The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

One shot I took of my friends g37s

Never photographed a vehicle before and i had a lot of fun :lol:

My Bay Area NTers.....I am trying to go shooting outside of SF but am having a hard time where to go. Is there anything that someone can recommend that is just interesting? I was looking into Mare Island which is near Vallejo. I hear there is an old shipyard there. I am going to this place in Pinole where there is this abandon watering hole. Back in the days, we called it Hell Hole.

4914888195_c851476d1f_o.jpg

My Bay Area NTers.....I am trying to go shooting outside of SF but am having a hard time where to go. Is there anything that someone can recommend that is just interesting? I was looking into Mare Island which is near Vallejo. I hear there is an old shipyard there. I am going to this place in Pinole where there is this abandon watering hole. Back in the days, we called it Hell Hole.

the pic i just posted above yours was taken at mare island. It was the first time i'd ever been there.

Its a VERY interesting location. I swear i thought i was on set on the walking dead. tons and tons of abandon buildings, warehouses, barracks, etc.

Then you go further and reach a really nice greener area.

the pic i just posted above yours was taken at mare island. It was the first time i'd ever been there.

Its a VERY interesting location. I swear i thought i was on set on the walking dead. tons and tons of abandon buildings, warehouses, barracks, etc.

Then you go further and reach a really nice greener area.
Word. If you do the little walk, which leads up to a hill, you can get some decent shots.

You can also drive along side the warehouses to get some ideas for a shot.

Are the warehouse accessible? Or do they seemed pretty locked up? I am trying to go there at night but I feel like it's going to be pretty difficult to scope things unless I go there during the daytime too.

Too bad Cosson Hall at Treasure Island is locked up. I think there was a photo meet a year ago there. I tried going a month ago and everything was boarded up.

tmg-facebook_share

[COLOR=#red]tokes I'd argue that it pays for a person to be adaptable...there are almost infinitely more opportunities for a person that is. Comfort zones are limiting my dude. Of course the counter argument to that is "I'm doing quite well as is now", and to counter that I'd say why not do even better? Why limit yourself.

Learn new platforms, new techniques, be open to new technologies. Fact of the matter is huge DSLRs years are numbered. Just a matter of time. I remember when film advocates dealt with the same resistance to digital photography.[/COLOR]

all good points, but the thing i've learned as i get older is as human beings we are nothing, if not creatures of habit; maybe especially if that habit is what gets you paid...and generally people just want things to be consistent, familiar, and reliable regardless of the specific field and whatever the new thing is, no matter how shiny & awesome may be, represents as much promise as frustration...

and i think most dslr shooters would agree with your why limit yourself statement in terms of shooting mirrorless, just saying...

Last edited:
For me ... I tend to ignore people that haven't prove or validated themselves here.

Why talk about limiting yourself if you dont even have a starting point to back the argument up.

All I have seen is a lot of talk and a no walk.

Pun pun

yo Fong, what's your instagram man?

I don't know why you want to shoot all this other stuff when you are in Frisco .... Just shooting the bridges from different angles and times for me would be everything .... plus you have all the cost lines, I would be finding mad interesting places for long exposures and sunsets ....

checck gettyphotography - he's from the bay.

Last edited:
For me ... I tend to ignore people that haven't prove or validated themselves here.

Why talk about limiting yourself if you dont even have a starting point to back the argument up.

All I have seen is a lot of talk and a no walk.

Pun pun

well, it is probably fairly obvious, i like to discuss/think about things without too much concern about who, rather i try to judge whether what is being stated is valid. that mirrorless cameras have in fact become almost every bit as capable as their dslr bredren is an argument that has its merits; just as there are things about mirrorless that some shooters will genuinely feel don't work as well for them. just wanted to expand & temper the conversation of dslr vs mirrorless...

and such as it is, it wouldn't really matter whether EWD had world class photos or was a complete hack...while EWD's tone can be quite condescending enough to encourage disregard/dismissal, especially given the lack of examples to shore up claims of grandioseness (#thisistheinternetstho), i think most of the substance of the posts have nuggets of useful info...

...#typoedit

Last edited:
srs question, has he ever posted photos here?

he seems to just talk a lot about the equipment he has.

You bros gotta understand one thing, learn to either ignore or grow thick skin when it comes to photography, because is not a place filled with humbleness...8 out of 10 "photographers" are usually condescending and douchey, even those that start off humble, begin to get praise on their work and quickly blows up their heads, I've seen it happen to friends I've seen start from scratch and in a year or two are now pros critisizing and making fun of others...pretty silly, but is something you need to filter out....humble photos are hard to come by....if he doesn't post his work is probably because he doesn't take criticism well and is best to not risk it, so I don't blame him.

