The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

So I mainly make my money with mini sessions for children and families. I get a few props for holidays and try to incorporate those into the sessions. The mothers eat that **** up! Anyways, I got some adorable props for Valentines Day that you might have seen if you follow me on Instagram.

As soon as I posted that picture to my business Facebook page and blog I got responses and a woman wanted to meet up today for a Valentines Day mini session for her 17 month old son who she said is impossible to photograph. I've always been great with kids and never had a problem and figured it'd be no big deal. We met at the beach today and the kid is crying, throwing himself on the ground, won't smile, won't sit on the bench with any of the props.

Long story short, it was literally the worst session I've had with a kid EVER today. I ended up sending her 16 images when I normally send AT LEAST 25 and in most of the pictures he's so sad. I want to cry.

:x

thats got to be ROUGH

how'd the mom handle it?

She was really great actually. We both just tried to get him interested in playing with some of the props and running around and stuff, but for the most part, he wasn't having it. It was seriously so cold outside also, and I'm sure that was a huge factor in the way he was behaving. I don't know why his mother wanted to have the session at the beach in January, in NJ, but whatever. :rofl:

Folks who rent lens, specifically SF, where do you go? :nerd:

I might hit up borrowlenses in San Carlos area.

Sorry meant to do BL :lol:

They have ~1500 reviews on yelp @ 4.5 stars. Should be solid.

Thinking about renting a 35mm L one of these days. Hesitant because idk if I can go back after I use it :lol:

http://www.in2white.com/# :x :x

35 gigapixels.

Last edited:
Yeah thats a lot lol. I remember someone posting an overview of a city and you could zoom into some people's window and it would be relatively sharp.

Haven't been in this thread in a few years. I was heavy into photography in college, but then got a real job and kinda put if off to the side. My friend sold me a D5200 last year as an impulse buy because he didn't like it and just wanted some quick cash. I've been toying with it for the last few months and I decided I wanna move up to full-frame.

I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with Nikon (learned on one), so I'm leaning towards the D750. I also wanna pick up a speedlight, looking at the SB-700. Any suggestions, guys?

Gonna be in Miami for the weekend and I was wondering where are some good places to go shoot. I'll be staying around Ocean Dr. But I'll have a car by the night.

Did the best I could with it being underexposed. Black is such a pain to work with.

Original:

Edit:

S2K by Mayank4585, on Flickr

Did the best I could with it being underexposed. Black is such a pain to work with.

Original:

Edit:

think it'd look good if you made it warmer + hit the sun with a warm radial filter

btw can anyone school me on split toning in LR? it is basically just giving colors to shadows/highlights?

Last edited:

Original:

Edit:

did you underexpose on purpose? it might be useful in that type of situation to try to hdr it by taking & combining a few different exposures...

btw can anyone school me on split toning in LR? it is basically just giving colors to shadows/highlights?

basically...it is a good way to add a bit of mood to an image, some like to use analogous (basically using different colors that are around the same shade, like blue, light blue and bluish green) but most times you'll see complimentary colors (blue with orange, red with green)

this is a useful tool if you want a bit of an introduction to color theory

Back
Top Bottom