The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Does anyone have the Tokina 11-18mm f/2.8 for Nikon? Is so, anyone have thoughts? I heard that it was a little bit more sharper than the Nikkoe 12-24mm f/4.

Yes...get the Tokina over the Nikon. Not only is it sharper but better in low lit areas. I never shot with it but I held it and it is tough as nails. Good bangfor its buck and as wide as you can get without the fisheye distortion.

Check out the photos: http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=12955

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Does anyone have the Tokina 11-18mm f/2.8 for Nikon? Is so, anyone have thoughts? I heard that it was a little bit more sharper than the Nikkoe 12-24mm f/4.

Yes...get the Tokina over the Nikon. Not only is it sharper but better in low lit areas. I never shot with it but I held it and it is tough as nails. Good bang for its buck and as wide as you can get without the fisheye distortion.

Check out the photos: http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=12955
Thanks for the input! The site you included is great.

4242071563_bce406580f_b.jpg

Took a walk through the park today and this is the one photo i was pleased with.

NT photographers...

Photography has been a hobby, an expensive one but a really fun and creative one. However, I am consistently asked for work, sometimes I do it for free orsometimes I reject it, simply because I'm of the mind that if it becomes a job (with requirement, expectations, deadlines, etc) it's no longer fun. :-(

With that being said, I think I will begin charging for some assignments mainly to supplement this habit called photography. Besides some of the jobs arebecoming too demanding that I'm just forced to ask for a fee, even if it's a small one.

All this jibberish is shared simply to ask the question... Do you know any good blog, free wesbites, templates, etc.that I could use to display and organizesome of my better work???

I have Flickr page (Pro) but I've filled with random crap and iPhone snaps. I would hate to refer potential clients to that page or random folks I mightphotograph. At this time, I don't want to spend the money on a domain name, host, designs, etc either, I'm not on that level and don't know whereI'm going either. But I do want to have a designated place, something clean enough even for a business card.

If you have any advise, sugg., or care to share your personal photography website PLEASE do so... or if you like to share links to other portfolio you findimpressive, clean, and are aware that they're using a free service.

Thanks. My bad for not spacing this long message out or proofreading but typing from cell.

^^ By a domain ( godaddy.com ) you can buy email address and webspace too but that will required you to do more work and build your own site ... anyways buy adomain and email if you need it or just open one in Gmail .. then go to wix.com and take a free template .. if you want it without ads buy it and read theinstruction in how to link it to the domain .. you have a professional looking site for 100 bucks or so ..

Most popular free blog sites are blogger, wordpress and tumblr. I am not sure which might be better then the other but I know wordpress allows you to do morecustom things to your site if you know CSS coding. Blogger is a more straight forward blog site and tumblr I am not even sure about. Check out those sites andlook into it and even just roam around on what sites look better:

wordpress.com
blogger.com
tumblr.com

Thanks Rikan and Fongstarr for the quick response... any others please share ideas, personal websites or others portfolio

@Rikan - I will check out wix, although I rather not spend the money at this time I understand owning and having a domain name will give it a cleaner and moreimportantly a professional look... even if I'm just pointing The URL to a blog. We will see, a couple $ won't hurt.

@Fongstarr - Thanks, although I'm familiar with those blogs, I will cont. to compare... I guess I wanted to see if one was more popular among photographersdisplaying work or which one y'all might have expierence with or which offers better customization and features. I think ideally, I would rather havecategories for the type of images then just a long digest of images.

I want to buy a domain that will let me host a Flash gallery called "Autoviewer" I'm stupid when it comes to buying online "space" or adomain. lol

You can have categories for your images. I think blogs for photographers (kind of like designers) are great cause it shows that you have been working onprojects rather then showing the same photos like some photographers websites. Just make sure as you post pics, tag them what they are and then on the side,put up the categories widget and then the user can just click on what specific kind of photos they want to see. You don't necessary have to have a blog andblog like a blogger, giving your own 2 cents on every little thing. You can just post up pics, have a brief description of what was shot and let your pics dothe rest of the talking.

And having a domain name on blogger or wordpress is literally like $15 a year and you don't have to go through godaddy.com or any other site like that.There should just be options on the blog sites that allow you to purchase the domain name. I think it is worth it cause it is just easier to tell people ratherthen "my site is fongphotography.blogspot.com."

Fong, I agree and thanks. Most likely I will purchase a domain name.

Santi, feel free to PM... although I'm asking for sugg. I beleive k have a good grasp... I hope this helps:

Domain name - is just your wesbites URL (ie www.santipics.com), no host, no space, no email, nothing... Approx. $10/yr
So when you say, you want to buy a domain to host a particular gallery, the domain won't actually host anything, since it doesn't have space...it's just your address

Host/Server space - depending on whom you purchase your space from, you can read the features and check if they are compatible with that particular flashgallery you are interested in. An additional expense.

Blogs/Free host - self explanatory, but generally are limited on the changes you can make or templates (gallery) you can apply but you can have your domainpoint to it (saving on host fees).

Templates - quick way to make a professional looking website without coding from scratch, but you need a place (server/host/blog) to host it.

That's all I can think off at this time to help and try to break it down... not trying to insult your intelligence and anyone can feel free to correct meor add on.

Does anybody use a digital concepts lens? I just saw an 8mm fisheye and macro extenstion for about $300. Trying to figure out If this is a good deal or not. AsI am still néw to photography, I'm still a lil uncertain about the terminologies.

Few of my favorites...getting back into the photography thing.
My attempt to make a light box. haha.
4242936209_69873f6122.jpg

4158821491_48d7577f8a.jpg

sorry if they're too big
embarassed.gif

jordan supreme, nice picture with the bridge, and the last picture you might want to consider cropping so the bird appears bigger

i cropped this picture a bit, same type of bird too:

4168196862_992480c4c7_b.jpg

Originally Posted by jordan supreme

wqvac1.jpg

27xldsm.jpg

292pmk5.jpg

Comments, Criticism, and Suggestions are welcome
First one seems a bit dark, second one could be a bit sharper.. crop it also, and the third I prob would have tried to zoom into the bird more

Do you have any post-processing software? (photoshop, gimp, etc?) and what kinda camera/ lens are you shooting with?

Originally Posted by BlazeA4

4168196862_992480c4c7_b.jpg
Nice capture!

Here is my contribution for today..
4246639805_317e026d3f.jpg

I've been using my film cameras for two years and finally got a dslr for xmas. Some first shots from my d5000. I have yet to really get the hang of itlol

22563_221813582132_684407132_3634152_7549074_n.jpg

22063_231492947132_684407132_3683462_1853240_n.jpg

22063_231492977132_684407132_3683463_6741067_n.jpg

22563_221813482132_684407132_3634140_4761075_n.jpg

22063_224040077132_684407132_3646633_4474796_n.jpg

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

First one seems a bit dark, second one could be a bit sharper.. crop it also, and the third I prob would have tried to zoom into the bird more

Do you have any post-processing software? (photoshop, gimp, etc?) and what kinda camera/ lens are you shooting with?

thanks for the suggestions... i'm honestly just barely starting out and i don't have any sort of software or photo enhancing technology at the moment.
i am planning on getting something soon though. Is one better than another or all they all pretty much the same???

also, i'm shooting with a Cannon XSI but i haven't really figured out all the little gadgets it has on it.
i've got the 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm.

today's photo
2h8bk94.jpg

thanks for the suggestions... i'm honestly just barely starting out and i don't have any sort of software or photo enhancing technology at the moment.
i am planning on getting something soon though. Is one better than another or all they all pretty much the same???

also, i'm shooting with a Cannon XSI but i haven't really figured out all the little gadgets it has on it.
i've got the 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm.

Download GIMP its free. And just play around with your camera and take lots of photos.. that's the best way to learn

27xldsm.jpg

Is it just me or if you stare at the background,
it almost seems as if the bridge is perpendicular to the ground
and goes straight down?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Kinda trippy.

Originally Posted by Sugahill19

I've been using my film cameras for two years and finally got a dslr for xmas. Some first shots from my d5000. I have yet to really get the hang of it lol

22563_221813582132_684407132_3634152_7549074_n.jpg

22063_231492947132_684407132_3683462_1853240_n.jpg

22063_231492977132_684407132_3683463_6741067_n.jpg

ebc16e5a142fb338f207b2a016741a21e04679a4.pjpg

ad5262d57f1fd27ab0b3c8f55ff5e723507bb463.pjpg

Back
Top Bottom