Bokeh gets to people's heads QUICK. :lol:

I try to stay as humble as I can. I think I'm decent at taking photos and post processing, but I'm at no point where I can ignore criticism, process it as hate, and have a holier than thou attitude. No way. I appreciate every comment I get, whether it's good or bad. Even more so if you give me pointers, suggestions, and criticism (sometimes it's something I disagree with, but it's all good). Photography for me is a hobby, that's all. Who am I to get mad when someone with obviously more experience or someone who shoots profesionally comments and gives me help on my photos?

Ya boy outchea shooting with a t2i :lol:

I hate how people can't take criticism. Like bro, it's nothing personal.

bokeh :wow: :pimp: :lol:

someone was selling a pretty brand new 24mm stm on potn for $80, i missed out :frown:

Last edited:

I don't know why you want to shoot all this other stuff when you are in Frisco .... Just shooting the bridges from different angles and times for me would be everything .... plus you have all the cost lines, I would be finding mad interesting places for long exposures and sunsets ....

My IG tag is just Fongstarr. I got a rental car for the weekend and just want to shoot something different. I haven't even mastered SF but I guess I don't want to add another SF photo to my library of bad photos. Haha. But honestly I want to explore this weekend. I haven't been getting great photos later so maybe different content can add to a better photo. We'll see.

That guy gettyphotography is super good but man, I already follow like 5 other people that have like the same content. I get what you are saying though.You can definitely get a lot of other good photos just shooting the same stuff. Some of these guys really push their RAW files. Some of the photos almost look like paintings. I guess I should try and shoot RAW tomorrow if I remember to switch the mode. It's seriously the one thing that negates anything I say about photography. What guy buys all this gear and only shoots Jpegs......me. Haha.

My IG tag is just Fongstarr. I got a rental car for the weekend and just want to shoot something different. I haven't even mastered SF but I guess I don't want to add another SF photo to my library of bad photos. Haha. But honestly I want to explore this weekend. I haven't been getting great photos later so maybe different content can add to a better photo. We'll see.

That guy gettyphotography is super good but man, I already follow like 5 other people that have like the same content. I get what you are saying though.You can definitely get a lot of other good photos just shooting the same stuff. Some of these guys really push their RAW files. Some of the photos almost look like paintings. I guess I should try and shoot RAW tomorrow if I remember to switch the mode. It's seriously the one thing that negates anything I say about photography. What guy buys all this gear and only shoots Jpegs......me. Haha.

Santa Cruz?

Or maybe just drive down the 1.

^^^^^^Was thinking about going to Big Sur but I really don't want to get that same photo that everyone has. I am going to go North and just check out Mt Tam area and then head to the East Bay and then check out Mare Island late in the night. I even might go to Hunters Point in SF and see what's good with some of the warehouses if I don't get robbed first. I looked up HP all day today and can't believe there are $700k condos there now. Crazy.

^^^^^^Was thinking about going to Big Sur but I really don't want to get that same photo that everyone has. I am going to go North and just check out Mt Tam area and then head to the East Bay and then check out Mare Island late in the night. I even might go to Hunters Point in SF and see what's good with some of the warehouses if I don't get robbed first. I looked up HP all day today and can't believe there are $700k condos there now. Crazy.

Yeah I've been trying to go Mt Tam for like 2 years now but never got around to it.

If you wanna try a park and down for a bit of a drive you can check out Pinnacles National Park. It's about 1.5-2 hours south of SJ.

Last edited:
^^^^^^NIce. Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking at photos on Flickr. Looks dope. Might have to take a trip out there another day.

...if he doesn't post his work is probably because he doesn't take criticism well and is best to not risk it, so I don't blame him.

if there is a risk, it is rather low stakes no? it isn't like people go super extra on the critiquing here...but i guess i tend to agree though, what's the upside really of posting here for any of us besides to inspire & share our photography related exploits/insights/knowledge/?

well, it is probably fairly obvious, i like to discuss/think about things without too much concern about who, rather i try to judge whether what is being stated is valid. that mirrorless cameras have in fact become almost every bit as capable as their dslr bredren is an argument that has its merits; just as there are things about mirrorless that some shooters will genuinely feel don't work as well for them. just wanted to expand & temper the conversation of dslr vs mirrorless...

and such as it is, it wouldn't really matter whether EWD had world class photos or was a complete hack...while EWD's tone can be quite condescending enough to encourage disregard/dismissal, especially given the lack of examples to shore up claims of grandioseness (#thisistheinternetstho), i think most of the substance of the posts have nuggets of useful info...

...#typoedit
I can care less if he has great pictures as long as he has some pictures to show and if asked he can at least give some insight in how it was done. This is a community where although sometimes we can look at a picture and say it's not good we offer advice. He just put random online critiques and or reviews criticizes people and never let anyone see his images. He can be the modern day Picasso for all I know, but I can give two shots because he hasn't proven anything but he can read a review and interpret it well.

srs question, has he ever posted photos here?

he seems to just talk a lot about the equipment he has.
The first time I seen his photos were of Texas A&M years ago and they were highly processed HDRs and not in a good way. Maybe it wasn't even him. But for the longest all critiques and no pictures.

You bros gotta understand one thing, learn to either ignore or grow thick skin when it comes to photography, because is not a place filled with humbleness...8 out of 10 "photographers" are usually condescending and douchey, even those that start off humble, begin to get praise on their work and quickly blows up their heads, I've seen it happen to friends I've seen start from scratch and in a year or two are now pros critisizing and making fun of others...pretty silly, but is something you need to filter out....humble photos are hard to come by....if he doesn't post his work is probably because he doesn't take criticism well and is best to not risk it, so I don't blame him.

Bokeh gets to people's heads QUICK. :lol:
you are right man. These dudes be worst than females on the gossip and click stuff. This dude I talked to was saying how he had to block certain IGers because they were jacking his spots in NYC. LoL ... I know this dude broke as duck acting like be is tight because he rolls with a crew that has access to rooftops in NYC. LoL ... Is a differences between being condescending and just being honest ...

You still shooting JPG? Man get off that **** already ... You need to shoot raw ... Shoot everything three or 4 times if needed .. some over and some under expose ... You be amaze what u thought it was under or over expose is what u actually needed or wanted ..

Send me a raw and lets see how we both post, not saying that I'll do better. Just to see how people can do stuff differently.

I can care less if he has great pictures as long as he has some pictures to show and if asked he can at least give some insight in how it was done. This is a community where although sometimes we can look at a picture and say it's not good we offer advice. He just put random online critiques and or reviews criticizes people and never let anyone see his images. He can be the modern day Picasso for all I know, but I can give two shots because he hasn't proven anything but he can read a review and interpret it well..

like i said philosophically, it doesn't matter to me...i don't think anyone'e opinion of EWD would change no matter what was posted and if he were to post more work, it probably wouldn't make the tone of his post more palatable either, i imagine; both you & ksteezy have brought up the point that there is a recognition that some people are just let things go to their head - doubly so on the world wide interwebs - as someone who nerds out on the gear, philosophy, and techniques of many of the different genres of photography & respects everyone's perspective/skill level, i am only a hobbyist so i don't believe i've ever criticized anyone's work beyond a technical level here (or anywhere else for that matter), and even that is mostly only if that person is explicitly seeking it...

all that is to say, why keep trolling the troll? (not that i'm necessarily saying i think homie is one but it seems that some here do), why not just approach it like anything else; the messenger shouldn't always dictate the value of the message...being that we all obviously exist on the web, sifting through the endless noise of information and deciding what can be useful from it should be quite the norm...#justsayin

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]Ke Jones, might i courteously and kindly request you hop off my balls Sir? You put too much energy into my screenname and it's unhealthy brother.

I have discussions with others in here with no problems, even when we don't always agree. I'd welcome that type of interaction with you with no problems.

I don't post examples because as ksteezy hinted at, my work is pretty garbage. I just like wasting money on great technology. So there you have it, no need to speculate anymore, i choose not to ruin this thread with horrible pohotgraphy, but love talking abiut tech. There's room for that in here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Ke Jones, might i courteously and kindly request you hop off my balls Sir? You put too much energy into my screenname and it's unhealthy brother.

I have discussions with others in here with no problems, even when we don't always agree. I'd welcome that type of interaction with you with no problems.

I don't post examples because as ksteezy hinted at, my work is pretty garbage. I just like wasting money on great technology. So there you have it, no need to speculate anymore, i choose not to ruin this thread with horrible pohotgraphy, but love talking abiut tech. There's room for that in here.[/COLOR]
Bro you the same dude to the android thread abd stand hard for Samsung and **** on everyone's onion that think otherwise.

You a fraud ... Continue reading and regurgitating internet articles.

Again is not about your technical application or how great you are. Just contribute to the thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom