The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

BigSlim papi ... I'm just trying to give you an honest opinion and answer. Your question started this might sound .. my interpretation of that was "I think I know it all, but I'm going to ask a question that makes it seem that I dont know it all.

Anyways that's neither here nor there ... I seen your Flickr is OK .. You need a lot more practice and a understanding of why you do certain things.

All I'm saying is that dont compare your work to those of highly paid professionals. They probably have more resources than you and have been doing this for years.

Instead focus on what you like from those shoots and replicate ... You also need an understanding of composition and distractions ... Take time to reasearch about time of day accessories sub etc .... For example you have ankle socks that are probably out of style right now and are taking away from the sneaker and your cool art work. You have a highly over done perspective of the shot. You can see you he edge of your shorts but is to little to make it out so again, its taking away from your pictures ... You are nicely lighted but then the BG is blown out . for Christ sake you have a dumpster and a hupty car in the picture.
. etc etc etc ...

I'm not heard to tell you u r awesome. I'm trying to give you constructive critisim
.. You dont like it don't post ... Hope that's not the case and you take something from it.

Last edited:
BigSlim papi ... I'm just trying to give you an honest opinion and answer. Your question started this might sound .. my interpretation of that was "I think I know it all, but I'm going to ask a question that makes it seem that I dont know it all.

Anyways that's neither here nor there ... I seen your Flickr is OK .. You need a lot more practice and a understanding of why you do certain things.

All I'm saying is that dont compare your work to those of highly paid professionals. They probably have more resources than you and have been doing this for years.

Instead focus on what you like from those shoots and replicate ... You also need an understanding of composition and distractions ... Take time to reasearch about time of day accessories sub etc .... For example you have ankle socks that are probably out of style right now and are taking away from the sneaker and your cool art work. You have a highly over done perspective of the shot. You can see you he edge of your shorts but is to little to make it out so again, its taking away from your pictures ... You are nicely lighted but then the BG is blown out
. etc etc etc ...

I'm not heard to tell you u r awesome. I'm trying to give you constructive critisim
.. You dont like it don't post ... Hope that's not the case and you take something from it.

FASHO FAM. LIKE I SAID, IM STILL LEARNING, AND I DEF DONT KNOW IT ALL.

IVE HAD MY 5200 FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR. SO I DEF HAVE NOT BEEN DOING THIS FOR VERY LONG.

I KNOW WHERE I WANT TO BE, THIS HOBBY MAY BECOME A CAREER.

I UNDERSTAND IT TAKES TIME, I UNDERSTAND IT TAKES MONEY, I UNDERSTAND IT TAKES TRIAL AND ERROR.

I WAS SIMPLY INQUIRING ABOUT A BETTER PIECE OF EQUIPMENT TO ENHANCE MY PHOTOS.

you dont need better equipment, you still gonna take your snapshots with an expensive camera :rolleyes

Better equipment is going to do nothing for you unless you have the understanding. Trust me ... I seen dudes with the best cameras and lenses taking pictures that look that came out of a diaposible camera ....

Understanding and Post Production is your bread and butter.

I just realized that I owned the 85 1.2L and I have never used it at 1.2L SMH ... However the margin for error there is to great ...

Better equipment is going to do nothing for you unless you have the understanding. Trust me ... I seen dudes with the best cameras and lenses taking pictures that look that came out of a diaposible camera ....

GOTCHA.

I just think he shot the pic in odd lighting. I guess you were in the shade and the background was lit from the sun and just looks blown out. If you shot that in a better sun setting, it would have been fine.

I don't think this guy posts in this thread but I see his photos on NT and I think he is just an overall good photographer. Even his post processing is pretty good. He gets a lot of sky in all of his photos. Check out his flickr. You can definitely get some shoe ideas from him anyways.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seango/

I just think he shot the pic in odd lighting. I guess you were in the shade and the background was lit from the sun and just looks blown out. If you shot that in a better sun setting, it would have been fine.

I don't think this guy posts in this thread but I see his photos on NT and I think he is just an overall good photographer. Even his post processing is pretty good. He gets a lot of sky in all of his photos. Check out his flickr. You can definitely get some shoe ideas from him anyways.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seango/

YEAH HIS PICS ARE ALWAYS DOPE.

BRO, YOU ARE 1 OF THE FEW PEOPLE ON NT THAT I CAN REALLY CARE LESS ABOUT THEIR OPINION. IF MY "SELCETIVE COLORING" AND TIRED KICK PICS BOTHER YOU, DONT BOTHER TO REPLY!

YOU ARE OVERPRAISED BRO. HOW ABOUT WHENEVER YOU SEE ME POST, JUST IGNORE IT. I DONT BOTHER YOU, YOU DONT BOTHER ME.

IM STILL LEARNING LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD SO PARDON ME FOR ASKING FOR ADVICE.

SMH, THESE NT CELEBS.

Understand that things don't always need to be sugarcoated, I don't really care about praise, I could be so much more active posting pics in here all the time for e-dabs if that's what I was into, I just lurk the thread and give advice and some C&C sometimes harsh, most times nice...grow some thick skin if photography is where you want to venture, WE ARE ALL ALWAYS on the way up a very steep learning curve, Im even hesitant to call myself a pro and I'm on my 4th wedding season.

You first apologized for sounding a bit "noobish" as if being a beginner was something to be ashamed of, that's pretty much why I came out the way I did...if it was too harsh for you, then I'm sorry...next time I'll baby you more.

Now admittedly you said you are a beginner yet are wondering why in the hell your pictures don't look like a Nike ad, like bro...do you know the type of photographers, equipment and designers that go into pulling these ads together?...why is that thought so hard to grasp?...just take it one step at a time...develop your own style, get inspired but don't imitate and for the love of God NEVER DO SELECTIVE COLORING.

Btw I had to block you on the gram....I never disrespected you....sorry if I struck a nerve but don't come on my IG talking crazy like that.

I'm just getting the hang of the triangle. At the beginning, I was strictly using scene modes/auto.....at this point Aperature & Shutter Priorities are my best friends.

For someone who uses a T5 I think I do ok......as for editing, I used to go nuts and would consistently oversaturate colors, filters, etc. at this point I am confident enough that editing consist of minor tweaks!

Understand that things don't always need to be sugarcoated, I don't really care about praise, I could be so much more active posting pics in here all the time for e-dabs if that's what I was into, I just lurk the thread and give advice and some C&C sometimes harsh, most times nice...grow some thick skin if photography is where you want to venture, WE ARE ALL ALWAYS on the way up a very steep learning curve, Im even hesitant to call myself a pro and I'm on my 4th wedding season.

You first apologized for sounding a bit "noobish" as if being a beginner was something to be ashamed of, that's pretty much why I came out the way I did...if it was too harsh for you, then I'm sorry...next time I'll baby you more.

Now admittedly you said you are a beginner yet are wondering why in the hell your pictures don't look like a Nike ad, like bro...do you know the type of photographers, equipment and designers that go into pulling these ads together?...why is that thought so hard to grasp?...just take it one step at a time...develop your own style, get inspired but don't imitate and for the love of God NEVER DO SELECTIVE COLORING.

Btw I had to block you on the gram....I never disrespected you....sorry if I struck a nerve but don't come on my IG talking crazy like that.
pretty much agree with all this. Basically what I said.

I just had to comment on the IG thing. People have to understand this is a forum where we bs, talk crazy at times and bug out. However, IG, Facebook, Linkin, etc for some are business tools and not kids play. You can't go there talking nonsense like you do here. You have client that look and read comments. Not everyone is about paying funnies and bs ...

I had screencapped what bro said, but I got a new phone now so I lost the screencap, he really went ham on my IG...for those that follow me, you know my IG is 95% for my business and just like you said I have tons of clients that follow me, dude went on acting wreckless over the most insignificant of comments on here :lol:

Anyways no harm no foul...been at this for years and posting in legit photography forums back a few years ago you would sometimes get critiqued by straight SHARKS :lol: but somehow I feel I learned more from those people than the dudes that went about it in a super sweet way....maybe is just me....I have my boy who's an amazing wedding photographer and we always crack on each other when we work because at the end of the day, you shoot with your heart, technique is secondary, technically I barely know my camera...I know how to shoot in manual and handle my light well, other than that all that other Mumbo jumbo in the settings I could care less about and he's pretty much the same :lol: straight noobs when we chat it up with other photographers in the field...but guess what?...often times clients will enjoy a photographer that shoots with heart as opposed to one who's super technical but his shots don't come with any shine.

I just came in to say because of the Holdfast Moneymaker, my wedding day work flow feels so much better now. Thank you for putting me on kind sir ksteezy ksteezy

I just came in to say because of the Holdfast Moneymaker, my wedding day work flow feels so much better now. Thank you for putting me on kind sir ksteezy ksteezy

One of the greatest accesories ever.....I got a free one from one of their photo contest, thank God because his prices have jumped up alottttt...but for the quality and aesthetic look I say is still very worth it....only strap you can wear and not look like a complete doofus with a suit on...tell me people don't look at you like "yo you look like a bad MFer" :pimp:

You welcome fam....another cool company for the off days is PeakDesign....coolest little clips ever.

They look pretty good to me but like said above I'm sure it's alot that goes into Nike's pictures

OH I KNOW THAT IT DOES, I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR SOME POSITIVE INSIGHT ON METHODS/EQUIPMENT TO GET ME STARTED DOWN THAT PATH.

BUT HEY, THIS IS NT, FULL OF "KNOW IT ALL'S".

*SHRUGS*

Bro, you can't just ask for positive comments only ... Take the negatives in stride. It's nothing personal.

I was thinking getting one of those Peak Clips. I want to buy a 24mm pancake first though..

Last edited:
You welcome fam....another cool company for the off days is PeakDesign....coolest little clips ever.

I was thinking getting one of those Peak Clips. I want to buy a 24mm pancake first though..

The Peak clip is definitely the truth. Pretty sure ksteezy recommended it sometime last year and I picked one up. I mainly use it while I'm riding my motorcycle and it is SUPER secure. I've hit triple digit speeds before and I was never worried that my camera was in danger of falling. Though the heaviest setup I've had on the clip was a D3200 with an 8mm Bower fisheye so nothing extremely heavy. At first I thought the price was a little steep, but after using it for a year I'd say it's pretty useful.

You can kinda see it putting in that work on my IG lol

Back
Top Bottom