The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Uhg... Lighting makes such a huge difference. These two weddings look like they were done by two different photographers :x

Oh well... the wedding yesterday I did the best w/ what i was thrown into.

Wedding on Saturday. LOVED the lighting :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Wedding on Sunday. Hated the lighting :x :x :x

What was your ISO at if you remember?

They needed lots of fill light...yikes. Had you been there before to see how it was to be arranged?

in the first pic, i think you can recover the highlighted areas to bring out more of the sky.
that said, both pics are very nice.

I pulled down the highlights all the way and used graduated filters as well. I'll see what else I can come up with, thanks though.

They needed lots of fill light...yikes. Had you been there before to see how it was to be arranged?

The entire family formals were done at ISO 3200.

Using a full frame camera makes the noise significantly less abundant... Still not even close to ideal.

Never been to the venue before getting there on the wedding day... They had to have formals done AFTER the ceremony so we couldnt even go outside because the wedding took place after sunset.

I warned them of the lighting situation about 100 times prior to the wedding date and throughout the wedding.

I showed the family the photos posted on here and they're in love... Ultimately, thats what matters, but I'm not thrilled with about 80% of the photos :lol:

I showed the family the photos posted on here and they're in love... Ultimately, thats what matters, but I'm not thrilled with about 80% of the photos
laugh.gif
That's always the worst part. You know you could do better and the client is so truly in love with em. I took prom pics for my coworker's sister and I did good but I still gave her a free session cause I wasn't satisfied

I've been using the Sony NEX 7 with  the 18-55mm lens since its release in 2012 and I'm looking to add a few more lenses. What would you guys suggest I look for? I have no problem with using adapters for the e mount.

as you may know, via adapters you can fit just about any lens on your mirrorless camera, so the question is what do you (or want to) shoot primarily? that should help you figure out which lenses may help you in that realm? do you most like to shoot normal, telephoto, or wide? plan to move to full frame? if you are using lightroom or some other cataloging program, you can also look at you favorite images to see what aperture & focal length they were shot and use that as a guide or alternatively just looking at the focal lengths you aren't using?

I've been using the Sony NEX 7 with  the 18-55mm lens since its release in 2012 and I'm looking to add a few more lenses. What would you guys suggest I look for? I have no problem with using adapters for the e mount.
as you may know, via adapters you can fit just about any lens on your mirrorless camera, so the question is what do you (or want to) shoot primarily? that should help you figure out which lenses may help you in that realm? do you most like to shoot normal, telephoto, or wide? plan to move to full frame? if you are using lightroom or some other cataloging program, you can also look at you favorite images to see what aperture & focal length they were shot and use that as a guide or alternatively just looking at the focal lengths you aren't using?
tbh, I'm really looking to expand more to telephoto as well as find a different normal lens to use. The 18-55 is a good lens but isn't the most ideal to use with the NEX. In regards to Lightroom, I just installed it a few weeks ago and I haven't really gotten around to it. I honestly haven't been paying much attention to the aperture and focal lengths, just been look to get the best shot and keep it moving

as you may know, via adapters you can fit just about any lens on your mirrorless camera, so the question is what do you (or want to) shoot primarily? that should help you figure out which lenses may help you in that realm? do you most like to shoot normal, telephoto, or wide? plan to move to full frame? if you are using lightroom or some other cataloging program, you can also look at you favorite images to see what aperture
tbh, I'm really looking to expand more to telephoto as well as find a different normal lens to use. The 18-55 is a good lens but isn't the most ideal to use with the NEX. In regards to Lightroom, I just installed it a few weeks ago and I haven't really gotten around to it. I honestly haven't been paying much attention to the aperture and focal lengths, just been look to get the best shot and keep it moving

70-200 2.8

as you may know, via adapters you can fit just about any lens on your mirrorless camera, so the question is what do you (or want to) shoot primarily? that should help you figure out which lenses may help you in that realm? do you most like to shoot normal, telephoto, or wide? plan to move to full frame? if you are using lightroom or some other cataloging program, you can also look at you favorite images to see what aperture

definitely not saying the best shot is dictated by the apertures or focal lengths you have used, but, for example, if you looked at your some of your best shots & found that most of them were taken around certain focal lengths, that might help you decide on where to spend your money in terms of lenses...

definitely not saying the best shot is dictated by the apertures or focal lengths you have used, but, for example, if you looked at your some of your best shots & found that most of them were taken around certain focal lengths, that might help you decide on where to spend your money in terms of lenses...
Gotcha, I've been looking at my pictures recently and the range has been between 25 and 35. I'm gonna look into something starting in that range moving forward

definitely not saying the best shot is dictated by the apertures or focal lengths you have used, but, for example, if you looked at your some of your best shots
Gotcha, I've been looking at my pictures recently and the range has been between 25 and 35. I'm gonna look into something starting in that range moving forward

24-70 f/4

Amazon product ASIN B00FSB79FU
dope that u use an NEX-7.

My first "good" camera was an NEX-5. Still have it. I'll never get rid of it.

Shooting manual exposure on it is such a hassle though. :x

Which do yous think is better, Canon- EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera with 18.55mm IS STM Lens or Canon Rebel TS DSLR Camera with 18.55mm and 75-300mm Lens? Thanks

Which do yous think is better, Canon- EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera with 18.55mm IS STM Lens or Canon Rebel TS DSLR Camera with 18.55mm and 75-300mm Lens? Thanks

I'd go with more lenses.

18-55 and 75-300 is a huge range of focal lengths that will allow you to experiment and figure out what / how you like shooting.

Once you figure that out, you'll be able to make a better choice on what is next.

I'd go with more lenses.

18-55 and 75-300 is a huge range of focal lengths that will allow you to experiment and figure out what / how you like shooting.

Once you figure that out, you'll be able to make a better choice on what is next.
Appreciate that. Would you still go with that over the Nikon.D3300 Digital SLR with 18-55mm G VR DX II AF-S LENS?

Last edited:

Using a full frame camera makes the noise significantly less abundant... Still not even close to ideal.

Never been to the venue before getting there on the wedding day... They had to have formals done AFTER the ceremony so we couldnt even go outside because the wedding took place after sunset.

I warned them of the lighting situation about 100 times prior to the wedding date and throughout the wedding.

I showed the family the photos posted on here and they're in love... Ultimately, thats what matters, but I'm not thrilled with about 80% of the photos :lol:
Whoa 3200 ISO. I get nervous when I get to 1600. Have you looked into another light source. Possibly a Gary Fong Diffuser for your flash?

I'd go with more lenses.

Appreciate that. Would you still go with that over the Nikon.D3300 Digital SLR with 18-55mm G VR DX II AF-S LENS?

At that point, its really up to your budget. Assuming you own no other DSLR equipment.

At the entry level, its more important to pick your brand and just stick with it. That way, you can grow with it.

For example, lets say u cop a canon rebel and u have a few lenses and u wanna go to the next level, copping a full frame canon DSLR will allow you to use the majority of your lenses going forward. Same if you pick Nikon or Sony, etc.

Another factor is if you have friends who you're going to shoot with. If you have a buddy who is a photographer and they have 12 Nikon lenses... might be good to cop a nikon and hang out with them to get your hands wet with some other glass.

Just some things to think about.

At that point, its really up to your budget. Assuming you own no other DSLR equipment.

At the entry level, its more important to pick your brand and just stick with it. That way, you can grow with it.

For example, lets say u cop a canon rebel and u have a few lenses and u wanna go to the next level, copping a full frame canon DSLR will allow you to use the majority of your lenses going forward. Same if you pick Nikon or Sony, etc.

Another factor is if you have friends who you're going to shoot with. If you have a buddy who is a photographer and they have 12 Nikon lenses... might be good to cop a nikon and hang out with them to get your hands wet with some other glass.

Ok. Which brand would you say is better, Nikon or Canon? Thanks for the help

Whoa 3200 ISO. I get nervous when I get to 1600. Have you looked into another light source. Possibly a Gary Fong Diffuser for your flash?

3200 ISO is nothing for full frame, man. Crank it up! :lol:

I actually have two studio lights w/ softboxes and what not for constant lighting. Just didnt bring them. I realistically wouldn't have had enough time to set them up. Bride and groom insisted on no first look and I had 20 minutes to knock out all bridal party, family formals, and couples portraits. I ended up getting 8 solid minutes with the bride and groom. I was pissed... but they understand they're going to get what they're going to get. They still really enjoyed their experience with me as a photographer... its the second time they hired me too and are already talking about what they want next w/ me.

The shots i posted with off camera flash were not diffused and I dont feel its too big of a deal.

Ok. Which brand would you say is better, Nikon or Canon? Thanks for the help

Neither man... every camera on every brand has their pros and cons. theres not a single "perfect" camera. I sold me entire nikon kit and fully invested into a canon full frame body and a host of lenses about 4 months ago.

I did that because the main photographer I shoot with shoots canon and having a canon body opens me up to her gear.

The best camera is the one thats on you.

Back
Top Bottom