**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

Company hasn't been doing too well, so I can understand the move.

Interested to see how Larsson's background at H&M / Old Navy transitions here.

@Kush-nice pickup on the floral. I had a congressman blazer with the same pattern a few years ago.

@Nat- nice vintage wears

Interested to see how Larsson's background at H&M / Old Navy transitions here.
You've already seen it. Since the label switch the quality has been on the decline across all lines. We've gone from real coyote fur and shearling to faux fur, full lamskin jackets to hybrid zip sweaters with only leather on the front, full leather gloves to hybrid gloves half nylon half leather, heavy 100% wool sweaters to wool blend, full patchwork cardigans to only the front on being made of a few swatches, thick tweed fubet
r patterns to stamped patters on lightweight wool blend, and the list goes on.

With new CEOs connection to H&M and Old Navy, we all know that eventually the RL departments will be filled with Polo tagged GAP clothing worldwide. Its all about maximum profits moving forward. I just hope that there are still a few wellmade items that a sprinkled throughout future collections.

Last edited:
Yup, RL been on the decline since the blue label switch; the line that I and most others can readily afford. I'm just guessing the same goes for the other lines as well.

It all makes sense now. Well, not really, but the motives have been brought to light.

You've already seen it. Since the label switch the quality has been on the decline across all lines. We've gone from real coyote fur and shearling to faux fur, full lamskin jackets to hybrid zip sweaters with only leather on the front, full leather gloves to hybrid gloves half nylon half leather, heavy 100% wool sweaters to wool blend, full patchwork cardigans to only the front on being made of a few swatches, thick tweed fubet

With new CEOs connection to H&M and Old Navy, we all know that eventually the RL departments will be filled with Polo tagged GAP clothing worldwide. Its all about maximum profits moving forward. I just hope that there are still a few wellmade items that a sprinkled throughout future collections.
Didn't know that about the clothing as I don't have many RL pieces (only a few RRL, which are actually all good quality, but expensive).

As a finance guy, I'm sure the board voted to get Ralph out, but also consider the fact that he may be looking to retire soon anyhow.

Yeah, I wanted to get another pair of leather gloves last year but the ones I ordered were so disappointing. Compared them to the same model of gloves I bought a couple years back and I smh.

@Kush-nice pickup on the floral. I had a congressman blazer with the same pattern a few years ago.

@Nat- nice vintage wears

Woah, some good insight. I had no idea all of this went down with RLauren. Most of my wardrobe is RLauren and always has been.

Reading the NY times article I think there's gonna be more of a move to separate the divisions in the brand. I think we'll see a fast fashion route with the regular RL stuff & who knows what'll happen to the luxury lines. Seems like Ralph really wants almost two brands under the same house.

Reading the NY times article I think there's gonna be more of a move to separate the divisions in the brand. I think we'll see a fast fashion route with the regular RL stuff & who knows what'll happen to the luxury lines. Seems like Ralph really wants almost two brands under the same house.

I saw a response on a reddit thread discussing this that king of sheds some light on this

Keep in mind the poster said they were a fromer RRL employee, and while it seem legit, still take it with a grain of salt

Sorry, this is a late post but I worked for Double RL for close to 5 years, and wanted to give my input on a lot of these comments. Though it is sad to see him step down, the company as a whole has been in the hands of others below Ralph for years. What will be interesting is to see how the public reacts to this information. While it is the hands of obviously capable people, Ralph is a household name, so it is difficult to guess how allegiances will fall if he is thought to no longer be at the head.

This isn't all too shocking though. In the past 3 years the company has consolidated like crazy. Polo (Blue Label) is taking on black label and RLX (Now Polo Sport), and Purple Label is to be the only Ultra-luxury brand. Ralph Home is now an appointment only store, and Double RL has moved from more concept driven clothing lines, to a heavier shipment of "Icon" pieces (AKA more wearable). These changes in the structure seem to show the company wanted Ralph to step down and tried to make the tiering a little more accessible to the general public.

As for the moving to more affordable. I do not think this will be the case. (My guess). Lauren by Ralph Lauren, and Factory stores are the bread and butter of the company. That being said, they do not exist without your higher tiered brands. Purple Label and collection come down the runway and they are what sell the lower tiered. The average consumer is not aware of this tiering system and assumes the advertisements they see are what they are buying at Macy's. In many ways, the brand needs the higher tiers to legitimize their lower quality product. And Purple Label/Collection sell like crazy. Not to you or I, but customers will spend 250,000-500,000 a year on this product.

Double RL is a whole other story. The Brooklyn store is slotted to open in October, so with it expanding one could argue it is doing well. However, it does exist as a pet project for Ralph, and having done a huge expansion of the brand over the course of the past 4 years (2 in NY, Hong Kong, London, Japan, and Now BK) and those build outs being very costly, I doubt they are a profitable brand yet, so it will be interesting to see what will become of the brand.

The last thing (and why I have a throwaway) is that Rugby unfortunately shut down partly because of a downturn in business, but more likely due to what the retail industry has termed "The Urban Kiss of Death." In essence, a brand will shut down a popular or profitable brand if it sees that it is selling largely to an "urban crowd." From RL's perspective, they have created a luxury company, and the fear is that if the public attributes RL with an urban crowd, they will lose both their lower tier's customer (Lauren by Ralph Lauren/Factory) as well as your top tier (purple label) as neither want the association. This is a terrible practice, but it is based off the results of Tommy Hilfiger (who is desperately trying to crawl back) and Nautica. Unfortunately, Rugby became a fear, so they replaced it with Denim and Supply as a way to try and get the Williamsburg styled kids (nailed it....).

Sorry for the rant. Happy to answer any questions about the brand (RRL. Loved working there).

If there was an urban kiss of death polo blue label prolly woulda shut down years ago! LOL I'm not buying it just like people weren't buying rugby :smile:

Last edited:
:lol: Urban Kiss of Death

The RRL employee that posted this is dead on. Lots of Black Label Moto-style items showed up under Blue Label Polo this season, and Ralph himself hinted at the end of Black Label in a sit down interview last year. I really appreciate the writers knowldge on whats going within the company. It sounds like there will still be higher tier, quality items available.

How does the indian beacon button down fit? Does anyone know? I am between a sml and med in classic fit. 40 reg is my size.

Verbal Kint & SMB - Much appreciated

The Sr19 cargo are great quality and the fit is great.

That dude was super spot on with the current state of affairs, and I definitely noticed how they are rolling black label pieces into the blue label line. The pants are damn near identical, waxed denim and cargos so that completely makes sense.

I believe 100% that it was the urban community that brought down Rugby, I know that RL had used graphics since the beginning but for some reason around the time Rugby reached it's peak there was this huge trendy wave of people all of a sudden wearing polo, I blame Juelz Sanatana. :smh:

Lastly I recall one of the first RRL shops, I walked in there by mistake because the store didn't have a sign, there was nothing on the door, and it wasn't sold online. With every new season comes more items with logos on them, and it's definitely becoming more watered down and main stream. Everything outside of the denim used to look like it was for a cowboy or someone working on a ranch. I'm sure they had to diversify the line to try and become more popular.

Employees at the flagship stores have it so easy compared to outlet. They are allowed to use their phones, talk as much as they want, and it isn't that busy. I've seen this at all of the stores in the DC area.

You really came up congrats !

Knew it was coming. Still hate it had to be Ralph.
tired.gif

This jus came in from the RL.com. Fits well but my gripe is the sleeves are thin and the jacket itself is lite. Haven't owned many varsity style jackets but compared to my HS letterman it's like a lightweight jacket. Came with a garment bag and RL hanger tho lol...

Back
Top Bottom