The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

What type of materials do I need for the back drop used here

http://www.projectblitz.com/footwear/new-balance/new-balance-classic/new-balance-998.html

setup, and whatnot

very much appreciate it. will rep + send gold 
If you want to know the tricks of product photography you can watch this.

https://fstoppers.com/studio/amazingly-depth-video-tutorial-product-lighting-865

But if you are just taking dope pictures of your shoes you only need this.

https://fstoppers.com/studio/fstoppers-lighting-diagrams-shooting-products-black-3608

I'll post my setup tonight when I get home.
Can't wait to see it. Might just invest in a smaller setup than what I'm envisioning.
Also looking at getting this cheap continuous light setup for $40 but I'd prefer a strobe set but can't get those for

Week in and week out I see countless friends via social media become newlyweds, new parents, engaged, ect.. and every, single time it's horrendously documented by some amateur "photographer" that charges $300 a sessions and $2k for a wedding. It hurts me to see friends fall into the traps of these talentless businessmen/women. That alone was more than enough to want to transition from a 9-5 to full time photography, I figured I could be charging $2k with a shoddy website and one wedding in my portfolio. Granted my work would definitely not be the latter.

/rant

Last edited:
Week in and week out I see countless friends via social media become newlyweds, new parents, engaged, ect.. and every, single time it's horrendously documented by some amateur "photographer" that charges $300 a sessions and $2k for a wedding. It hurts me to see friends fall into the traps of these talentless businessmen/women. That alone was more than enough to want to transition from a 9-5 to full time photography, I figured I could be charging $2k with a shoddy website and one wedding in my portfolio. Granted my work would definitely not be the latter.

/rant

You can't feel bad for those that book **** photogs and willingly pay them, if they cared they would hire the right photog, but to most people photography is just another nesesary chore of setting up a wedding, so they designate a budget and so long as the photog fits that budget they can care less....that's their fault, no photographer is walking around with a gun forcing people to book them...also you have clients who just like anything go after a BRAND NAME and ignore the body of work...some photogs have made a name for themselves through good marketing but in reality SUCKA AS PHOTOGRAPHERS, but some brides just want to tell their friends "ohh this guy **** my wedding" simply because is a known photographer and paid him a ridiculous amount of money for subpar work...when they could have paid a talented intern 1/4th for amazing work if they just took the time to research....wedding photography is a tough business, your competition is with how you market yourself and not the quality of your work...sadly.

What type of materials do I need for the back drop used here

http://www.projectblitz.com/footwear/new-balance/new-balance-classic/new-balance-998.html

setup, and whatnot

very much appreciate it. will rep + send gold 
If you want to know the tricks of product photography you can watch this.

https://fstoppers.com/studio/amazingly-depth-video-tutorial-product-lighting-865

But if you are just taking dope pictures of your shoes you only need this.

https://fstoppers.com/studio/fstoppers-lighting-diagrams-shooting-products-black-3608

#nice

I can't wait to try that glass setup. Don't have anywhere to put it now

my current setup is a bookshelf, but it works for my purposes #getinwhereyoufitin

/rant

i see what you are saying but if you truly believe you can/would do better #thenbeaboutit, don't sit on the sidelines, #getinthegame bro! ultimately as long as the client is happy, thats all that matters but maybe #iftheyknewbettertheywoulddobetter...

I used a plate shelf in my kitchen once for some pics mistook of my girls YOTH AF1s but I want that reflection effect

I used a plate shelf in my kitchen once for some pics mistook of my girls YOTH AF1s but I want that reflection effect

yea, it's a glass shelf so it happens to work for getting that reflection, it was definitely a serendipitous thing that the bookshelf works given i don't have a lot of space:

Yea just like that. I may be able to put a small piece of glass on my shelf but it'll reduce the room I have for the item. Might just buy a glass shelf thing

So kzteezy has made me curious about IG ... I think in going to open one up.

