The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Still learning photography. I'll show the photos I took for a prom couple. First time doing a couple shoot. Surprisingly, used a jammed 50mm 1.4, the 75-300mm III USM, and the kit 18-55. Criticize me! Bring it on! Need help with getting better portraiture skills.

Fong!

Pics of your sling? I'm looking for one and may be interested!

The Chrome one?

nikomessenger_black_hero_enlarge_1.jpg
nikomessenger_black_v1_enlarge.jpg
nikomessenger_black_v2_enlarge.jpg
nikomessenger_ls_2_1_1.jpg
nikov1_black_enlarge_1_1.jpg

To be honest, the bag just didn't fit what I have and what I like. The way the dividers are, I would always have to keep my lens off and I like to have it on already so when I take out my camera, I am ready to shoot. The material is way more stiff then the Incase bag that I have but in retrospect, I wonder if that is the main issue with why I am not feeling my Incase bag anymore. Also the bag feels like you have a small jetpack on. I only used it once and it has been sitting in my closet ever since as a back up bag. PM me if you want it and I'll give it to you cheap.

Droberto-I suggest zooming out on a few pictures. You want to try and avoid cutting off body parts as much as possible. As far as white balance goes you could fix that on a few of those pics.

Can someone tell me if these are the only full frame camera's that Nikon has? D4, D3X, D800 and D600

Last edited:
Droberto-I suggest zooming out on a few pictures. You want to try and avoid cutting off body parts as much as possible. As far as white balance goes you could fix that on a few of those pics.

Can someone tell me if these are the only full frame camera's that Nikon has? D4, D3X, D800 and D600
D800E, D700, D3S, and D3.

Not bad work Heezy. The only critique I have is that most of your pictures has the subject dead center. It works with the 2 pictures you posted because of the leading lines in the background. I love your architecture shots tho. :smokin

Thanks, bro. I really appreciate that. I am very aware of the rule of thirds, but I purposely "break" that rule for many of my compositions. I personally don't think it makes for a more interesting photo. I'm more interested in symmetry and leading lines and find that with a solid subject and background, the rule of thirds is negligible. Just my opinion, though.

So I ended up lying to myself an ordered another full frame camera. 5D Mark III should be coming in tomorrow. Probably not going to keep it permanently, but wanted to try it out some more since my boy is out the county with his. May or may not switch to Canon altogether (waiting for more info on 7D Mark II and rumored D400)

^Nice job! My first time was yesterday also and I only got 50 failed attempts :smh: I must've been really close to them with no backdrop and it just didn't look right no matter how long I kept the shutter open.

Thanks man! Honestly, if I didn't read this thread, I probably wouldn't have been able to get this shot off. Everything happened so fast when the fireworks started and it helped just having a base for my settings. I shot on Bulb, put my focus to infinity, f/13 and ISO 100 or 200 think.

From there, it was just all about timing. Definitely enjoyed it though. I was surprised that I was pretty much the only one at this show trying to get a shot. I'd love to try again for NYE or something.

interesting but i think it'd look better with the whole subject in focus. did you pick up a lens baby or something?

cool location for portraits, diggin the clouds

interesting but i think it'd look better with the whole subject in focus. did you pick up a lens baby or something?

cool location for portraits, diggin the clouds

its a tilt-shift lense i used for these, the editing was more what i wanted input in as i decided to put more work on the PP of some of my work...

for instance...

PBS - Photos look great. I would have gotten some more casual shots.
xharrorismx - Love those shots
ksteezy - Great shots as always. I agree with bjamez, the entire subject should be in focus and not just the face. But this is photography, and your art is your art. I understand you want to do a little more work in PP but in the second set, I think that something should be in focus. If nothing in the picture is in focus, I think the picture should be purposely obviously out of focus.

Indy Fireworks by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

My one decent shot from the 4th. Too bad it was at a fairgrounds and I was in the parking lot:

north-3.jpg

And some other shots from my short vacation up north:

north-1a.jpg
north-6b.jpg
north-2.jpg
north-9.jpg
north-5a.jpg

Ok guise. I went and opted for the t3i instead of the t3 or the Nikon.

I'm loving this thing, but I work all weekend until Tuesday so I haven't really gotten a chance to mess around with it fully yet.

And suggestions on what starter gear I should get? All I have is the camera, kit lens, and memory card

Back
Top Bottom