The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

you'd prolly be better off with the 35mm, just because it is a bit wider and in theory should be a little more flexible for different types of photos (and if you are on a crop sensor it would give you a field of view just about equivalent to 50mm on full frame, which is pretty close to how we naturally see things) which, consequently also means you can use slower shutter speeds for those low light situations...the 50mm on a crop gives a field of view of a longer (about 75mm) lens and narrower view; this can make it difficult to hand hold with slower shutter speeds...

It's really going to come down to preference. I say rent them both. My experience was that the 35mm wasn't useful for how I shoot and it was too close to the 50mm so I went with the 28 to give me a wider shot if I needed it.

In all honesty I would still go with the 50mm. It gives you a bit more range so that you don't have to be right up on the kids.

Would buying both be worthwhile?

Also looking to eventually get a better zoom lens.

if your contemplating a better zoom, maybe that's a better investment? especially if you want to snag pics of your little ones at events/playgrounds easily? if you can snag a constant 2.8 that might be the best move? not too familiar with pricing on those, but i'd suspect they go for a bit more than those prime lens...

you'd prolly be better off with the 35mm, just because it is a bit wider and in theory should be a little more flexible for different types of photos (and if you are on a crop sensor it would give you a field of view just about equivalent to 50mm on full frame, which is pretty close to how we naturally see things) which, consequently also means you can use slower shutter speeds for those low light situations...the 50mm on a crop gives a field of view of a longer (about 75mm) lens and narrower view; this can make it difficult to hand hold with slower shutter speeds...

It's really going to come down to preference. I say rent them both. My experience was that the 35mm wasn't useful for how I shoot and it was too close to the 50mm so I went with the 28 to give me a wider shot if I needed it.

definitely, i'm just guessing with kids, going wider might be better? 35mm is kind of in the middle, little too wide for somethings, not quite wide enough for others, so i can see it maybe not working for some; but i think on a crop sensor camera it is quite nice to be able to fit more in the frame without being truly wide angle...

I think it comes down to if you think you will upgrade your camera to a full frame. I owned both at the same time. 35mm is for DX (crop sensor) cameras, and the 50 is for FX (full frame) cameras. Both will work on either type of camera, but the 35 will give you a strong vignette if used on the FX camera unless you shoot in DX mode. Doing that will give you less quality and defeats the purpose of using a FX body. The 50mm will work great on the DX camera, but it is along the lines of shooting 75mm. If you upgrade to an FX body in the future, you have that base covered. I replaced my 35mm with the 28mm f/1.8 because I plan to switch to an FX camera. I shoot with a D5100 right now.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't envision upgrading to a full frame any time soon, if ever.

I really just trying to be that dad who has a decent camera to take good pics of his boys growin up, doin all the things kids do.

Go with a 35 then.

OPINIONS WANTED:

Looking to get my first non-kit lens for my D5300...should I go with:

A. 35mm f/1.8

B. 50mm f/1.8

I think it comes down to if you think you will upgrade your camera to a full frame. I owned both at the same time. 35mm is for DX (crop sensor) cameras, and the 50 is for FX (full frame) cameras. Both will work on either type of camera, but the 35 will give you a strong vignette if used on the FX camera unless you shoot in DX mode. Doing that will give you less quality and defeats the purpose of using a FX body. The 50mm will work great on the DX camera, but it is along the lines of shooting 75mm. If you upgrade to an FX body in the future, you have that base covered. I replaced my 35mm with the 28mm f/1.8 because I plan to switch to an FX camera. I shoot with a D5100 right now.
No it doesn't. Image quality is still the same, the resolution is just cropped.

No it doesn't. Image quality is still the same, the resolution is just cropped.
Shooting 10-12mp isnt the same as 24-36mp. Pictures will have less detail which to me means that the image quality isnt the same. Why pay for a 24+mp camera to shoot at half the resolution? As a portrait photographer I'd rather not for editing purposes. Also cropping after the DX crop will lower the mp count. He would be better off with a DX camera than an FX camera shooting DX.

Shooting 10-12mp isnt the same as 24-36mp.
Correct the resolution is different.

Pictures will have less detail which to me means that the image quality isnt the same.
Incorrect. There is no quality lost in the image.