Man wut!?....bro you can't sleep on IG!

EyeFi x Snapseed x IG = people will start to follow and your pictures will start getting featured in some big accounts....just be strict with the content of your feed....sometimes I post and if I don't like the crop I would delete it even after 80+ likes....lol

Link it to your Facebook/tumblr, use hashtags that relate and follow the big name pages in whatever field of photography you are in....seriously IG is the wave, I would lose it if I ever get spotted by The IG account and they feature my stuff...I've seen accounts go from 2k followers to 35k in a matter of 6 hours....INSANE.

So kzteezy has made me curious about IG ... I think in going to open one up.

EyeFi x Snapseed x IG = people will start to follow and your pictures will start getting featured in some big accounts....just be strict with the content of your feed....sometimes I post and if I don't like the crop I would delete it even after 80+ likes....lol

Link it to your Facebook/tumblr, use hashtags that relate and follow the big name pages in whatever field of photography you are in....seriously IG is the wave, I would lose it if I ever get spotted by The IG account and they feature my stuff...I've seen accounts go from 2k followers to 35k in a matter of 6 hours....INSANE.
All this! Iconosquare also helps with marketing IG accounts, multiple uploads, contests organizing, can like 300+ pics in minutes (usually average 6 follows per 100 likes given)

Thank me laters.

I was planning to charge a decent amount, nothing more I believe my product should be worth. Got a lot of work to do before I hit that 3k price tag, but it sounds like a goal to reach since this is what I love to do.. Thanks for all the tips will keep shooting everyday and will update with pics :nerd: when wedding comes up.

pics from last night and today..

Gaithersburg by Benssick., on Flickr

ill by Benssick., on Flickr

Sick by Benssick., on Flickr

Rockville by Benssick., on Flickr

Lvrry by Benssick., on Flickr

"No one ever taught me" - Wang by Benssick., on Flickr

100114 by Benssick., on Flickr

I finally tried taking newborn pics of my daughter. I was super lost lol only took about 65-70 shots and I only like about 3. Mostly because my poor posing had to battle a wide awake baby. This is the best shot I think

I shot in raw and this is with no post. Gonna edit it soon

Last edited:
I finally tried taking newborn pics of my daughter. I was super lost lol only took about 65-70 shots and I only like about 3. Mostly because my poor posing had to battle a wide awake baby. This is the best shot I think

I shot in raw and this is with no post. Gonna edit it soon
Hey man, what was your process and setup when shooting this? I ask because it is very underexposed and your white balance is off. I understand that both can be fixed in post, but if you can avoid more work in post you can focus more on shooting. Just trying to help you out.

What are these EyeFis and Snapseeds that you speak of camera man?

Hey man, what was your process and setup when shooting this? I ask because it is very underexposed and your white balance is off. I understand that both can be fixed in post, but if you can avoid more work in post you can focus more on shooting. Just trying to help you out.

Setup was practically nonexistent. Honestly I didn't really prepare for it. I gave up on trying to take pics of her after seeing that she hated being naked so last night was a "whatever" night

eye-fi is a memory card that allows you to wirelessly send the photos you take in your cam to your phone, tablet, or computer and snapseed is a phone app for editing photos. A darn good one I might add

Eye-fi is a wireless SD card that sends pics to your phone/ipad or computer.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...eye-fi wifi sd card&sprefix=eye-fi+wi,aps,206

Snapseed is an iphone App that allows you to edit pics quickly.

So I'd that eye-fi snapped combo better than my 6d wifi to cell0hone/vsco cam combination?? Never saw a need for anything else since the 6d has wifi built in.

So I'd that eye-fi snapped combo better than my 6d wifi to cell0hone/vsco cam combination?? Never saw a need for anything else since the 6d has wifi built in.
If you have wifi already then you should be good. Only reason I can think of would make you buy it is if you prefer Eye-fi's app interface over Canon's. Still don't think the additional cost is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom