**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

I tend not to subscribe to the idea of growing out of certain styles, age-wise. Clothing to me is as much about expression as anything, so in addition to representing my allegiance to the golden era and the version of NYC that birthed me, I'm also expressing what I think is fly. So, that will only change if my personal tastes change. It's one thing to not like an item as much as you used to, but I'm not going to not wear something I like because it is more juvenile than the next item. ...I mean, to keep it 100, by the standards that say a certain hat is juvenile, we should have all grown out of all this stuff long ago anyway.

This is not directed at you now, Middy - just in general.

It always irks me when people post on here - I need to get my grown man style on and stuff like that. It often wreaks of insecurity. Like - you have to tell people you're grown - you don't experience life as an adult enough and you have to worry about other people perceiving you as a child. ...Being grown isn't a uniform.

Besides, wanting to be "grown" is generally the sign of a kid. Once you're grown, all want to do is be a kid again!

And, finally, there's nothing 'grown" about announcing your impending change in style of dress on a message board about sneakers....

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest once this subject came up.

Orange and navy color blocking
These would be considered as a middle tier vintage piece, that are currently going for over $100 now, like the blue and red post above...these are the pieces I really like.
just curious how do these fit? i hear a medium runs like an XL. is that piece for sale that you posted

just curious how do these fit? i hear a medium runs like an XL. is that piece for sale that you posted
These do run big, so if you wear today's large, a medium would be fine, so you can size down with this sweatshirt...The picture I posted isn't for sale, it's from my collection, I just wanted to show another color...is does come in another color too, I just can't remember what colorway

Last edited:

The sweatshirt was recently on the Bay, sold for $390...It's a Japanese version.
The rugby is clearly and stated to be custom, but I'm on the fence for the sweatshirt

Last edited:

The sweatshirt was recently on the Bay, sold for $390...It's a Japanese version.
The rugby is clearly and stated to be custom, but I'm on the fence for the sweatshirt

I was speaking to Jay about the sweatshirt offline. We're both pretty sure it's not actually a Japanese version, but rather a custom.

I actually even emailed the seller about measurements, and he said it was 28.5 pit to pit, which is a bit big for a Japanese XL as well.

The sweatshirt do resemble the Mt. Whitney one I have and posted a few pages back...

We were also trying to figure out what the base would have been. And, that's possibly a candidate. What's the tag look like on the Mt. Whitney - is it 80% cotton, 20% acrylic?

I have Japanese p-wing sweatshirts and they have different tagging.

We were also trying to figure out what the base would have been. And, that's possibly a candidate. What's the tag look like on the Mt. Whitney - is it 80% cotton, 20% acrylic?

I have Japanese p-wing sweatshirts and they have different tagging.
83% cotton 17% polyester, yeah that looks like a Mt. Whitney sweatshirt because it's got the young cut red elastic at the bottom. Doesn't the P-Wing have POLO stitched on the left or right cuff?

Last edited:
@pmiddy you gettin busy in here 8)

Also, please tell me this is inspired by some vintage piece.

Obviously, they've used the shark before, but that specific piece - nah. And, I wouldn't even consider the shark pieces "vintage" anyway. ...Are the trying to ride the already dead Givenchy wave?

I am interested to see that green tennis man derivative.

Man I'm really looking forward to that tennis print polo dropping. This turned out much nicer than I imagined although I probably wouldn't wear it.

Last edited:
83% cotton 17% polyester, yeah that looks like a Mt. Whitney sweatshirt because it's got the young cut red elastic at the bottom. Doesn't the P-Wing have POLO stitched on the left or right cuff?

Yes, Polo stitching on the elastic at the cuff was also missing.

Yes, Polo stitching on the elastic at the cuff was also missing.

Now, I've personally did the "POLO 1993" screen for myself, and I always put it out there that it was a custom. It was ALWAYS for my personal collection, and I already had the original sweatshirt. I wanted to create something inspired by that era but different, not to just copy an exact garment for what it is.

I just don't like it if you create something and call it REAL, because now your defrauding people. I have no problem admitting if I'm wrong, but my gut says otherwise.

Last edited:
Haha thanks @frankMatthews
I really enjoy this thread, and I currently have some free time. Many of my longtime friends that I grew with me in this culture have pretty much moved on, so it's cool to meet and build with other Ralph Lauren enthusiasts.

Other then the pwing sweatshirt that BIP put up recently this is the only other Japanese sweatshirt I KNOW of, being that I'm relatively new to Japanese Ralph Lauren

The Racing pullover I'm talking about is black with the big Polo 92 on the front (I know you have one). The design is fine, but the materials / cut / fit always made me think of like a coat of armor, or a super hero uniform. Given the racing line, that's basically by intent, but wasn't my cup of tea.
ok, yes i do have one and i went searching for it the other day. couldn't find it amongst the bins on top of bins and clothing racks smh. need the other racing pullover though.

