The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

With your budget, why not go full frame?

Eventually I plan on it.....I am assisting a friend with several weddings she has booked (she has several full frame Canons, Ill be using hers) but that isn't for a few more months (plan on going full frame with my earnings from those events) Plus I have a lot invested in crop sensor lenses (I have 7-8 at the moment).

I'd like to have some wiggle room to possibly pick up another lens or two....or possibly a more practical camera bag for more gear.

So I was involved in this photo project, and 6 of my photos ended up being used in this photo exhibit. A guy ended up contacting be about buying a portrait I took, but I'm not exactly sure how to price it. It's a 24" x 36" portrait. I'm pretty new to this stuff, but what do prints this size usually go for approximately?

Originally, the photos weren't for sale, but he ended up getting my number and I'm really just flattered at this point. I'm super excited to have the opportunity at making my first tangible dollars for my art. It cost 30$ to print, didn't take me too much time with the model, less than 20 shots, but about an hour and a half editing in PS/LR. A lot of people did tell me that that was their favorite photo in the exhibit though.

Is around $100 fair? Too little? Too much? We're all students if it matters, and I'm already assuming he'll try to beat me down on the price.

Any insight would definitely be appreciated.
Honestly, it's all about self-worth. If you know you deserve and it shows through your work and people recognize your ability, charge how much you feel. But at the same, gotta be realistic at where you're at with your photography career. If you new, just test the waters with pricing and when you get more well established and more comfortable, bump up the pricing. Since you a student, @mjbetch stated a reasonable price range.
Is that the incase bag? Came out some time ago? I was looking at the same bag when it came out. Ended up buying a tamrac though but that bag you got is spacious.

---

Nawzlew, is that you GuessWho?

Last edited:
That is a sweet bag!!!!:smokin

Honestly, it's all about self-worth. If you know you deserve and it shows through your work and people recognize your ability, charge how much you feel. But at the same, gotta be realistic at where you're at with your photography career. If you new, just test the waters with pricing and when you get more well established and more comfortable, bump up the pricing. Since you a student, @mjbetch
stated a reasonable price range.

Is that the incase bag? Came out some time ago? I was looking at the same bag when it came out. Ended up buying a tamrac though but that bag you got is spacious.

---

Nawzlew, is that you GuessWho?

That's the Incase bag. It's the grey version. I can toss my D5100 in there if I had to. I rearranged the dividers to fit things how I wanted. Once I get my last lens I will have to reconstruct it again.

No advice on pricing, but wanted to say congrats on getting in an exhibit and getting a buyer.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I'm really excited to be in this position right now.

$80-$100 sounds good. You did pay $30 to print, so at least $50 after cost sounds good.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll start in that range & hopefully we can agree to keep it somewhere in there.

Honestly, it's all about self-worth. If you know you deserve and it shows through your work and people recognize your ability, charge how much you feel. But at the same, gotta be realistic at where you're at with your photography career. If you new, just test the waters with pricing and when you get more well established and more comfortable, bump up the pricing. Since you a student, @mjbetch
stated a reasonable price range.

Thank man. I'll try that. I've got no idea where to start when it comes to pricing for prints or shoots lol. I just don't want to scare anyone off with prices, especially since I've always seen it as just a hobby.

[COLOR=#red]2015 991 Porsche 911 Turbo S. 0-60 in 2.6 seconds (Buggati Veyron is 2.5 seconds for comparison) , 0-100 in a little over 6 seconds, 1/4 Mile 10.9 seconds. Tied for 5th as the fastest to 60 mph out of all production cars. Yes I have driven this exact one in this picture at over triple digit speeds. So fast that it's hard to even quantify it. Not many people have had the chance to drive this car. Proud to say I'm in the 2 second club Plan to buy with European delivery in 18-24 months. :smokin [/COLOR]

Anyone know of any reasonably priced quality photo studios in NYC?

I'm looking to shoot some photos of my tshirts w/ models...

Good look...

Has anyone printed their photos to poster size? 24x36? What places do you guys recommend that are inexpensive but has a high quality?

Has anyone printed their photos to poster size? 24x36? What places do you guys recommend that are inexpensive but has a high quality?

Try Walmart, I'm not sure of the prices in your area, but they do have that size.

I got some printed that size, and after a friend's 10% discount it came up to $27.xx = 21/22 USD. Not sure if you'd consider that cheap.

How us the quality of those prints though from Walmart or even Costco?

If I went the cheap route, I'd look for online services just because there are a lot of places that have legit printers and will fix the photos so the colors all match. The local places can be expensive but they'll give you a proof unlike the chain stores. Remember, printing photos is way different then shooting. What you see on screen is now how it translates on paper or whatever you are printing on. I find it one of the most frustrating things ever and especially on skin color. Last thing you want is printing a photo where the people have Oompa Loompa skin.

Back
Top Bottom