The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Snapped this last night while getting new ink. My artist name is @saint_357 on IG if
anyone wants to check out his work.

I am. I'm saving up for a new camera now and being a Nikon shooter my options are get a D600 from digitalrev.com, get a D610, or a D800. The D810 is $300 more than the D800 which I wouldn't mind. I just don't know if I should get the 610 or the 810.
Def intersted in the D810 myself. Think I am going to trade up for it, and part ways w/ the D800.

^^^^Nice dude.

And why did Nikon come out with he D810? Was there something wrong with the D800 like how it was with the D600? Just makes me wonder if Canon is going to make a Mark 4 when the Mark 3 is fine as is.

^^^^Nice dude.

And why did Nikon come out with he D810? Was there something wrong with the D800 like how it was with the D600? Just makes me wonder if Canon is going to make a Mark 4 when the Mark 3 is fine as is.

I think the 810 was to replace the 800E. Not sure what issue it was having but it would make sense from a standpoint of the only difference between the 800 and E was the AA filter. The 810 has slightly better specs than the 800 and doesn't have the AA filter in it. Mark 4 is rumored for 2015.

I think the 810 was to replace the 800E. Not sure what issue it was having but it would make sense from a standpoint of the only difference between the 800 and E was the AA filter. The 810 has slightly better specs than the 800 and doesn't have the AA filter in it. Mark 4 is rumored for 2015.

You're right. It was to specifically replace the 800/E. Nothing wrong with the 800/E. They're amazing cameras. Just due for an upgrade.

Anyone have experience with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM SLR Lens?

Really thinking about getting one. But I was also looking at the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens.

Which one would be a better buy as a replacement for my kit 18-55mm kit lens?

I'm not a Canon shooter, but I don't think either of these are really a replacement for the kit lens. 10-20mm is wider than the kit lens for the most part and then the 17-85mm has covers the kit focal length and then some, but the aperture is smaller than the kit lens. It's like taking one step forward and one step back. Not really improving much from the specs side of things. I can't speak on image quality, but when you invest in glass you should be improving something (which you didn't mention why you wanted the new lens). What do you shoot, and what limitations do you have with your current lens? You seem to want zoom lenses over prime lenses. That's fine, but what are you shooting and on what body?

Repped for the feedback.

I pretty much want a zoom because I want to be able to cover both close ups and far shots, while upgrading to a new lens that has a wider angle shooting range.

I want to get into more landscape/cityscape photography but I also want to take close up shots of my family/random findings when necessary.

I have a 600D so its crop censored.

So basically looking into one do it all lens?

Budget?

I currently own this as my "replacement"

Amazon product ASIN B002LVUIXA
And it's working out so far.

Last edited:
^^^^Nice dude.

I think the 810 was to

Budget?

That is an upgrade over the kit because of the constant 2.8 aperture. I think his main goal is to have more zoom range but what he was looking at wasn't much of an upgrade.

Does anybody use Nextgen Gallery for Wordpress themes? I'm annoyed because I am trying to find the best way to display my images online and it keeps messing up. Any suggestions?

^^^^Nice dude.

I think the 810 was to

Budget?

That is an upgrade over the kit because of the constant 2.8 aperture. I think his main goal is to have more zoom range but what he was looking at wasn't much of an upgrade.

You could go prime. If you're coo with not having AF Rokinon/Samyang make excellent prime lenses for a great price.

85mm

Amazon product ASIN B0025EWXEU
14mm

Amazon product ASIN B003VSGQPG
Can always install an AF chip if need be.

Maybe grab a Sigma 35mm for something in between. It'll give you around 50mm since you're cropped.

I also own a Tokina 12-24

Amazon product ASIN B001LD51H2
Get's the job done.

Last edited:
^^^^Nice dude.

i want to say that the main reason for the d810 is it supposed to shoot better video and the sensor is different, if you have a d800/e and only shoot stills you probably don't need to upgrade...both nikon & canon seem to be content with the incremental upgrades; relying on system loyalty...i'm sure the d810 is a GREAT camera & whatever canon drop will be great as well, but i read that both their sales of p&s as well as their dslr lines are in decline (though i think one or both may have actually made more money in '13 because of higher pricepoints) can't too many being super excited about the new d810

my dad preparing the fish.

nice shots, kinda wish these were in color though or in kept b&w maybe if they were even closer in or maybe getttng more of your og in the frame? (torso, or like a portrait shot) only because these are more or less the same framing (i imagine logistics of photographing someone welding a knife probably doesn't make composing a picture easy though)

got a few old (new to me) wide angle lenses, a 24mm 2.8 that does close focus & a 12mm 5.6, where almost everything is looks to be in focus (until you see it on your screen, that is...) pics:

Dudley station by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

aces by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

think by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fong, I cant imagine how good a Mark 4 would be. Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to Canon. Makes me re think about getting the D810 since Canon is going to be all over it on building a better beast.
Anyone here into making videos?

Last edited:
nice shots, kinda wish these were in color though or in kept b&w maybe if they were even closer in or maybe getttng more of your og in the frame? (torso, or like a portrait shot) only because these are more or less the same framing (i imagine logistics of photographing someone welding a knife probably doesn't make composing a picture easy though)

yeah i shouldve done some portrait shots but i wanted to focus on the hands. still got lots to learn lol. i appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
Spent the weekend at my girls cabin. Here are two from yesterday. Got a lot more on the way.
Nice shots. I'm probably in the minority but I actually prefer the look of the water in the second one. The "creamy" water look never really appealed to me.

Back
Top Bottom