The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just the standard one it came with, Havent really looked into anything yet

Any recommendations?
+1 for the 35 f/1.8G. I shoot with a D3200 as well and it's the first lens I picked up after I learned the basics with the kit lens. Definitely a lot of bang for your buck.

Whenever this question comes up I always suggest looking into two things... 1. What do you want to shoot/Your style and 2. Do you think you will ever go full frame. 35mm is a good lens. It didn't fit my style. I shoot portraits with alot of bokeh so I preferred the 50mm on the crop sensor. Oddly, since switching to full frame I like the 50mm's look, which is roughly what the 35mm is on the crop sensor. Few things attribute to why they perform differently but regardless of what you pick, you will like the new lens.

I got a question for anyone

Going through my Flickr for the 1st time on a laptop....my pics look like **** smh like they look great until you click on them

I don't have a laptop just yet, could it be because I'm doing the editing on my phone and it drops the quality down too low. Or will it be something I can't avoid when uploading online

Picked this up for an unbelievable price. Sony A6000 for them streets.

Last edited:
^^how much you paid? I have an associate thatis looking into purshasing one, but I'm not sure of the quality or how good they are.

Picked this up for an unbelievable price. Sony A6000 for them streets.

Nice pick up. I enjoy mine alot. Once I got the 50mm, I began to appreciate the camera. I moved my aperture from the dial on the top of the camera to the back of the camera and set the C1 button by the shutter to activate ISO. Those switches have made a world of difference also.

^^how much you paid? I have an associate thatis looking into purshasing one, but I'm not sure of the quality or how good they are.

The quality of the camera in my opinion is really good. Only disadvantage is the lack of glass for it. If I'm correct, there are adapters that allow autofocus of the lenses but nothing like that for Nikon glass only manual. Dope feature is definitely the wifi transfers.

Pros:
Typically sharper than their zoom counterparts
Cheaper
Lighter (in terms of weight)
Usually have larger maximum apertures so they can do well in low-light conditions
Lack of zoom forces you to compose more carefully

Cons:
You'd likely need 2-3 prime lenses to cover a similar range as a zoom
No zoom
Not as versatile as a zoom

I realize that my cons all pretty much sound the same, but that's all I could think of this early in the morning hah . I'm sure a lot of the other guys in here can give you a better and more detailed response.

And yes I did list lack of zoom as both a pro and a con; it's a double-edged sword.

Of course everything I mentioned does not necessarily hold true for all prime lenses. I was thinking of basic primes vs. a budget zoom like an 18-55 kit lens.
The reason people pick primes over zooms are image quality, speed and weight. Image quality is much better on a prime due to less glass elements. (the more glass in a lens, the more degraded the light will come through). Primes, assuming you're not using a telephoto, are much faster than zooms. Haven't seen a prime 85mm or shorter, over f/2.8. Most good primes are between f/1.2 and f/1.8 (not saying f/2 - f/2.8 are bad because they're not). Primes are also much lighter than zooms.

The only con I can think of is a fixed focal length.
that pretty well covers it, other general benefits are that primes are typically smaller in size (though there are some massively large primes & many high quality primes have large glass that makes them larger than some zoom lenses!!!), which is useful when mobile or traveling. as well the simplicity of a single focal length, it does not really make for more considered composition though, rather a prime lens limits the options for composing that a zoom lens would give (with a zoom lens, the added dimension of deciding what focal length to use may slow you down)...

it really depends on need, yes primes are said to be sharper and can have larger apertures for low-light shooting/shallow depth of field photos but those things can achieved by higher ISOs and post processing, generally people rock with zooms for the convenience to change focal lengths fast. i think primes give a certain consistency/expectation to the experience of practicing photography, and to me are a bit easier/more fun to shoot with because once you get used to a focal length you kind of get an idea of what an image could be before making the picture...whereas with a zoom it may be a little more difficult...

Thanks for all of your inputs, will definitely keep using prime lens. Might use my zoom lens too someday. Repped all of y'all 
pimp.gif

first time posting some stuff ive shot nothing as good as some of the stuff ive seen posted already

from my point and shoot camera in barbados

from my dslr

Anybody here us a light meter? I really want to pick one up because I think it will make a huge difference in my images.

Light meters are dope. They make life easier.

I'm clearing out my 3rd bedroom which is on my bottom floor to create my studio. Extremely happy with how it's coming along.

Light meters are dope. They make life easier.

I'm clearing out my 3rd bedroom which is on my bottom floor to create my studio. Extremely happy with how it's coming along.

I've wanted on for a little bit but had been holding off because I thought that I wasn't doing to bad without it. Now I feel like I want to eliminate the room for error. Recently had a shoot where the pics looked good until I tried to create a custom camera profile and couldnt because my color checker image had some blown out spots. Oh well, I shouldve read the histogram.

Pretty much what I shot while out in the rain/fog yesterday. One thing I will say about this past winter......just being out shooting in this and all other conditions, has been fun. In fact I've gotten a bit of an adrenaline rush being out in harsh elements.

3/14/15 by iammikerios, on Flickr

^^^^Thanks dude. Wish I would have spent there longer but i kind of was on a crunch time I recommend it but go late if you can because no one is really there parking is way easier and I think it's even free around 5-8pm. Any other times are just horrendous because you would literally have to almost part a mile away at times.

And digging those black and white photos above. I am not even super into black and white but I like the feel. I am heading to NYC next week but got like one day of free time. Hoping to go shoot around if I can.

^^^^Thanks dude. Wish I would have spent there longer but i kind of was on a crunch time I recommend it but go late if you can because no one is really there parking is way easier and I think it's even free around 5-8pm. Any other times are just horrendous because you would literally have to almost part a mile away at times.

And digging those black and white photos above. I am not even super into black and white but I like the feel. I am heading to NYC next week but got like one day of free time. Hoping to go shoot around if I can.

Thanks for the compliments, as someone learning the ropes I appreciate it.

I don't know if this will be your first visit or not....Im able to cover a lot of ground quickly. I walked the Manhattan Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, and other parts of downtown Manhattan in a steady rain for about 2-2 1/2 hours. The great thing is there is always something to shoot. Some more from Saturday night...

Back
Top Bottom