The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Finally got my Nikon D3200 last night and man I almost called in at work I was having so much fun just shooting random stuff in the house

I'll post pics when I get home

traveling and some sneaker on feet shoot :smile:

Sweet. Well if you're looking for a tripod similar to the one you posted, I would go with the Gorillapod. Pretty versatile and very portable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...LS54rPo-sMCFQUdgQodE3UAOg&Q=&is=REG&A=details

And if you want to go for a more traditional route, I would go with one of these travel tripods. The great thing about these is that they all come with the heads. You don't have to buy anything separately unlike the more serious tripods.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_mkbfra4_bh_befree_compact_travel_photo.html Can personally recommend this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926379-REG/benro_a1350q1k_travel_tripod_kit.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1068330-REG/3_legged_thing_pvyv_vyv_magnesium_tripod_with.html

Sweet. Well if you're looking for a tripod similar to the one you posted, I would go with the Gorillapod. Pretty versatile and very portable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...LS54rPo-sMCFQUdgQodE3UAOg&Q=&is=REG&A=details

And if you want to go for a more traditional route, I would go with one of these travel tripods. The great thing about these is that they all come with the heads. You don't have to buy anything separately unlike the more serious tripods.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_mkbfra4_bh_befree_compact_travel_photo.html Can personally recommend this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926379-REG/benro_a1350q1k_travel_tripod_kit.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1068330-REG/3_legged_thing_pvyv_vyv_magnesium_tripod_with.html
thanks a lot fam for the reccomendation! appreciate that!

im going to stick with the gorillapod one, seems like the most portable beetween the others!

Sup guys. Just picked up a D3200, trying to get into photography a little more. SUPER new to this and have 0 experience with digital cameras so I'm having some difficulties with a lot. Just some questions:

1. Since it only came with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm.. is a 35mm or 50mm prime lens recommended? If not, what would you recommend?
2. Where do you guys usually store your photos after shooting? I'm uploading them to iPhoto, then deleting the pics off the memory card.
3. Does uploading the pictures from the camera to the computer affect the quality of the photo? I uploaded them to flickr and tumblr and they seem to be blurrier compared to iPhoto.

Also.. any tips, suggestions, or overall advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

1. Don't rush... play around with what you have until you understand how to use the camera and then re-assess your setup. Once I learned how to shoot in manual mode I learned that I wanted a bigger aperture for more like and shallower depth of field. This led my to buy the 35mm. Realized I wasn't getting enough focal length then bought the 50mm. Noticed a significant difference in quality because of the build construction and it happened to be built for full frame cameras. Things like what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot (your look and style), as well as where you ultimately want to end up as a photographer should determine your INVESTMENTS. Buy once, cry once.

2. I import my images to Lightroom and use it to catalogue my images that are stored on an external hard drive.

3. Compression. Flickr is pretty good about things and has good quality still. I may be wrong, but I haven't noticed a much of a difference. However I haven't used it in a while.

heyy,

back with another question
laugh.gif

i have a late 2011 macbook pro which i use to process all my dslr image currently running with hdd and its painfully SLOW processing on lightroom etc, even opening the apps take about 1min,

the question is, if i upgrade the hdd to ssd, will it be faster and smoother?

i know this kinda out of topic, but need a suggestion
grin.gif

thanks  alot!

Last edited:
heyy,

back with another question :lol:
i have a late 2011 macbook pro which i use to process all my dslr image currently running with hdd and its painfully SLOW processing on lightroom etc, even opening the apps take about 1min,

i know this kinda out of topic, but need a suggestion >D

thanks  alot!

SSD will definitely help out. You may want to look into upgrading your RAM (if possible) as well.

heyy,

thanks  alot!

yes.

Thanks a ton. One last thing.. Being a beginner, I'm having such a difficult time learning about the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. I just can't grasp and retain the information in order to use solely manual. Any tips on how you learned?

ISO changes your camera's sensitivity to light. The higher in ISO you go the more grainy your pictures will get. Try to keep this as low as possible unless grain and other artifacts are part of the look you are going for.

Shutter speed controls the length of time light is let into the camera. Shutter speed can do two things for your look... It can show or freeze motion in your image and it can also be used to prevent camera shake and give you a sharper image. Try to keep it at 1/focal length of your lens or faster to prevent the camera shake unless you have image stabilization in your lens.