I never really like the black p racing pullover so much either, after you zipped it up, it was just a black pullover coat.
The thing I disliked about the cycle track jackets and hats is that the print so easily flakes off, they were not made for longevity.
different black p racing pullover in reference to before by BIP, this is the one I thought of at first.

The sweatshirt do resemble the Mt. Whitney one I have and posted a few pages back...
I was speaking to Jay about the sweatshirt offline but rather a custom.
yeah mt. whitney was my first initial thought when i saw the auction. the white tipping on the cuffs is the giveaway.

This turned out much nicer than I imagined although I probably wouldn't wear it.
looks like they gave it the new "vintage" treatment. the sleeves look tattered. also looks like a custom fit. i'm tired of them doing this to all the new stuff. such a turnoff. just make it classic fit and no "vintage" treatment sheesh. curious if the shark graphic wraps around the back, unless it's just the front. shark week is so serious business.

Now, I've personally did the "POLO 1993" screen for myself, and I always put it out there that it was a custom. It was ALWAYS for my personal collection, and I already had the original sweatshirt. I wanted to create something inspired by that era but different, not to just copy an exact garment for what it is.

I just don't like it if you create something and call it REAL, because now your defrauding people. I have no problem admitting if I'm wrong, but my gut says otherwise.

custom came out nice. had me scratching my head at first , but i think pirate picked up one of them that you put up on the bay?

can we talk about custom / replica / fake longbills? haha

Agree. Now, in that auction, dude said he won a storage locker auction and that was in there. Whether that's true and dude was just working with incomplete info, or he was being coy and just trying to cover himself while implying something custom was original is a different question - one that I can't answer definitively. I will say that it has happened many times (in sneakers too) that somebody who should be a lot more knowledgeable tries to pull a fast one, all of a sudden acting like they know a lot less than they do. ...I had no idea these were fake/customs. Aight, if you say so. Again, don't know who the seller is though, so I can't really make an accusation here.

custom came out nice. had me scratching my head at first , but i think pirate picked up one of them that you put up on the bay?

Yes. Let's talk about some known collectors running around in fake / custom / replica 7-patches and some being in denial about it.

A fair amount of fake / custom / replica Summer hats out there too.

I just saw a very interesting fake / custom / replica you-know-where over the weekend. It wasn't represented as such, and it pulled good money.

trade me mediums for all of my large! took me forever to get my extra large to large, now i'm trying to get them to medium. the struggle is real

My dull pink indian head tee, is the country label in large fits like a medium, even though I purchased from a US market, I think it's from overseas, if you have a large comparable tee to trade hmu.

Yes, Polo Pirate is the only other person with the hoodie and I only mention it because I keep getting asked about it, (only 2 exist) had to do two test runs, both came out very well IMO. I spent over an hour with another collector who really wants one just yesterday, but there are a few people in front of him...plus I can't just buy the hoodie locally, I was lucky to get 2 (they are both official Ralph Lauren plaid hoodie with plain front, side pockets, no pony) I did a windbreaker for wifey, but she's not really into the culture, so now it's just archived.

Now replica hats 7 patch racing, Tommy rebel did a great job, because if I didn't see the real one next to the rep, it's very difficult to tell, minus no label inside.
Because of the fabric material it's a dead giveaway, which was great on his part, to not make it exactly the same, because people selling them for $500 plus, and I was told they were made for $25...go ahead and get your hustle on, because they are in demand, so to the highest bidder. I currently don't own any BB hats yet, but I like a lot of the ex/ kswiss and this plain sportsman he did...just do a search

I can partly understand the hunger for long bill replicas, the originals asking price is 5k or better for stadiums, racing sand summer hats. Not to mention the vintage long bill are dope imo

I can partly understand the hunger for long bill replicas, the originals asking price is 5k or better for stadiums, racing sand summer hats. Not to mention the vintage long bill are dope imo

Just to get this out of the way and make it clear, I have no issues with customs as long as they are represented properly.

I definitely understand that people are unwilling to pay the asking price for these items. And, I don't blame them. But, to me, I just say, let it go. If there's something that I like but am unwilling to pay for, I just resign myself to the fact that I'll never own it. ...Either that, or try to figure a way to come up with the money to acquire it in the least painful way possible.

But, to me, it seems antithetical for somebody who holds the culture so dear to don a replica - and pay substantial coin to do so! That's like looking for love in a brothel.

It's also another thing if customs/replicas are made above board and treated as such. Like, when all those grey p-wing tees were screen printed years back - that's fine if you want to produce some custom wings that you can wear to the gym or something. But, once somebody puts one on ebay for like $250, it undermines the integrity of the whole production run, IMO.

@pmiddy you gettin busy in here 8)
Man I'm really looking forward to that tennis print polo dropping. This turned out much nicer than I imagined although I probably wouldn't wear it.

That's actually a nice piece. I passed on tiger polo , but will probably get this one.

Back
Top Bottom