arab :smokin You sir are winning.

Gonna try to get as much as I can. First time out of the country as an adult and I'm there for 7 days so I'm gonna take full advantage of the scenery.

Dude's Flickr is nice! He's lucky as hell to be getting on helipads to take those shots lol

A few shots that I've taken. Any feedback is appreciated good or bad.

Found out about that dude Daniel Cheong after reading an interview with Tom (Myspace dude) who now takes really good photos and travels the world

http://petapixel.com/2012/09/13/interview-with-tom-anderson-co-founder-of-myspace/

dabottom305 dabottom305 make sure you check out the huuuge mosque at Abu Dhabi, and at Dubai.. you got the Burj Al Arab, Burj Khalifa, Sheikh Zayed Road ( get a car with a sunroof!) Dubai Mall.. tons of places to go to be honest, you could also use the train station to get easy access to places. enjoy :nthat:

^Who knew that Tom would get into photography. Interesting...Daniel Cheong's shots are :smokin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom