The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Oz Open Nadal Out)

You can tell Martina wasn't too interest in taking a photo with Serena.

I don't think Steffi's record will get broken, but if anyone can do it, Serena can. I do think she'll have more than 18 when she finally decides to hang it up.

Congrats to Serena on #18 and to Caroline for having a great summer on the hard courts. I've definitely become a Woz fan after watching her play this year.

Last edited:
Pam Shriver used to be terrible. Carillo has been terrible to Serena for years. I still remember when Serena beat Sharapova at the Australian Open in 05 and Carillo was so hurt about it that she had the nerve to say "Maria is still the bettter player" LOL. Her and Patrick McEnroe are both scumbags.

Yeah I've hated Mary almost 10 years then because that's when it started. You would have thought she lost. I truly don't believe Steffi would have 22 if Seles wouldn't have been stabbed. That might be an unpopular opinion but the loser who stabbed her must have felt the same way. Gonna be weird watching the men's final without a Federer slurp fest even though I wanted him to be there lol.

Last edited:
Yeah I've hated Mary almost 10 years then because that's when it started. You would have thought she lost. I truly don't believe Steffi would have 22 if Seles wouldn't have been stabbed. That might be an unpopular opinion but the loser who stabbed her must have felt the same way. Gonna be weird watching the men's final without a Federer slurp fest even though I wanted him to be there lol.

So much truth. Monica was a beast in the early 90s and her stabbing really helped Steffi but I don't take anything away from what Steffi did.

Where do you guys rank Steffi? Didn't really get to watch her when she played. Maybe a few matches but I don't remember much.

Steffi was a beast. She had the greatest forehand on the women's side of all-time. It is hard to say where anyone ranks at this point. I think she's number 1 but I can make arguments for Chris, Martina or Serena.

Last edited:
Can u imagine the dominance if Serena played back in the old days against those women
mean.gif
Nah, it doesn't work that way.  The game has changed too much over the years.  The quality of training, the court conditions and most importantly, the equipment (racquets & more so, the strings).  Can't compare generations, IMO.

Anyway... hope it's gonna be a great final.

14993620138_90764bbcfc_o.jpg
14993620148_e3f165b6dd_o.jpg

The pressure of getting 18 is probably the reason for the inconsistency this year. Serena wasn't mentally tough in those matches and she got rattled really easy. Just compare this year to last two where we were pretty much assured she would win at least 2 majors and she barely lost at all.

Sinner is totally right - you can't compare players from different eras - it's a pointless late night pub debate. Steffi the best in her era, Serena the best in hers. It's like comparing Laver with Fed - impossible to judge.

Kei's got nothing on Marin's service-games... this could be problematic. 

EDIT ~ Marin's FH's... 
eek.gif

Last edited:
Marin only served 44% in the 1st... my goodness. 

EDIT ~ Too many UFE's by Kei... 

Last edited:
Well, Nishikori finally breaks Cilic's service game. At this point, it may not make any difference, though...

Don't mean nuthin' if you don't consolidate. 

Boss-FH winner for the 2nd... yikes. 

EDIT ~ Watching Cilic crush these forehands... poor man's Delpo?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom