The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I'm starting to feel a little burnt out so it's time to come up with a personal project and take a break from all the commercial/fitness stuff I've been shooting. Here are some shots using the B/W mode on the Sony A7:

14283292501_1075e1fda5_c.jpg

14306801823_3670d141c0_c.jpg

14286115764_c28dafde2b_c.jpg

14283294811_9e6c602d95_c.jpg

Before

After

I'm trying to straighten the actual photo up. I can tell the bus is sitting at a slant and it wasn't kneeling.

Top one looks more straight. You are really trying to balance the background parts. Notice the trees are at a slant now. Top one feels about right.

I would say the bottom one is more straight to me. The posts are my reference point. Those are pretty straight on the second photo as well. You never know if the trees were slanted, but the poles are supposed to be straight!

Some long exposure shots taken at Joshua Tree during Memorial Day. I'm still learning how to shoot stars, so the first pic has minor star trails since it was a 30 sec exposure. Finally started using the "rule of 500" to keep the star trails from showing when the milky way popped out.

IMG_0490-2 by MrGoldar, on Flickr

Milky Way Memorial Day 2014 by MrGoldar, on Flickr

I probably should have worked on the noise level of the first pic... I'll reedit later.

Nice shots as usual in here!

Few recents... All shot with T2i + 50mm f/1.4 USM

Wow, fantastic job on these.

Some long exposure shots taken at Joshua Tree during Memorial Day. I'm still learning how to shoot stars, so the first pic has minor star trails since it was a 30 sec exposure. Finally started using the "rule of 500" to keep the star trails from showing when the milky way popped out.

I probably should have worked on the noise level of the first pic... I'll reedit later.

BEAUTIFUL!

Beginner shots from Yosemite National Park. Comments/criticism welcomed

Wooden Path by tecato47, on Flickr

Cloudy by tecato47, on Flickr

IMG_1068 by tecato47, on Flickr

IMG_1008 by tecato47, on Flickr

IMG_0977 by tecato47, on Flickr

IMG_0887 by tecato47, on Flickr

really liked this shot but the blue glare kills it
Setting sun by tecato47, on Flickr

Complete photography noob so any and all comments/criticism is appreciated! :D

Very awesome pics fellow newbie lads!

Last edited:

Very cool! 2nd one is my favorite. What is pitch black when you were taking the photos?

Very cool! 2nd one is my favorite. What is pitch black when you were taking the photos?

Thanks! Yea it was pitch black. Even around 10pm, shooting towards where the sun set, you would still get some unwanted light. Luckily Milky Way was in the direction we were shooting, so my homie actually got a time lapse of the Milky Way moving across the sky.

turn off your flash

I feel like without flash, the pics come out darker and unable to see anything. I tried lowering the shutter speed as much as possible and aperture as well. Usually try to avoid messing with ISO. (Indoor pictures)

Learning how to shoot raw, here are some photos

Glad to see you're trying to shoot RAW.

Have you edited your photos at all? Shooting RAW without editing it is absolutely pointless. (Not saying that you didn't edit.)

With the #3 and #5 photos, you can bump up the exposure or whites, or bring down the shadows or blacks. #3 is more underexposed than than #5 though.

With #4 you can definitely tone down the highlights or whites because it does seem a little blown.

You have a lot more control with editing when shooting RAW. Experiment and see what you get!

Last edited:
Well all those pics haven't been edited yet, I've been trying to read up on some free editing software that's Mac compatible....any suggestions?

Eddstarr, you're heading in the right direction. First thing to understand is that RAW is just a format of how the pic is saved. It's best for post processing as said above. Learn to read a histogram. It will be your best friend. Don't be scared to bump up your ISO. I hate grain also and try not to shoot over 800 ISO but I will bump up the exposure in LR. Might be the same as doing it in the camera but for some reason I feel more comfortable with it that way. Keep shooting. If you want to use flash, get a speedlight and learn to bounce your flash. I suggest a Yongnuo yn560II it's like 60 bucks and manual but you will learn quickly.

Using the stock lens that came with the nikon d3100 I believe it's the AF-S 18-55mm. I have yet to upgrade. Probably willing to upgrade once I can take better pictures with this one :/

Using the stock lens that came with the nikon d3100 I believe it's the AF-S 18-55mm. I have yet to upgrade. Probably willing to upgrade once I can take better pictures with this one :/

Bro I've had my D3200 for exactly one week today and I'm buying a "nifty 50" tomorrow :lol:. We're in the same boat, man. We'll get better.

Back
Top Bottom