Your sensor has not changed when capturing the image, just the area captured. Do you see a difference in quality of whats in the blue box compared to whats in the red?

y0CnCYQ.jpg

Fong, I cant imagine how good a Mark 4 would be. Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to Canon. Makes me re think about getting the D810 since Canon is going to be all over it on building a better beast.
Anyone here into making videos?

That's all I want to do is cinematography. Wish we had our own thread. Tried in music to no avail. Open world films etc made me want to make my own

finally got LightRoom lol

i never did any post ever. will finally start to play around with that.

should i remove my JPG condom and shoot RAW?

any good tuts for lightroom, i like thoes matte type looks on photos, makes it look dramatic

Last edited:

Your sensor has not changed when capturing the image, just the area captured. Do you see a difference in quality of whats in the blue box compared to whats in the red?

y0CnCYQ.jpg

Indeed that is cropped... BUT to take that same exact picture in DX mode you will then be shooting a lower resolution picture

Looking to buy a DSLR as a beginner camera, I've been doing heavy research, watching tons of reviews, and have narrowed my options down to the Canon T3i and the nikon d3200. Both under 600. Leaning towards the t3i but haven't made up my mind yet. Any opinions? Thanks

y0CnCYQ.jpg

Indeed that is cropped... BUT to take that same exact picture in DX mode you will then be shooting a lower resolution picture

that is only true on a full frame camera, there is no "loss" of quality on a cropped sensor from using full frame lenses, in practice you should get a better image because you are 'wasting' the larger image projection where sharpness & light falloff; using only what is usually the sharpest portion of the lens...though technically not 'optimized' for a cropped sensor

finally got LightRoom lol

i never did any post ever. will finally start to play around with that.

should i remove my JPG condom and shoot RAW?

any good tuts for lightroom, i like thoes matte type looks on photos, makes it look dramatic

I started shooting RAW 2-3 years ago and never went back.

Check youtube, there's a lot of solid tutorials.

If you're looking into presets, check the VSCO ones. Deviantart also has a good amount of free ones.

^ those NYC pics are so dope 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

just got a Canon rebel t3. its my first camera.

some shots ive taken. i have no clue what im doing half of the time lol

[COLOR=#red]Found an in depth video about my cam the a6000. It's by Gary Fong a well respected pro photog who also manufactures accessories for cameras. He's in love with it and he owns high end Nikons, Canons, and both the A7 and A7R Full Frames.

This camera is so advanced and I'm still trying to figure it out. It truly has a stupid fast autofocus...it literally snaps 11fps while focusing continuously between each of the shots at a full 24 MP. I thought it was hype until I actually tried using it. Also the continuos autofocus is fully available while recording in Full HD. Just incredible. Please find another camera that has that capability for under $5k. Also the autofocus covers %92 of the sensor. How Sony managed to cram all this innovation and performance with a relatively large APS-C sensor for $800 is beyond me. With all the tech in this rig it could easily sell for $1600+. Fuji and Panasonic high end mirrorless are costing much more with less features and with the smaller Micro 4/3 sensors. Also with the metabones adapter it can use Nikon, Canon, and Leica lenses.

Somebody in here mentioned what's Sony's plan with cameras...well IMO they are simply upping the game as far as innovation and attempting to take digital cameras to the next level...and they are quite capable of doing so...this the company that invented portable music players (Walkman), CDs, BluRay, and Playstation :lol:

[/COLOR]

a little to underexposed for my liking.

great composition tho!

[COLOR=#red]Yeah, I haven't made any out of the camera post production edits yet. I'll tend to shoot underexposed sometimes because it's easier to adjust it's easier to adjust for underexpoure than overexposure and I can do more with it in postprod. Thanks bro![/COLOR]

that is only true on a full frame camera, there is no "loss" of quality on a cropped sensor from using full frame lenses, in practice you should get a better image because you are 'wasting' the larger image projection where sharpness & light falloff; using only what is usually the sharpest portion of the lens...though technically not 'optimized' for a cropped sensor

That is 100%. All I was saying is that if he planned to go with an FX camera in the future then he should just go with the 50mm because it is an FX lens. I shoot all FX lenses on my D5100. Got rid of the 35mm because Im upgrading soon.

y0CnCYQ.jpg

Right. The resolution has changed. The image quality has not. If you print both of those pictures at 240ppi there will be no change in image quality.

Back
Top Bottom