The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just got my Hasselblad Xpan in over the weekend. I can tell I'm going to love this camera.

Wow bro. You sold the other Hasselblad to get this one? I always liked the Xpan. If I was a film nut, I would get that for travel use and what not.

Wow bro. You sold the other Hasselblad to get this one? I always liked the Xpan. If I was a film nut, I would get that for travel use and what not.

Pretty much haha. I'm going through a gear change. Sold a few cameras to pick up the Xpan and also finally picked my first full-frame digital camera with interchangeable lenses. Digital full frame :wow: You're more than welcome to try the Xpan if we ever link up down the road!

I loved the other Hasselblad (500c/m) but it was just too big and heavy to carry everywhere so I decided to try something else. I currently have 6 film cameras over my 2 digital bodies so I guess you can call me a film nut :lol:

Any bag recommendations to make swapping lenses somewhat less of a nightmare? :lol: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Recommendations based on what you're using would be best.

I find bags are dependent on a persons size. I am 5'8 and got Incase bags. I have the sling for light use (body and 2 lenses) and the backpack for the hefty stuff when I am either hiking or need to lug all my gear. The backpack can be pretty big depending on the person but I feel like for me, it's just small enough where it's not like wearing a turtle shell. Also they always have good deals, especially during the holidays. I think I got both of my bags at 50% off. Only thing I don't like about the sling is it's not hiking friendly as it can go all over the place depending on if you are in some rough terrain. I wish it had a waste strap that would solve that problem.

https://www.incase.com/shop/devices/camera/dslr/

I know people have heard of Langly's but I have struggled so hard to not get their bags cause they look so pleasing to the eye. Functionally I have heard they aren't the best bags and for the price tag, that isn't something I want to invest in. The deal breaker for me is where the tripod straps are. I hate waling with the tripod not stick up. You just end up stabbing people when you are out and about (I live in the city btw).

Any bag recommendations to make swapping lenses somewhat less of a nightmare?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Recommendations based on what you're using would be best.
I'm currently using the Sony LCSASB1/B Active Sling Bag

I was just considering the a7RII. Are you happy with it? What are some of the cons?

I just got it a few days ago so I can't really evaluate it. Plus, I don't have any true E-mount lenses for it yet. The 55mm 1.8 is on it's way, but I've currenly just been using legacy glass. So far, so good. The image quality is crazy as well is the high ISO usage. 4K is nice too

What the.....you got a a7Rii? I was thinking you were on the film tip but that came out of no where. Wow man.....making getting cameras look so easy. Haha.

thanks for the tips all. took a telephoto but that 55 1.8 is a godsend. i really need to commit and buy 1....

Question for you guys that do shoots for people: do you crop your pics in standard sizes (ex 4x6, etc) so its ez for them to print? ive only been shooting for use online so been cropping it however i wanted but unsure whats the protocol...

Question for you guys that do shoots for people: do you crop your pics in standard sizes (ex 4x6, etc) so its ez for them to print? ive only been shooting for use online so been cropping it however i wanted but unsure whats the protocol...

Don't take this for badem but I worked for my college magazine back in the days and the one thing you never wanted to do is crop a photo any different from the aspect ratio it came in. It's rare to brake that rule but there are times you would for say when you are shooting a profile photo for a magazine spread (ex. author photo on a website could be a square). But I would advise from making your own ratios and making your photo into something that it isn't. If it wasn't for Instagram, I don't think anyone would shoot photos 1:1 ratio.

hmm thanks for the tip fongstarr but any insight as to why? (ive never taken any photo classes, etc so no idea) but i used crop to try to reframe images and cut out uncessary parts of whatever pic im editting.

ex.

thanks!

I dont really like images that have been cropped into different aspect ratios unless its 16:9, 16:10, 1:1, or physically printed crop.

What the.....you got a a7Rii? I was thinking you were on the film tip but that came out of no where. Wow man.....making getting cameras look so easy. Haha.

I was. I shoot film for fun and personal projects. I use digital for my paid shoots and as a walk around if I ever need to upload to Instagram quickly LOL.

But, nah man! It's just a cycle of buying and selling. That's the great thing about quality gear. They don't lose too much value.

Don't take this for badem but I worked for my college magazine back in the days and the one thing you never wanted to do is crop a photo any different from the aspect ratio it came in. It's rare to brake that rule but there are times you would for say when you are shooting a profile photo for a magazine spread (ex. author photo on a website could be a square). But I would advise from making your own ratios and making your photo into something that it isn't. If it wasn't for Instagram, I don't think anyone would shoot photos 1:1 ratio.

Exaclty what Fong said. You actually kind of want to leave room so that the client can crop.

1:1 ratio is actually pretty popular with medium format cameras.

^^^^No...I know 1:1 is a medium format thing but I am talking in regards to present day digital and how people shoot with the "square" in mind because knowing Instagram will crop it's edges on the app (or used to). Before IG, I always shot assuming it would be a rectangle but that app literally has me shooting differently. It's even got me shooting vertical now. Haha.

I think the no crop thing goes back to how film was treated. I think in general, film was never cropped into crazy forms. You would take the photo you shot, develop it and there you have it. Obviously cropping creates a more dramatic feel at times but it should really be the photographer that shoots it that way and should not be done in post to make a photo more dramatic. So if someone saw that photo ArmenExchange just posted up, everyone right away would never believe you shot that out of the camera and would assume you did some crazy crop after the facts. It just sort of takes away from the original photo. I think for the most part, everything should be shot correctly with minimal cropping after the facts. If you have to do an extreme crop, I just don't think that is a good photo but these 50mp cameras will tell me otherwise.

But this was with film so things could be different with digital. I would do crops like this in my mag class (if it was shot wide) and would have to fight for designing it this way. I guess it could depend on how your photo would be used. For web you can practically do anything. Print......you should stick to basic cropping.

Last edited:
yeah filling the frame is all fun and games until you print 8x10 or larger and compromises have to get made in the composition :nerd:

I just got it a few days ago so I can't really evaluate it. Plus, I don't have any true E-mount lenses for it yet. The 55mm 1.8 is on it's way, but I've currenly just been using legacy glass. So far, so good. The image quality is crazy as well is the high ISO usage. 4K is nice too
Yeah, I'm gonna cop it I think.

Yeah, I'm gonna cop it I think.
Do it. I upgraded a few weeks ago to the A7RII and use the 85mm 1.8 Batis. I pre-ordered the Sony Version of the Nifty 50. Should be here early May. I had an A7II prior and its a major upgrade. No cons so far.

Back
Top Bottom