The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Yo xXOkAYplaYerXx.....what is the post processing like with your photos? I feel like that is something I want to achieve yet always kind of fall short when IPS some of mine. Thanks.

I have a question. I'm thinking of renting a fisheye from lensrentals.com. Is the site legit? If so, which would be the best one to rent to use for atalent show on campus. I have a canon rebel xs. thanksss

On a rebel you can use either the sigma 10mm Or the canon 15mm ef, it all comes down to how much distortion is good for your taste, the 15mm will not show muchdistortion as opposed to the sigma 10mm since you are shooting with a 1.6x crop factor.

Originally Posted by XX3forever

4183101099_a8598349a8_b.jpg
Damn, this flick got me...

How do you make something appear as if it's hovering in a picture. I saw this picture of some dunks, and it was as if they were hovering in mid air. Istheir a technique to this, and are there instructions?

What happened to the old thread?

Well anyways i just bought the Panasonic Lumix ts1. Bout to go on vacation and needed a P & S. its waterproof with a leica lens so i bought it.
4186278061_8a2e21264f.jpg
4187040328_fe7784f5f9.jpg
4187039870_124c7c0e0e.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for all of your kind comments, it's much appreciated. I really do look forward to contributing to this thread, as well as critiquing someof your pictures. I have been lurking since Vol. 1 and actually one of my first posts was in Vol. 1 and I posted this really cliche' macro picture of aflower and another one of the grass and the sky. I got some decent feedback for it and decided hey, let me try to get more into this. It's taken my awhile, but I have finally got some decent equipment and so I am more willing to go out and shoot as well as share. Take it from me though, DO NOT EVER thinkthat you need an DSLR to take great pictures or to become a good photographer. Don't jump the gun and immediately get a camera...read up and learn thebasics. Know the correlation between aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, know how your camera works..etc. etc. Trust me, once you do get started, it makesphotography much more fun because you actually know what you are doing.
happy.gif
// end rant/lecture.

Anyways, the "Our People. Our Community"picture is actually a picture out of my set for a final project in a photo class. My theme for the portfoliois based upon images of those that are living on the street/are homeless. I got the idea from a man who did what was called the "Two Dollar project"He would walk around with his camera and for any homeless individual on the street, he would give 2 dollars to in return for a picture. I did the same thing,but it was honestly much harder than I expected. I found myself pacing back and forth trying to muster up the courage to take the shot...you honestly feelreally bad taking these pictures.

It was this quote that made me shy away from it more than anything: "Sometimes it's hard not to think of photography as an act of aggression.You're stopping people from the flow of their lives, you're cropping them from the space in which they live and have their meaning, you'rejuxtaposing them to something they didn't know they were next to. You're objectifying them according to your terms, not theirs - for who would chooseto be objectified? It's very complicated, but the fact is, most photographs reduce us. It's very easy to photograph a man and then later say,"This man represents the homeless." Too easy."
eyes.gif
frown.gif

Anyways, sorry for the long rant in here...I'll start posting more pictures and talking a little less.

Oh yeah, alot of what I see in here is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Great job guys.

a few things i had already posted in the old thread, but im re-upping them here.

4172260101_cf4a4b08a9_b.jpg

4162524120_b4bd6456b2_b.jpg

4145685563_07a5400f41_b.jpg

4146423412_30a16bb7d5_b.jpg

4159186677_d8dfd1265a_b.jpg

4159904396_d89d6dd377_b.jpg

once again, full size. haha i just love this one. right place, right time.

4157667306_c03a1fd187_b.jpg

that crazy object to the left is this amazing bike:
4157615800_1bc81e139d_b.jpg

4156863689_360c2196a6_b.jpg

IPOD IN THE SEAT!

4156879807_c2f91c3a28_b.jpg

4156872733_60d563e2ec_b.jpg

(sorry if im flooding, is there a limit now?)

Originally Posted by XX3forever

Hey guys, thanks for all of your kind comments, it's much appreciated. I really do look forward to contributing to this thread, as well as critiquing some of your pictures. I have been lurking since Vol. 1 and actually one of my first posts was in Vol. 1 and I posted this really cliche' macro picture of a flower and another one of the grass and the sky. I got some decent feedback for it and decided hey, let me try to get more into this. It's taken my a while, but I have finally got some decent equipment and so I am more willing to go out and shoot as well as share. Take it from me though, DO NOT EVER think that you need an DSLR to take great pictures or to become a good photographer. Don't jump the gun and immediately get a camera...read up and learn the basics. Know the correlation between aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, know how your camera works..etc. etc. Trust me, once you do get started, it makes photography much more fun because you actually know what you are doing.
happy.gif
// end rant/lecture.

Anyways, the "Our People. Our Community"picture is actually a picture out of my set for a final project in a photo class. My theme for the portfolio is based upon images of those that are living on the street/are homeless. I got the idea from a man who did what was called the "Two Dollar project" He would walk around with his camera and for any homeless individual on the street, he would give 2 dollars to in return for a picture. I did the same thing, but it was honestly much harder than I expected. I found myself pacing back and forth trying to muster up the courage to take the shot...you honestly feel really bad taking these pictures.

It was this quote that made me shy away from it more than anything: "Sometimes it's hard not to think of photography as an act of aggression. You're stopping people from the flow of their lives, you're cropping them from the space in which they live and have their meaning, you're juxtaposing them to something they didn't know they were next to. You're objectifying them according to your terms, not theirs - for who would choose to be objectified? It's very complicated, but the fact is, most photographs reduce us. It's very easy to photograph a man and then later say, "This man represents the homeless." Too easy."
eyes.gif
frown.gif

Anyways, sorry for the long rant in here...I'll start posting more pictures and talking a little less.

Oh yeah, alot of what I see in here is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Great job guys.

You did a great job at capturing emotion and a story, I tried reading what the sign said, kind if hard to understand though...does he us the buckets asinstruments?...if he does this really shows all the wasted talent in our subways, parks, etc. Really powerful shot. Have you tried doing a black & whiteversion?

Okay....if that is the dude that is down near the Ferry Building where everyone skateboards....that is jacked up (I kind of don't think so cause I rememberhim driving a PT Cruiser). Not only is that guy been doing that for ages, he is pretty talented (unlike a lot of bums in SF.....the standing bum on the cratealways gets me) at what he does and is a nice guy. I and that picture on the sign is him and Will Smith when he was doing the Pursuit of Happyness. I have tomake sure to give dude some change if he is homeless now.

And in regards to the actual picture.....I like the photo but I always like to see the facial characteristics of actual homeless people. One of the most uniquethings about homeless people is just the way they look from the expressions on their face to the texture of their skin and the emotions of their eyes. I thinkXX3forever photo would help for that photo to be in black and white cause with the color, it feels really underexposed whether it was done purposely or not.What I liked about it the most though is the message on the taxi cab ("our people, our community) and how ironic it is that the actual community is thething that is making him homeless. Good stuff though.

Back
Top Bottom