Aperture controls how much light comes into the camera just like shutter speed does but determines how much of your image is in focus versus out of focus. The smaller the number means the bigger the opening and that gives you less stuff in focus depending on your distance to the subject. The bigger the number does the opposite. In regards to your distance in relation to subject, take your finger and hold it 6 inches from your nose and focus on it, then extend it as far from your nose as you can and notice how blurry then not as blurry things are while doing it.

All three of these determine proper exposure. It's a balancing act. If you have 99 marbles in 3 cups, no matter how you disburse them in the 3 cups you still have 99 marbles but the cups will feel and look different because of how many are in each cup. It is all about what look you are going for and how these variables will achieve it. I hope it makes sense. I suggest you tackle one at a time by playing with the camera and it will just click, pardon the pun.

ISO changes your camera's sensitivity to light. The higher in ISO you go the more grainy your pictures will get. Try to keep this as low as possible unless grain and other artifacts are part of the look you are going for.

Shutter speed controls the length of time light is let into the camera. Shutter speed can do two things for your look... It can show or freeze motion in your image and it can also be used to prevent camera shake and give you a sharper image. Try to keep it at 1/focal length of your lens or faster to prevent the camera shake unless you have image stabilization in your lens.

Aperture controls how much light comes into the camera just like shutter speed does but determines how much of your image is in focus versus out of focus. The smaller the number means the bigger the opening and that gives you less stuff in focus depending on your distance to the subject. The bigger the number does the opposite. In regards to your distance in relation to subject, take your finger and hold it 6 inches from your nose and focus on it, then extend it as far from your nose as you can and notice how blurry then not as blurry things are while doing it.

All three of these determine proper exposure. It's a balancing act. If you have 99 marbles in 3 cups, no matter how you disburse them in the 3 cups you still have 99 marbles but the cups will feel and look different because of how many are in each cup. It is all about what look you are going for and how these variables will achieve it. I hope it makes sense. I suggest you tackle one at a time by playing with the camera and it will just click, pardon the pun.

Repped! This are very useful!

That crash course about the basics though. Repped!

Repped! This are very useful!

That crash course about the basics though. Repped!

Each person's workflow is different. i use a strobe when I shoot so I start with my shutter speed. The reason is because I can't shoot faster than 1/200th of a second without a black bar creeping into my shot so I know that will always be the same. I want the lowest ISO as possible so I set it at 100 and then open my aperture as wide as I can go that will allow me the amount of depth of field I need for the shot. If i need more light then I will bump my ISO. ISO is bumped last and sparingly in my workflow.

I also use the lowest ISO with the lowest f-stop so I can shoot indoors with ease. Whenever I go outside i just increase my ISO. I'm using a prime lens btw.

heyy,

thanks  alot!

DEFINITELY upgrade your HDD to an SDD. It'll be like a whole new computer. Seriously. Try to max out your RAM too. I think it's 8GB. I have the same laptop as you and if you put an SDD in their with 8GB, you'll see the difference. Night and day.

Sup guys. Just picked up a D3200, trying to get into photography a little more. SUPER new to this and have 0 experience with digital cameras so I'm having some difficulties with a lot. Just some questions:

1. Since it only came with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm.. is a 35mm or 50mm prime lens recommended? If not, what would you recommend?
2. Where do you guys usually store your photos after shooting? I'm uploading them to iPhoto, then deleting the pics off the memory card.
3. Does uploading the pictures from the camera to the computer affect the quality of the photo? I uploaded them to flickr and tumblr and they seem to be blurrier compared to iPhoto.

Also.. any tips, suggestions, or overall advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Personally, I would get rid of the 55-200 and try and fund a 35mm. The 35mm will essentially be a standard 50mm because of your crop factor. You'll definitely get the bokeh you're looking for the the 35 over the zooms as well. 50mm isn't bad, but you're limited to the ~75mm field of view which may be a bit too narrow.

I store my photos on external hard drives and then delete if necessary.

Uploading photos from camera to computer will not affect the quality of the photo. Uploading them online will, however. That also depends on your upload settings. But as for them being blurrier, I'm not exactly sure. By blurrier, do you mean pixelated?

Back
Top Bottom